Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 05:18 PM

128 posts, read 246,943 times

Advertisements

I'd love to sell some items via CL and have done so before with excellent results, but this was when I lived in urban areas, in apartments, in younger and more carefree days.

Now I live alone in a house and am wondering if perhaps I could have the items moved into the garage, and then show the items there. I'd also have a gun concealed on me and could even set up a laptop as a webcam and have a friend keep an eye on things via the web.

Does this sound like a good idea or still too much of a safety risk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2016, 05:57 PM

351 posts, read 492,257 times
I think it's safer to meet someone in a public place (say, Target just inside the doors) than have someone come to your home.

Have you tried a local Facebook garage sale site? For some reason, having someone come from a local Facebook group feels safer.

Have someone else at your house. Don't be alone, even in the garage. It's not worth taking the chance.

Old 01-01-2016, 06:14 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
I know where you are coming from!

I'm fine with having people come to my garage, as long as it's daylight and I'm selling large items. I let the neighbors know, and I haven't had a problem. Also, it's been younger women -- I sold a washer and a stove. My garage is in an open spot, not attached to the house.

I think that if I felt the need to have a gun on me, I'd just donate the items to Sally Army (or similar). Thus if you feel unsafe, then your gut is telling you that it's not worth the risk.

Old 01-01-2016, 06:40 PM

128 posts, read 246,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandsam View Post
I think it's safer to meet someone in a public place (say, Target just inside the doors) than have someone come to your home.

Have you tried a local Facebook garage sale site? For some reason, having someone come from a local Facebook group feels safer.

Have someone else at your house. Don't be alone, even in the garage. It's not worth taking the chance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I know where you are coming from!

I'm fine with having people come to my garage, as long as it's daylight and I'm selling large items. I let the neighbors know, and I haven't had a problem. Also, it's been younger women -- I sold a washer and a stove. My garage is in an open spot, not attached to the house.

I think that if I felt the need to have a gun on me, I'd just donate the items to Sally Army (or similar). Thus if you feel unsafe, then your gut is telling you that it's not worth the risk.
Thank you for the input! These would all the larger items - furniture - so not things that I could take to a public place. I actually always carry a gun on me (CCW permit) but you're right, even the garage feels a bit unsafe. My neighborhood is very quiet and it'd be unlikely any passersby would even be out on the street.

Ok, I guess I'll have to inconvenience a friend to come over. The problem with selling multiple items is that I'll have to designate a single pick up day for all the items when my friend will be around (vs. doing it on my own which would allow for more flexibility.)

FB group sounds interesting but unfortunately I'm not on FB!

Old 01-02-2016, 05:08 AM

1,562 posts, read 1,492,131 times
I don't recommend meeting potential buyers at another location, especially for large items. You'll soon find after loading everything up and driving somewhere, they won't show up.

I think you're being overly cautious, really. Definitely move the items to the garage, or even the driveway if possible. Don't show items at night if you're not comfortable doing so. And as always, use common sense when dealing with a stranger. I'm not a woman, but I've sold hundreds of items from my home on CL and never dealt with someone I thought might be dangerous. Bear in mind that buyers are concerned about their safety as you are. Most would prefer not to go into your home.

Old 01-02-2016, 06:37 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
I think the "danger" of selling, regardless if one uses the newspaper, the local shopper paper, craigslist, or any other means of advertising is greatly overhyped!
Yes, there can be danger. For either party. There is always danger when dealing face to face with strangers. Is it worth worrying oneself sick over? I don't think so.
I have sold vehicles, boats, trailers, and tools on craigslist. All were to be picked up at my house, several miles outside the city limits.
Yes, "stuff" happens. Some things, however, while they get a lot of publicity, are so rare that they are not worth worrying about.
Good luck in your sales.

Old 01-02-2016, 11:34 AM

983 posts, read 1,055,525 times
i don't think you are being overly cautious. Of course, I am speaking as another woman here. At the very least, I would want to do the transaction in an open area - in the driveway? NOT in a garage.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:51 PM

60 posts, read 108,601 times
As a woman, I completely understand your concerns. Here's what I'd do -

1. Don't advertise or tell anyone in communications that you're a single woman. Refer to your "husband" in communications.
2. Cash buyers only. Confirm before anyone comes that you will only accept cash. Nothing to do with being a woman, but it keeps the non-serious scammers out of contention, so hopefully whoever does come by is really just wanting whatever you're selling.
3. Get a cheap ring and wear it on your finger to back up the husband.
4. Put it all in your garage, and don't ever let them go into the house.

Also, keeping a concealed gun on you? What about their safety? Put yourself in their shoes - how would you feel if you went to go pick up a table and was met with someone with a concealed gun? I get that you want to protect yourself, but are you really prepared to pull out a gun and shoot someone? Because that's the only reason you'd have a gun handy.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:51 PM

983 posts, read 1,055,525 times
And exact amount of cash only. You do not have money on the premises so you cant give them change.

Old 01-03-2016, 05:10 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
I've sold a fair amount of antique furniture on CL directly from my home, and I'm an old widow. These have been pieces that I wouldn't have been able to get out of the house without help anyway, so there was no way to put them on the sidewalk, and my driveway is way in back of the house in front of the old garage. I've never had a problem, maybe because it's usually women who show up to buy, or sometimes older couples. I guess I live in a fairly safe area anyway; however, I would not let a man come over alone to see stuff (not trying to be sexist - just practical, as I know I couldn't defend myself in case of an attack).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues