Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2016, 03:07 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,107,581 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. This may end up being more a vent than anything else, but if anyone has else can commiserate or has any words of advice I would appreciate them!

My boyfriend and I made the decision to move to Florida a few months ago. It's a place we both wanted to live prior to meeting one another, so it made sense. We've been dating almost two years. We don't live in the same state right now. He's a consultant and his job has taken him to many places over the years. Mostly recently he was assigned to my state for a couple years and that's how we met. He's never lived full time where I do, but his company paid for him to travel back and forth frequently. His contract in my state recently ended and he has been waiting for another assignment. He can be based wherever he wants as a lot of his job is remote, but his company is really dragging their feet on giving him another assignment and he may end up being laid off.

My job is pretty versatile, so I don't think I'll have trouble finding one in Florida, but I have a house I need to sell. It's been a few months and some very interested people...but no offers. We knew working out the logistics was going to be tough, but it's tougher and taking longer than we anticipated. We've taken a few scouting trips to where we want to be. We're so ready to just be there!

It feels like things are never going to come together! Can anyone else relate? These logistics are killing me and there's only so much I can do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 04:55 AM

86 posts, read 88,432 times
I understand your frustration and feel some of it myself in our situation. We started to think about moving back to my home state of Connecticut about 2 years ago. Fortunately we were able to sell our house 4 years ago so we didn't have that to worry about and rented something cheap so we could save money. In the mean time as of last year we decided we really wanted to make the move. My family is there, we spend a lot of our free time going back and forth and we love the area. We have had to face road blocks since then. It's hard to find a job being out of state and it's hard to find a rental in the area without a job. There have also been some health issues and we have good insurance here through my wife's employer. We are so ready to be out of here as well but even if we found a rental who knows how long it will take to find a job? It doesn't take long to burn through savings. We are fortunate to have family in the area and I was told I could get health insurance through connecticuts Husky Health Plan-D to get started but it's a gamble with no job. It's tough to want to go but it's a process and it will happen at the right time for you. We first..paid off all our medical bills...saved our money for over a year for the move, separate from our savings, started cleaning out our apartment of things we don't want to take and started looking at job and housing websites. Hang in there and stay focused on the goal and take small steps to get there.Good Luck..hopefully I will be hearing from you when I am back in Connecticut

Old 06-01-2016, 07:30 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,608,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I have a house I need to sell. It's been a few months and some very interested people...but no offers.
That's something you may want to discuss with your realtor. It might be priced too high for the area or there could be something else. What sort of feedback have you been getting?

Apologies in advance if this sounds like woo-woo, but sometimes blockages are put in our way for a reason. Maybe this isn't the right partner for you or maybe Florida isn't the right place. After you've exhausted logical avenues, you may want to examine your plans more carefully and try something else. Maybe your potential partner should live with you for awhile, for example.

Just something to think about.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:14 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,107,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekoe12 View Post
I understand your frustration and feel some of it myself in our situation. We started to think about moving back to my home state of Connecticut about 2 years ago. Fortunately we were able to sell our house 4 years ago so we didn't have that to worry about and rented something cheap so we could save money. In the mean time as of last year we decided we really wanted to make the move. My family is there, we spend a lot of our free time going back and forth and we love the area. We have had to face road blocks since then. It's hard to find a job being out of state and it's hard to find a rental in the area without a job. There have also been some health issues and we have good insurance here through my wife's employer. We are so ready to be out of here as well but even if we found a rental who knows how long it will take to find a job? It doesn't take long to burn through savings. We are fortunate to have family in the area and I was told I could get health insurance through connecticuts Husky Health Plan-D to get started but it's a gamble with no job. It's tough to want to go but it's a process and it will happen at the right time for you. We first..paid off all our medical bills...saved our money for over a year for the move, separate from our savings, started cleaning out our apartment of things we don't want to take and started looking at job and housing websites. Hang in there and stay focused on the goal and take small steps to get there.Good Luck..hopefully I will be hearing from you when I am back in Connecticut
Thank you! I hope things come together for you soon too! It's a lot of work coordinating everything that's for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
That's something you may want to discuss with your realtor. It might be priced too high for the area or there could be something else. What sort of feedback have you been getting?

Apologies in advance if this sounds like woo-woo, but sometimes blockages are put in our way for a reason. Maybe this isn't the right partner for you or maybe Florida isn't the right place. After you've exhausted logical avenues, you may want to examine your plans more carefully and try something else. Maybe your potential partner should live with you for awhile, for example.

Just something to think about.
I will definitely check in with my realtor about the house. No offense, but it does sound like woo-woo. I don't think obstacles are put in our way to prevent us from doing things. A lot of people face obstacles along the way to get to where they want to be. They don't take it as a sign from up above. We knew it would be tough to coordinate, but I still feel confident it can be done...just getting discouraged at the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues