Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 07:13 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty458 View Post
The northeast. I hate it here! The winter time is just miserable. I grew up in this area and in 2008 moved to Tampa, FL w/ the hubby. However, he hated it there and being so far away from family. We moved back to the icebox in 2014... I'm hoping we can move further south again one day (not as far south as FL) or even out west towards Portland. Not sure if they get the arctic blasts too though. (Last night w/ the windchill -24F)
I can relate. I'm freezing!!! Not only that, I just visited Middletown a few days ago!

Anyway, I'm going to say Memphis was the worst place. The crime there beats nearly every city and I was a single mom there. I was afraid to take the boys camping. I kept a German Shepherd in the car with me every where I went except in the heat of summer if I had to park. AND the heat - 110 heat index EVERY SUMMER sometimes for weeks at a time. I stood on my porch at 10pm feeling like I was in an oven.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:18 AM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post
I have lived in quite a few places. I haven't lived anywhere terrible. I guess my least favorite place was San Diego, which seems to be everybody else's favorite. It just goes to show that different people like different places.
I think it is hard for people to go from one climate to another. I am from Houston, so I could handle New Orleans but may think San Diego is too dry. I always imagined I would like a dry climate, but we had an extreme drought a few years ago and I discovered something strange. I like humidity. I hated having a dry mouth all the time. My skin was cracking in the summer. It was awful!

Old 02-15-2016, 08:12 AM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Quote:
I have lived in quite a few places. I haven't lived anywhere terrible. I guess my least favorite place was San Diego, which seems to be everybody else's favorite. It just goes to show that different people like different places.
I think it is hard for people to go from one climate to another. I am from Houston, so I could handle New Orleans but may think San Diego is too dry. I always imagined I would like a dry climate, but we had an extreme drought a few years ago and I discovered something strange. I like humidity. I hated having a dry mouth all the time. My skin was cracking in the summer. It was awful!
My lips and face get so dry that they bleed when I live in an ultra-dry climate, no matter how much moisturizer I use and even with a humidifier in the house. I nearly kept Chapstick in business singlehandedly when I lived there. The humidity here in New Orleans is really good for my skin. Lack of humidity is just one of many reasons why San Diego, while a very nice town, is my least favorite of the dozens of places where I have lived.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:39 AM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
My lips and face get so dry that they bleed when I live in an ultra-dry climate, no matter how much moisturizer I use and even with a humidifier in the house. I nearly kept Chapstick in business singlehandedly when I lived there. The humidity here in New Orleans is really good for my skin. Lack of humidity is just one of many reasons why San Diego, while a very nice town, is my least favorite of the dozens of places where I have lived.
Strange how the body adjusts to certain things. I am glad you are living the dream. I wish I had loved in different places, but life just didn't go that way for me.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:10 AM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Strange how the body adjusts to certain things. I am glad you are living the dream. I wish I had loved in different places, but life just didn't go that way for me.
Almost everywhere I moved was for the job, including New Orleans. When we retired we thought we'd pick a perfect place with a lower cost of living, lower crime, and no hurricanes, and move there. We determined that for us that would be Springfield, Missouri (thus the SGF in my username). However, at the last minute we decided not to move after all, because we are really happy here.

Then just after we decided not to move (a few years ago), that huge tornado hit Joplin, Missouri which is not too far from Springfield, and we were shocked and SO thankful that we did not have to endure yet another catastrophe. That confirmed that for us, moving would not have made us any happier.

Honestly I think that for us, happiness comes from within and doesn't depend a whole lot on the place, as long as we can live reasonably normal lives there. That "happiness comes from within" may not be true for everyone, but in our case we seem to be pretty happy here.

Last summer I did decide to move into my "dream house", just 3 miles away. A better house was in the back of my mind when we were thinking of moving to Springfield, so now I have that without having to change communities. I love my new-to-me house which is where I am living right now.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:16 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,540,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
Houston, TX was the worst for me. Flat as a pancake, hotter than hell, and humid to boot.
^This up here^

Add to this mix the mass influx of everybody and their grandmother moving here along with a dash of the city struggling to keep up by expanding the infrastructure (constant freeway closures, detours and people that don't know where they're going yet) and you have sheer madness on your hands

embrace the horror

oh and there's big bugs here (huge flying cockroaches to be exact)

Old 02-15-2016, 09:30 AM

118 posts, read 131,925 times
Quote:
I beg your pardon...I am super friendly and a very good driver, No accidents in 35 years.
I'm so sorry to offend you with my comment. I'm glad that you're a good driver but most of the people where I live are just bad and not friendly. My husband and I live in Cabot, so I should say Little Rock and Cabot Arkansas. Again, I didn't mean to offend you.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:54 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Houston, TX was the worst for me. Flat as a pancake, hotter than hell, and humid to boot.
I second Houston, TX. I can't wait to move. I've lived most of my life here but my wife owns her own business, so we're stuck for probably a very long time And maggie didn't mention the horrendous traffic. It's horrible, and the city is dealing with the issue by constructing more and more toll roads.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:19 AM

118 posts, read 131,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
I'm going to have to say Cabot Arkansas...it's a small suburb of Little Rock, about 30 minutes northeast. About 23,000 people. It's also roughly 97% white. These whitefolk here are incredibly close minded and racist. I regularly heard people at the Walmart refer to black people as n*****s. I went to Jr High and high school in Cabot and remember kids naming off all the black people that attended, like it was some sort of game. There is a HUGE prescrip pill and meth problem in the town. There is nothing to do except hang out at Walmart or McDonalds, maybe 1 of the 4 Waffle Houses. No independently owned restaurants, stores or shops - all chains. No cute little downtown, just a 1 lane road through all the fast food chains and gas stations. Hot as all getup in the summer, high tornado risk, drivers who end up upside down in the ditch after 10 snowflakes have fallen, ridiculous amount of religious nutcases, a bunch of rich preppy white kids whose parents buy them all the designer clothes and iphones etc, as well as a bunch of poor reneck white kids who come to school dipping and in dirty jeans/boots/hunting jackets.

Just a horrible place to live.

I have lived in Massachusetts, Florida, New Jersey, California, Arkansas, New York, South Carolina and North Carolina.
I have to agree with you about the drivers here. Their lack of ability to use the turn signals infuriates me and they will ride your bumper although you're already going over the speed limit. And people, specially old people would stare at us. My husband is Caucasian and I'm Asian. I remember the first time we went out to eat at a Cafe in North Little Rock, there were a couple of old people obviously staring at us, so I smiled at one of the old ladies and maybe she was just being friendly or whatever, but she just gave me a blank look. That never happened before when we were living in Washington State or even in Tennessee where my husband is from.

We cannot wait to move!

Old 02-15-2016, 10:36 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,077,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

Break-ins and shootings every day. Hot as all hell. Traffic jams, overwhelming football, and nothing to do but eat eat eat. Really uptight middle class people as well. Very condescending.

Awful, awful place.
Plus, the pollution from the (chemical or oil ?) refineries gives Baton Rouge region the nickname "Cancer alley".

And this tragic incident happened there http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Yoshihiro_Hattori

Last edited by slowlane3; 02-15-2016 at 10:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues