Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 08:42 PM

208 posts, read 169,483 times

Advertisements

Hello all!
My hubby and I are moving from NJ to Florida this coming July, and we are moving boxes and other small sized items. We want to rent a small truck with one of these "tow hooks" to attach my husband's car to it, and make the drive down.

Does anyone have suggestions of the best, most affordable companies for this? thank you!
(So far, I found U-Haul and Budget. Would like to know if there are any other better options)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 08:56 PM

13,074 posts, read 20,743,584 times
The players are Uhaul, Penske, Ryder, Budget and Enterprise for truck rentals. Some may not have tow dollies or trailer so you may have to rent a truck from one and the tow equipment from another.

Old 03-13-2016, 06:34 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,605 posts, read 57,568,971 times
For rental moving trucks, i insist on penske with Dt 466 diesel.
Economy is 2x the generic / gm diesels
The penske truck is on a heavy duty class 6 frame with good brakes
It handles wind and hills.

The others are light duty / weight versions.

I have driven for several people across USA, as well as have my own semi trucks.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:46 AM

160 posts, read 203,299 times
We rented a 24 foot Budget truck for our move from Florida to Charlotte...nice space but comfort level was horrible. In general the seats were uncomfortable and the truck moved and jumped a bit when we braked. It came to $345 for 3 days and it had the capability of towing but we just didn't use it. I know you will need a much smaller truck but not sure how the comfort level or handling of a smaller budget truck would be.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:02 PM

Thank you so much everyone for the great suggestions and input!
Smoothly323, Thank you for the link, about to check it out! When you say containers, do you mean plastic bins or something similar? We are thinking of using bins instead of cardboard boxes, thinking they could be reused after the move for storage. Do you think that's a good idea? Do you have suggestions for better containers?

Old 03-17-2016, 09:41 AM

922 posts, read 1,102,250 times
Go with Penske! Reliable trucks with heavy-duty capabilities- those other trucks just don't compare. I've never heard good things about U-haul unless it's a short move within a few cities.

*I've driven from CA to AR in a 25+ foot Budget truck loaded to the hilt. It was bumpy as he&& and horribly uncomfortable. Not to mention it barely made it up any sort of hill.

*I've also driven from CA to TX with a 26 ft Penske truck that was towing an SUV and it was smooth sailing the whole way.

*My MIL just drove her houseful of goods from CA to TX (by herself!) in a Penske truck and she found it easy to handle and very reliable.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:05 AM

7,138 posts, read 10,975,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candh07 View Post
Smoothly323, Thank you for the link, about to check it out! When you say containers, do you mean plastic bins or something similar? We are thinking of using bins instead of cardboard boxes, thinking they could be reused after the move for storage. Do you think that's a good idea? Do you have suggestions for better containers?
I like plastic storage bins for moving. But make sure they are strong enough to be stacked. Those cheap $5 type from Target are not strong enough to stack anything except if they are filled with light stuff like clothes.

Now pretty much everything I own, that I’m not using, is stacked inside my closets in stackable plastic bins. The next time I move, they will be ready to go right in the truck, without packing.

Also last year when I moved, the U-Haul I rented had a leaking roof. Rain water pored in on top of everything. Fortunately all I had to do was wipe the water of the top of the bins. I had no significant water damage to anything. If not for the plastic bins, I would have had a lot of water soaked cardboard boxes. They also help keep stuff dry, if you end up having to load stuff when it’s raining.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:40 PM

7,471 posts, read 13,480,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candh07 View Post
What Smoothly323 more likely meant in the context of that post were the "you load/we drive" moving/storage containers like from UPack, PODS, PackRat, etc

http://www.upack.com/moving-services...-container.asp
PODS
https://www.1800packrat.com/
Moving Companies | Portable Storage & Moving Containers - Compare Us to PODS ® | United Mayflower Containers

Old 03-17-2016, 09:10 PM

35 posts, read 105,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
What Smoothly323 more likely meant in the context of that post were the "you load/we drive" moving/storage containers like from UPack, PODS, PackRat, etc

http://www.upack.com/moving-services...-container.asp
PODS
https://www.1800packrat.com/
Moving Companies | Portable Storage & Moving Containers - Compare Us to PODS ® | United Mayflower Containers
Yeah, that's exactly what I meant. All of the above links are worth checking out!

Old 03-20-2016, 08:38 PM

Ok guys, thanks for all the links and suggestions! What a great help! So I did a little research, and want to post what I found, in case that can help someone else. We are moving from NJ to FL, about 1100 miles, renting a 16' truck with a tow hitch, and our stuff is the equivalent of a 2 bedroom:
Penske quotes me at $1,873.20, Uhaul at $2,347.00 , and Budget $2,119.73.
Thank you Berrie143 for suggesting Penske, not only you tried and proved them, but they also are the most economical!
As for the plastic bins, we will purchase our own, since we will need them for a future move (from the apartment we'll be renting at first into a house!).
I was thinking of using the "cheap Target kind", but all of a sudden, changed my mind (Thanks Kaaboom!) Where did you buy the ones you used? Any suggestions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues