Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 12:48 PM

50,818 posts, read 24,321,239 times

Advertisements

I have to admit that I don't quite get this thread. But I guess it's just me. When I have moved to a new place I was always excited to get out there and explore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 02:26 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,646,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Her View Post
Hi All,

I just moved from the west coast to the east coast for graduate school and I'm having such a hard time adjusting.

It's only a year long program, and I was initially so excited, but I'm homesick all the time.

I've only been in my new city a total of a week and haven't even started school yet, but it's so overwhelming. I didn't have any family back west, but I don't have any close family here either...and now I don't know a soul. Trains and subways are so overwhelming, as is living without a car. As this is a temporary move, I only have the bare minimum in my apartment, but I feel so out of place.

How long does it usually take to adjust to a new place? If I'm this sad only a week in, will it just get worse?
How can I make it feel more like home? I'm just counting down the days until I graduate already.
Once school starts your days will have a schedule and organization to them. That will help you feel more adjusted. You'll also be meeting people in classes, and busy with school work, which will fill up your days even more.

Right now, you're just kind of in a limbo situation, waiting for the program to begin. It's normal to feel a little out of sorts in a situation like that. Plus, the holidays are a tough time to be away from home in general.

So, just hang in there. Call friends/family and chat when you feel lonely, but don't hibernate. Look for ways to add a bit of routine to your new situation. For example, find a coffee shop or cafe that you like and make a point of going there several times a week to sit and have something to drink and eat. Soon enough, you'll be feeling much better once the program gets going and you'll likely be too busy to be homesick.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:18 PM
Her Her started this thread

298 posts, read 868,880 times
Thank you so much for your response! I've been studying the train/subway maps, but hanging them up is a great idea! I've checked off the items like grocery stores and coffee, so now I feel like I can start exploring more. I'm learning to navigate my way around the city, and I'm trying to make it a point to venture out somewhere new every couple of days at least - even if it's just a new block. It's been interesting --- especially being a pedestrian and finding that a sidewalk ends!

I added a plant to the apartment, which actually makes it feel more like home. I'm going to be taking your last bit of advice. I do have a lot to be grateful for. Thank you for that reminder. Thanks again for all replies. Happy Holidays!

I'm finally starting to feel a little more settled, and am actually excited for school now!

Old 12-21-2015, 10:22 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
I think it takes at least a year to decide whether or not you like a place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues