Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 04:47 PM

128 posts, read 246,659 times

Advertisements

I did a search but did not find a dedicated thread and thought it might be nice to start a list of tips for single women who are moving by themselves! Any tips would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2016, 05:02 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,647,268 times
I can't imagine what would be different, except perhaps for an additional caution not to be intimidated or scammed by moving men.

Old 01-01-2016, 05:12 PM

A very helpful poster in another thread suggested using these boxes since they are small and ideal for organization:
Economy Storage File Box with Lid - 15 x 12 x 10" S-6521 - Uline

Staples Economy Storage Boxes, Letter/Legal Size, 10 Pack | Staples®

Old 01-01-2016, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I can't imagine what would be different, except perhaps for an additional caution not to be intimidated or scammed by moving men.
Good tip, and not insignificant! A single woman can sometimes feel/look helpless and/or overwhelmed. Any specific tips to avoid being scammed?

Old 01-01-2016, 05:54 PM

351 posts, read 491,555 times
I will be moving as a single person - albeit with 3 kids. An idea that immediately comes to mind - hire a reputable moving company. I don't think moving is a place for a single person to cut corners. Pack yourself, but let professionals load, drive and unload. It's one less thing to worry about.

Another tip. Purge and downsize as much as you can. The less you have to manage, the easier the move. I just moved into temp housing before my final move this summer. As good as I was about purging, I'm now dumping more. LOL!

Old 01-01-2016, 06:31 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,601,367 times
My main tip for anyone moving alone:

Before the movers/helpers come, gather up your small valuables and ID/papers (camera, iPad, passport, and so on) and put them in something like a tool box, insulated lunch carrier, or non-purse like container and lock it away in your vehicle. I used a small tool box with some things wrapped in bubble wrap and hid it under the seat. If they are packing your vehicle, my tool box trick would work.

I also stashed some extra cash in the glove compartment, which I locked.

That way, if I got distracted, the chances of anyone robbing me were a lot less. I had some cash on me to pay the movers and for pizza, etc., but I that was kept in my pocket. I *DID NOT* leave out a purse.

My second tip:

If there are maps, extra keys, moving agreements, anything else that's a show stopper if you lose it, put it on the seat of the driver's side in the car. If there's a lot of that stuff, organize it into folders, label those, and put it in a tote bag, placing the tote in the driver's seat.

This way, you always know where your critical items are!

Old 01-03-2016, 02:22 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,647,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lafemmeviolonista View Post
Good tip, and not insignificant! A single woman can sometimes feel/look helpless and/or overwhelmed. Any specific tips to avoid being scammed?
I think the tip is always the same: Do your homework. I remember one or two excellent articles that provided overviews of local regulations and mentioned the reputations of some movers.

I heard a marvelous story once about a women whose belongings arrived, and the movers claimed she owed them some extra money due to some kind of regulation. She said, "Oh? What regulation is that? I'm a lawyer, so tell me exactly what the regulation is, and I'll have my office look it up." The guy backed down immediately, of course.

Old 01-03-2016, 06:43 PM

912 posts, read 914,439 times
Quote:
I did a search but did not find a dedicated thread and thought it might be nice to start a list of tips for single women who are moving by themselves! Any tips would be appreciated.
I have moved as single, with a boyfriend, married, and as a single mom with a newborn. Nothing was different. In all cases you must do your homework, hire reputable help, and be street smart.

Old 01-04-2016, 03:21 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,937,430 times
I am a single woman, age 67, and I moved last July. However, I only moved about 3 miles away.

For the actual move itself, I hired a local moving company that has been around for a long time and is well regarded and reasonably priced although not unusually cheap. They sent 4 men and a truck, who moved everything in 5 hours. I told the movers (when they discreetly fished for information) that I would tip them well if they did a good job, and did that. I gave them $20 each, and they did a phenomenal job - - not one thing was broken or damaged at all. The $80 I spent in tips was a drop in the bucket compared with the overall cost of the move, but I think it paid off.

Unpacking was easy.

The packing was the hard part, for me. If you are over 65, get help with packing. Either hire the movers to do it, or ask friends to help you. I thought I could still do it but it was too much for me. Being stubborn, I did it anyway and shouldn't have.

Pack one or two "Open me First" boxes, with bedding, towel/soap/washcloth, alarm clock, toothbrush, one dish/mug/glass, and so on. Enough so that you can get to sleep after the move and wake up, shower, and dress the next morning. These boxes will be the last ones sealed, and the first ones you open.

If you are making a short move like I did, you can have the utilities and internet turned on before the move.

I can't think of anything else! Really, like others said, it's not much harder than it is for couples. Well, except that you may not be physically capable of doing as much as you expect yourself to do, so baby yourself and get some help.

Old 01-04-2016, 05:30 PM

41,938 posts, read 75,137,295 times
Quote:
1) Get as many friends as you can to help pack, unpack, etc. Bribe them with pizza and beer. Even one friend can make a difference, if only for moral support.
2) Hire a moving company if you can afford it, and hire the best one you can. Get a friend if at all possible to be in the house with you as they're packing up and delivering.
3) Keep your valuables with you, as opposed to in the moving truck. Anything you don't trust to movers, take yourself (for me, that's a long list of heavy items, because I'm a dish collector).Rent a truck or a van if your car isn't big enough (I rented a Suburban, LOL). Also, anything you'll need immediately -- change of clothes, soap and towels, medications, etc. -- move those yourself, too.
4) If you're moving long-distance, make sure you make a precise appointment for delivery of your goods. Check off every box as it comes off the trucks. Make sure the moving company has the precise address.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues