Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2015, 09:12 PM

12 posts, read 8,159 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm currently 23 years old and am looking into moving to Champaign, Illinois. I currently live about three hours away. My goal is to attend a community college out there to become a veterinary technician. (I've already looked into accredited schools and decided this school is best for me out of the options.) I will be doing a college visit at the end of this month and also plan to look at apartments just to get an idea of how they are. I've already mapped out apartments (pet friendly, as I have a dog), as well as potential jobs. I plan to finish two classes at this college and apply to the program for fall 2017, however, I would need to finish a couple of basics and start school in fall 2016 there. (Side note: My local community college does not offer these specific courses in case everyone suggests me finishing all coursework before moving, etc.) I will be taking courses at my local community college this spring and will end in May.

I have quite a few questions, so please bare with me!

-I have no previous rental history, so would this process be more difficult? I don't have anyone able or willing to co-sign for me either. I do have credit history with having a secured credit card and car loan.

-Would I be able to cover some costs of off campus housing with school loans? I do plan to work part-time, but I'm not sure if I'm financially able to cover all costs with being a student. If it matters I did not qualify for any grants or subsidized loans, but I was able to take out an unsubsidized loan for my local community college. With turning 24 next year, I'm not sure if my dependency status will change, thus allowing me to qualify for more loans, etc.

-Would three months rent, security deposit, pet fees, etc be enough to move with?

-Apartment or job first?

-When should I realistically plan to be moved in? I'd rather not rush right before fall 2016 semester, so would July/early August be ideal?

-How far in advance should I plan another visit to interview for jobs? Ideally, I would love to work at a veterinarian's office. (It'll look better with my major/give me extra points on my application) I have worked with animals for over 3 years now with being at a veterinarian's office for a little over two years, a dog day care for 10 months, and my current job as a dog walker for three months. However, I will be happy for work any job with animals.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2015, 09:18 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
You're not going to want to hear this, but try to keep an open mind.

You greatly decrease your chances of finding a safe and inexpensive living situation by trying to take a dog with you to college. For example, you might be able to rent a room in a professional couple's house for around $185 - $200 or so, which would greatly help your bottom line, but most of the time a pet isn't going to be allowed.

Check with the housing office at the community college while you are there and look into what's available now, just so you begin to get an idea. It's going to be very difficult to rent an apartment without credit (see if the college has housing -- some do -- and they will take their students without previous credit). You're probably going to have to get into a roommate situation, and -- again -- it's generally the more unsafe situations (bad part of town, etc) where you would be allowed to have a pet.

It's not impossible to do! But if you can rehome your dog and not acquire any more animals until you're in a more stable living situation, you'll greatly help your cause.

Added: make an appointment to talk with a financial aid rep while you are there. He or she can help you with all of your loan questions, plus maybe give you some additional options that you didn't know about.

As for jobs, the sooner the better. Start making contacts ASAP. Drop by the vet offices where you want to work and ask about future openings. Also check with the city animal control and rescues (be sure it's paid work!)

Get on at Meijer if nothing else. No, it's not working with animals, but you'll get a discount on your clothing and groceries, which will also help your bottom line.

https://meijer.shoplocal.com/Meijer

Good luck with your search and your studies!

Old 12-12-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
You're not going to want to hear this, but try to keep an open mind.

You greatly decrease your chances of finding a safe and inexpensive living situation by trying to take a dog with you to college. For example, you might be able to rent a room in a professional couple's house for around $185 - $200 or so, which would greatly help your bottom line, but most of the time a pet isn't going to be allowed.

Check with the housing office at the community college while you are there and look into what's available now, just so you begin to get an idea. It's going to be very difficult to rent an apartment without credit (see if the college has housing -- some do -- and they will take their students without previous credit). You're probably going to have to get into a roommate situation, and -- again -- it's generally the more unsafe situations (bad part of town, etc) where you would be allowed to have a pet.

It's not impossible to do! But if you can rehome your dog and not acquire any more animals until you're in a more stable living situation, you'll greatly help your cause.

Added: make an appointment to talk with a financial aid rep while you are there. He or she can help you with all of your loan questions, plus maybe give you some additional options that you didn't know about.

As for jobs, the sooner the better. Start making contacts ASAP. Drop by the vet offices where you want to work and ask about future openings. Also check with the city animal control and rescues (be sure it's paid work!)

Get on at Meijer if nothing else. No, it's not working with animals, but you'll get a discount on your clothing and groceries, which will also help your bottom line.

Good luck with your search and your studies!
Thank you for your reply! The community college doesn't offer housing options, but have a small list of off campus options. Most, do not allow pets. I have found quite a few places that do allow pets, but the cost is pretty high! If worse comes to worse my dog could possibly stay with my mom until I find a place or to finish school, but I would not want to re-home him. Thank you for your advice in terms of the financial aid office!

Old 12-12-2015, 09:29 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
Yes, leave your dog with your mom. You'll find that your housing options greatly increase. It won't be forever. The time will go fast, and I'll bet you'll really like the area once you get settled.

Old 12-12-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Yes, leave your dog with your mom. You'll find that your housing options greatly increase. It won't be forever. The time will go fast, and I'll bet you'll really like the area once you get settled.
I'll have to see if that's an option. If not, then I suppose I have limited options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues