Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 11:06 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times

Advertisements

I ended up selling a few things from the house when I was alone. I wasn't supposed to be alone, but that's how it turned out. They were items small or light enough for me to move but not carry, so I put them on the porch and sat out there until the person showed up. The front door was locked. I called a relative (planned when I found out I'd be alone) when the person pulled up in front of the house and told them to call me in about five minutes. Then I could say, "Can I call you back in a few minutes? The guy from craigslist is here picking up the filing cabinet. Yeah, the guy from the next town. I'll call you back as soon as he leaves." If the person had seemed creepy, I would have stayed on the phone.

In each case we'd had at least several email exchanges and I had a cell number. I asked them to call if they couldn't find my house. A lot of people can't find my house because of the goofy street numbers. The people who came here just wanted to buy something which they wanted or needed for a very reasonable price. All but one person was very nice, relaxed, conversational. That guy seemed very nervous and looked a bit spooked. His eyes were darting around, and I think he was waiting to be ambushed. By whom, I don't know.

Biggest problems I had were the people who didn't have correct change and the one who said he thought I'd confirmed a lower price. Nope. There were two people in his truck, and they both coughed up some cash. Close third was the woman picking up two bookcases who didn't bring her son who was supposed to move them. Thankfully, for her, my son was en route to my house for dinner. Be sure to let people know that you aren't loading the large item.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 01:44 PM

128 posts, read 246,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny536 View Post
I buy and sell a lot on Craigslist. When I can I meet people in a parking lot of a place that people will care if there is a disturbance. (walmart shoppers will keep walking, whole foods shoppers will call the PD) If I can't it's always the garage. I'm also armed. I'm also a guy that's been told I'm intimidating a few times in the past, i don't see it. I have a pick up so I offer delivery to my area. Then i feel a little more comfortable if I know where they live.

I always google every bit of info I can get out of anyone I'm having come by. Email addresses, phone numbers, names, etc. If I come across anything I'm not fond of I stop responding. People share a lot on the internet these days. If I find their facebook or twitter and it's full of family pics and so on I'm thrilled.

If you are concerned about being a cased as a single woman make yourself a script and masculine sounding email address. Be forward and be conveniently unavailable for the time they want to meet or talk on the phone.
"Hi Buyer, I work from home but I'm scheduled to be on a conference call when you plan to stop by. It's probably going to run long. My wife will be here, I won't take less than (price) for the item, please bring exact change and she'll be able to get it to you at that time. Please call or text when you are close so my wife can meet you in the garage. If you ring the bell my pack of feral rabid wolves will bark disrupting this very important call with my clients. Thanks, Tony USMCtonyBLACKBELTdoghandler@yahoo.com"
Hilarious and brilliant. Thanks.

Old 09-05-2016, 02:30 PM

253 posts, read 304,454 times
I think people need to do a better job with risk analysis. You hear one or two stories on the news about bad CL outcomes and think that you need to become a crazy person with how you deal with all things CL (or whatever)? Ugh. Get a grip. There is being cautious, and then there is being dumb.

I'm a single woman and I've sold stuff on CL for years and years. It's really no big deal. For the most part, it's just like any other interaction you have with strange human beings you encounter throughout your day. 9.999 times out of 10, the other person is exactly like you - just someone who wants to make a transaction and go on their way. So many people seem to have some sort of wish/hop that they will be the .001 where something different and maybe even terrible happens. Get over yourself.

If someone is coming to your home, there are some simple steps you'd take just like you'd take when any other stranger comes to your home. You know, like cable person, pest control, plumber, etc. Have the item your are selling easily accessible. Don't leave small valuables sitting out (i.e. put your wallet, jewelry, small electronics out of site). Prop the front door open if it makes you feel better. If it makes you feel even better, let someone know that you have a person coming over to buy something and give the time, their contact info, and promise a call back as soon as you are done and if not they can call the cops or whatever. If you makes you feel even even better, move it to the garage or front yard before they arrive. If you're ridiculous and can't get over your poor risk analysis, have a live feed running on facebook or something so that if anything happens, lots of people can call and there will be a reliable witness.

Again, most people just want to buy and sell something. Stop living your life as though you are going to be the .0001%.

Old 09-05-2016, 02:48 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,090,114 times
My suggestion would be to move the items to the garage, as you have planned. Stay outside of the garage, in the driveway or on the sidewalk and send the buyer into the garage alone to look at the item. Have him come back out to discuss price or whatnot, collect the money, let him move the item out. The point is, do not get in a space where you can be trapped alone with a stranger, man or woman, unless you feel VERY comfortable with the person. And even then stay alert.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:57 PM

57 posts, read 63,788 times
Love all these ideas. I have a few things I'm thinking of selling and I had the same concerns. This thread made me feel a lot better.

Old 09-07-2016, 06:10 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,205,038 times
I would meet at a very public place, with the items in my car. I would never invite strangers to my home under the conditions you've described, alone and rural.

Look for a consignment store for large items and sell them there.

Old 09-07-2016, 08:38 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,953,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeBright View Post
I think people need to do a better job with risk analysis. You hear one or two stories on the news about bad CL outcomes and think that you need to become a crazy person with how you deal with all things CL (or whatever)? Ugh. Get a grip. There is being cautious, and then there is being dumb.

I'm a single woman and I've sold stuff on CL for years and years. It's really no big deal. For the most part, it's just like any other interaction you have with strange human beings you encounter throughout your day. 9.999 times out of 10, the other person is exactly like you - just someone who wants to make a transaction and go on their way. So many people seem to have some sort of wish/hop that they will be the .001 where something different and maybe even terrible happens. Get over yourself.

If someone is coming to your home, there are some simple steps you'd take just like you'd take when any other stranger comes to your home. You know, like cable person, pest control, plumber, etc. Have the item your are selling easily accessible. Don't leave small valuables sitting out (i.e. put your wallet, jewelry, small electronics out of site). Prop the front door open if it makes you feel better. If it makes you feel even better, let someone know that you have a person coming over to buy something and give the time, their contact info, and promise a call back as soon as you are done and if not they can call the cops or whatever. If you makes you feel even even better, move it to the garage or front yard before they arrive. If you're ridiculous and can't get over your poor risk analysis, have a live feed running on facebook or something so that if anything happens, lots of people can call and there will be a reliable witness.

Again, most people just want to buy and sell something. Stop living your life as though you are going to be the .0001%.
Exactly. My ex-husband was the one who had me sell many high dollar items on CL for us. Why? Because I was the hard-A who insisted they pay my asking price for the car/boat whatever we were selling. I asked a fair price, was honest about the item, and expected they pay me a fair amount in return. My buyers did.

I sold stuff whether my husband was there or not. Scammers are pretty easy to spot. You can't live your life in fear. It's funny; the husband is ancient history, yet I still find selling on CL quite useful.

Old 09-07-2016, 05:41 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,365,023 times
Other options for selling old vintage/antique type items:
eBay
Etsy
RubyLane

eBay is bidding for items, Etsy and RubyLane just have a seller's price listed for each item.

You have to pack and mail the stuff. But, the buyer pays for shipping.

Old 09-07-2016, 05:48 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,365,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeBright View Post

Well, it depends upon the type of items being sold.

Crocheted dolls' clothes in a rural town? No reason to get overly paranoid.

Expensive jewelry in a big city? Don't take chances.

It's pretty simple if you live in a central part of a big city in a huge high-rise... I've bought and sold items via CL (kijiji) and I just met people in the building lobby. They had my buzz number, but no other identifying info about me. We'd do the handoff, and that's it, takes 2 or 3 minutes, lots of other people are around, then g'bye.

If I were selling pricey items alone, and had people straight to my address--and coming to my door--well, I don't think I'd walk into that one. Too easy for a grab-and-dash to happen, even if nothing more serious than that were to happen. I really wouldn't want to take chances. I don't think all the scammers are easy to spot either. Lots of people try to see what they can get away with nowadays.

Old 09-07-2016, 06:46 PM

253 posts, read 304,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Well, it depends upon the type of items being sold.

Crocheted dolls' clothes in a rural town? No reason to get overly paranoid.

Expensive jewelry in a big city? Don't take chances.

It's pretty simple if you live in a central part of a big city in a huge high-rise... I've bought and sold items via CL (kijiji) and I just met people in the building lobby. They had my buzz number, but no other identifying info about me. We'd do the handoff, and that's it, takes 2 or 3 minutes, lots of other people are around, then g'bye.

If I were selling pricey items alone, and had people straight to my address--and coming to my door--well, I don't think I'd walk into that one. Too easy for a grab-and-dash to happen, even if nothing more serious than that were to happen. I really wouldn't want to take chances. I don't think all the scammers are easy to spot either. Lots of people try to see what they can get away with nowadays.
Yes, this is where reasonable risk analysis comes in. If it's a small item that's quite pricey, perhaps it makes more sense to sale at an online site like ebay rather than meeting someone in a well-lit public space. Keep in mind that grab and dashes can happen for both the seller and the buyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues