Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2016, 04:41 PM

757 posts, read 1,094,789 times

Advertisements

I'm moving in about a week and a half from Denver to San Diego. I don't have time (or much luck) in selling the stuff I don't want so I'm donating it.

But what to do with things like:

1.) Camping Equipment
2.) Bins of nails/screws, tools
3.) Coleman camping stove canisters
4.) Air Mattresses
5.) Coolers
6.) Empty plastic bins

Most everything that I am not shipping back will go into a local storage unit until I get my feet under me in San Diego. I want to keep my storage size and moving costs to a minimum and figure it's best to donate or throw away. I also figure, it I move it or store it, it will cost $.

But is it worth keeping the camping boxes/home repair (tools, nails, etc.) as the cost will be minimal to store and move or best just to get rid of it and start over once I get settled?

I use the camping gear but it's cheap stuff. The best part is that it's all in a box and organized after years of trial and error but again, I can buy it on the other side.

I wish I had more time to sell things but I don't. The furniture that I don't like along with books and old kitchen items are easy decisions but the smaller things seem to be causing me to over-think it. "It's not that heavy or bulky, maybe I should store and move it but then again, it's cheap stuff that really doesn't justify storing and moving".

That's what's going through my head
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 05:06 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,614,777 times
One of my guidelines for what to keep is how much am I using it now? If not much, why not? Then, will I use it more when I move? For many things, the answer was no.

Camping gear is a gray area for me anyway. I always have two working lanterns, a multi-fuel double burner stove, small bottle of fuel, and a small and large cooler, large enough to hold the contents of the freezer in the event of a prolonged power outage in the summer.

This stuff doubles as emergency equipment for me. However, I no longer have two large back packs, multiple sleeping pads, and several weights of sleeping bags. Nor do I have a box of lightweight cookware. I did keep one Alpine pot and one pan . . .

I generally have to use this type of equipment at least once a year, either for an emergency or because I take it along on a road trip. Given the cost of eating out, I tend to make my own breakfast and lunch.

More than you asked, but this is an example of the thought process I use.

Old 06-03-2016, 05:48 PM

174 posts, read 257,856 times
We, too are preparing to move and have had the same struggle with deciding what to keep and what to donate/sell. We decided that if we didn't have an immediate need for the items when we reached our new destination, we would not store them or keep them. There is a cost to storing things and moving things. DH is keeping only the special tools that he uses often and that are costly to replace. We got rid of all the nails and smaller tools, and only keep essentials, like a hammer, pliers, etc. Got rid of all camping equipment except for a small one burner stove for days when the power goes out. Kept a cooler because it was new. Got rid of lots of plastic bins. Saved some that we will use for packing and moving. Basically, trying to take only things we are sure that we will use often. If in our new location, we find the need for something that we got rid of, we'll go out and buy it. But most likely, if we didn't use it on a regular basis here, we will most likely not use it in our new location. Sometimes I keep an item because it is small and doesn't take up much room. But then I realize that I justify keeping another small item and then another and another. Before I know it, I have boxes of "small" items that I'm not even sure I really want or will ever use again. Then I rethink it and decide not to take them. I don't need more stuff, especially stuff that I may not even use. Best of luck to you.

Old 06-03-2016, 05:59 PM

757 posts, read 1,094,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldentraveler View Post
We, too are preparing to move and have had the same struggle with deciding what to keep and what to donate/sell. We decided that if we didn't have an immediate need for the items when we reached our new destination, we would not store them or keep them. There is a cost to storing things and moving things. DH is keeping only the special tools that he uses often and that are costly to replace. We got rid of all the nails and smaller tools, and only keep essentials, like a hammer, pliers, etc. Got rid of all camping equipment except for a small one burner stove for days when the power goes out. Kept a cooler because it was new. Got rid of lots of plastic bins. Saved some that we will use for packing and moving. Basically, trying to take only things we are sure that we will use often. If in our new location, we find the need for something that we got rid of, we'll go out and buy it. But most likely, if we didn't use it on a regular basis here, we will most likely not use it in our new location. Sometimes I keep an item because it is small and doesn't take up much room. But then I realize that I justify keeping another small item and then another and another. Before I know it, I have boxes of "small" items that I'm not even sure I really want or will ever use again. Then I rethink it and decide not to take them. I don't need more stuff, especially stuff that I may not even use. Best of luck to you.
That makes sense to me and appreciate your suggestion and Meemur's suggestion too.

Old 06-03-2016, 06:10 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,263,996 times
Sell/donate everything except what you can fit in your vehicle and some minor shipping. It's a very liberating experience to get rid of all that "stuff" that just accumulates.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:02 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,079,202 times
If you are going to keep using it, just keep it. If you wont be able to take it with you, just ship it. (uship.com) Donate the rest; churchs, schools, camps, goodwill, or even that nice kid a few houses down who can help you do a few things for your move. Let them appreciate it if its just going to be a hassle.

You can always just do a bulk listing for like items on cragslist, camping lot, home repair stuff.

Old 06-03-2016, 10:35 PM

8,153 posts, read 8,359,535 times
Sell it cheap on craigslist. If cheap enough it will go in a day.

Old 06-06-2016, 03:54 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,370,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Sell it cheap on craigslist. If cheap enough it will go in a day.
This.

If it isn't selling, you can give it away for free on Craigslist too. People will jump at anything that's being given away for free. So let someone else cart away your heavy junk!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues