Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 12:58 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,248,699 times

Advertisements

Detroit MI and I actually grew there and went to college there after serving in the military. But moving back in 2005, I could not get out of there fast enough. The city I loved as a kid, had turned into third world slum. And I saw many third world slums when I worked for the government in many far away countries.

Old 02-14-2016, 01:53 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times
Detroit, i was there six months, longest five years of my life

Old 02-14-2016, 01:56 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,951,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Olive Branch MS. Winters are cold and nothing to do. Summer is hot with nothing to do. Everyone is at Walmart or out to eat. I could be 300 lbs if I lived there. Eating is the favorite pastime.....
But it beats my hometown of Memphis . . .

My pick for worst place is the Rio Grande Valley of Texas (McAllen, Mission, Brownsville). Unbridled discrimination against anyone not of Mexican descent, including OTM (other than Mexican Hispanics), Anglos, African-Americans, & Asians. Add in the rudeness & pushiness of "Winter Texans" (vacationers from the Upper Midwest & Canada), and it truly is a living hell. Not to mention 100 degrees in January. I was stuck in that pit of anguish for 7 years--I know what I'm talking about.

Unlike maggie2101 I love the Houston area.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:18 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,328,244 times
I think there was a thread about this someplace at some time..

Lewiston, Maine was the worst for me. I tried to make the best of it but it was really horrible, I've lived in some out of the way places....there was just no way to get a job or to get anything going ...Maine's a beautiful state to visit though.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:35 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
I suppose it was Tillicum, WA right across the freeway from Ft. Lewis and Ft. McChord. I don't know if it's better now and, if so, no offense meant to those who make their homes there. I do know that a few years back DH had the TV program "Cops" on and suddenly I recognized Tillicum. Wasn't surprised.

I lived there in the late Sixties and the place was a hotbed of prostitutes, drug-dealers, illegal gambling, criminals and alcoholics. Lots of GIs living there and lots of folks moved in to take advantage of the fresh-from-the-farm GIs.

Funny thing, though - at the time it didn't bother me a bit. Life was one big adventure then.

I also lived in a seedy area of Colfax Ave. in Denver in the early Seventies while my husband did a practicum in the Cherry Creek School District.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:35 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,352,256 times
New Orleans would have to be at the top of my list although Houston would probably fall fairly close behind. I worked in the French Quarter and the area is at best a zoo that, on most mornings, had the stench of a mildewed dishrag and regurgitated beer. The humidity and heat in both cities are unbearable.

But to give credit where credit is due, NOLA had decent music and great food.

Old 02-14-2016, 03:05 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,083,908 times
any city in Ohio and then some ugh !!! also did a stint in NJ and that is truly the armpit of the Americas sorry those of you who live there . I just could not live there any length of time and OMG your taxes are out of this universe .

Old 02-14-2016, 03:40 PM

118 posts, read 131,848 times
Little Rock, Arkansas!Worst drivers and unfriendly people. The only good thing about living here is it's closer to my husband's family in Tennessee.

Old 02-14-2016, 03:43 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,875,021 times
For me, it was the Edgewater neighborhood in Chicago. I lived there as a child, from 1994 thru 1997. Back then, it was pretty rough. The local elementary school had 6 police cars there every morning and afternoon. My family's car got keyed a few times, and our home was broken into once. At least it was burglary and not invasion. Streets had people loitering constantly in front of every apartment building. There was graffiti in the alleys. I wasn't even allowed to go outside without an adult, except in early morning to the bus stop, when the "loiterers" were still asleep.

I was very happy to get out of there. I've been back multiple times as an adult, and the neighborhood improved by leaps and bounds, due to gentrification. I don't see loiterers there anymore, even when walking the streets at night once. The streets kind of look the same: few or no new buildings went up, just some of the old/historic ones were renovated.

Old 02-14-2016, 04:05 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,813,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iruvrice11 View Post
Little Rock, Arkansas!Worst drivers and unfriendly people. The only good thing about living here is it's closer to my husband's family in Tennessee.
I beg your pardon...I am super friendly and a very good driver, No accidents in 35 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues