Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 11:19 AM

2,528 posts, read 2,777,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Don't take the roads from Eureka to Redding/Red Bluff. They're a twisty nightmare. It's much better to go to Grants Pass and down I-5. After that, I don't know. But, if there's any chance of snow, take the main highways. Also, I personally avoid the twisty mountain roads because I hate driving them. And they often don't have cell phone service the entire route. If you stick to major highways, you're more likely to have cell service the entire way, in case you need to call for help, etc.

Good luck on your move. Reno is sunnier than CC for sure. But, you'll have to deal with ice and snow now. Brrrr!
That's what I thought re: the twisty part. I can't imagine towing a car trailer behind a Uhaul through there after the stories I've heard from my horse trailer hauling friends. I'll stick to the main roads for safety's sake. Thanks for the info. I'm planning a trip to Eureka from Roseville and was going to go across on 20 to 101 - think I'll stay with that plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 11:50 AM

163 posts, read 418,596 times
Hi everyone.....updates, so we're all on the same page.....we are moving from Crescent City CA to Hartford Wisconsin. We are no longer driving a U-haul and towing the car. We decided to call a moving company and have them do the grunt work. So now we are only driving our car. I am calling CC to Reno "the first leg of the trip" because I was trying to figure out the best way to get to I-80 in winter, dealing with the mountains, etc.

KaaBoom...you mentioned "Highway 140 through Klamath Falls to Winnemucca" --- my concern for this route is that it is remote. It was awesome in September, but maybe not so much in March.

As for the alternate route through the Klamath Mountains, my daughter thought it would be a shorter route if we went from Redding to Eureka. Haha...never again!!

Looks like we better stick to I-5. I'm just hoping for good weather!

Old 02-21-2016, 04:12 PM

Thanks for coming back and updating us. Good luck on your trip and your move. I think your current plan is the best solution all the way around. Safe travels!

Old 02-22-2016, 01:47 AM

One more question.....since we are taking I-5 down to I-80, which is the best way across from 5 to 80 without going all the way into Sacramento....or is there a way?

Old 02-22-2016, 04:03 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,027,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy T View Post
Hi everyone.....updates, so we're all on the same page.....we are moving from Crescent City CA to Hartford Wisconsin. We are no longer driving a U-haul and towing the car. We decided to call a moving company and have them do the grunt work. So now we are only driving our car. I am calling CC to Reno "the first leg of the trip" because I was trying to figure out the best way to get to I-80 in winter, dealing with the mountains, etc.

KaaBoom...you mentioned "Highway 140 through Klamath Falls to Winnemucca" --- my concern for this route is that it is remote. It was awesome in September, but maybe not so much in March.

As for the alternate route through the Klamath Mountains, my daughter thought it would be a shorter route if we went from Redding to Eureka. Haha...never again!!

Looks like we better stick to I-5. I'm just hoping for good weather!
That will add an extra 200 plus miles to your trip. About and extra three plus hours of driving, and you would have to go over the Siskiyou and Donner Passes. Which could be snowing. Do you really want to add that on to an already long trip, and take a chance on the weather on the passes?

Old 02-22-2016, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy T View Post
One more question.....since we are taking I-5 down to I-80, which is the best way across from 5 to 80 without going all the way into Sacramento....or is there a way?
This was part of my post #7 above. It was part of a longer question. Anyway, check it out - it will save you miles.

99/70 to 65 to 193 to Sierra College Blvd to 80 would avoid the Sacramento traffic. Or even 90/70 > 65 > 80.

You'd take Highway 20 east off of I-5 into Yuba City, then pick up 99/70 from there.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:47 PM

Hi everyone, thought I would come back to tell you we made our move and we are settled in Wisconsin. Since I don't drive distances well, hubby did all the driving. We made the trip in 5 days with our very overloaded car. The rest of our stuff is coming via United on the 12th. After double-checking the weather, we decided to drive to Klamath Falls the first night, then Wendover Utah, then Cheyenne Wyoming, Omaha Nebraska and home. We had dry weather all the way.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:33 PM

Thanks for coming back to let us know! I've been wondering how your trip went, especially with the weather lately. Enjoy your new home!

Old 03-08-2016, 01:04 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Well done! Hope you settle in happily.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:57 AM

I forgot to mention, it was holy cow windy through Wyoming and I-80 was closed to light trailers but our car drove it like a bullet. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues