Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 09:25 AM

68 posts, read 63,705 times

Advertisements

When we move in 2022 our pets are going to be up there in age. The four cats will be between 10-8 years old and the two dogs will be both 8. I know they are not elderly elderly, but still old.

We are moving from TX to OR and have three options.

Drive with them.
Put them on a pet transport.
Fly them out.

I vote for drive with them, but my dad wants to either put them on a transport or (this he would really like) fly out with them. He also thinks they'll allow four cats in the cabin.

To break it down more:
12lb Dachshund mix
40lb Husky mix

One cat is a short hair, one is long, one is medium hair length and one is disabled (born without lower hind legs).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 10:41 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,944,661 times
I would talk to your veterinarian. The best option is to plan to have them travel with you~animals are easily stressed when traveling, and having their owners with them will alleviate some of it. Your animals will not really be elderly, but having someone with them that knows their schedule will ease the transition for them. You can stop and let them out (teach your cats to walk on a leash for stretch breaks while traveling) and keep them hydrated, fed and if necessary give them medication for car sickness if necessary. When you get ready to move, make sure they are up to date on inoculations, take plenty of their own food and water and ask for your records when you make your last visit to the vet so that you have them for when you relocate.

The second option would be a pet transport service with a good reputation. You should expect references, ask questions, make sure they are insured and bonded etc.

I personally would never fly that many animals to a new place~too risky in my opinion.

Old 06-08-2016, 02:47 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Drive w/ them for sure!

Old 06-10-2016, 01:52 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,303,369 times
My cat flew from CA to NC when he was 17 years old. He lived just shy of 21 years.

I'm just sayin'

Old 06-11-2016, 01:10 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
I would drive with them. Having you with them would be far more reassuring and I don't know of any airline that would allow that many pets at once as I have heard each flight is usually capped with space for no more than a couple. A great many hotel chains are now pet-friendly but the only drawback is that some are supposedly pet-friendly (but not cats..??) and most have restrictions for how many (maximum 2 pets per room). I have found being forthcoming about having them is the way to go but they don't need to necessarily know the truth about how many if this is a one time thing trying to move form City "A" to City "B". Your best scenario is to book/reserve at the all-suite properties or older-style chain motel which don't require having to roll everyone/everything past the scrutiny of the front desk clerk since they typically have exterior access rooms. Candlewood Suites and Mainstay Suites are both dog and cat friendly as are traditional motels like Red Roof Inn and Motel 6 which usually have exterior access rooms too. Also to help keep them calm but not heavily sedated which can make some animals sick, try Bach's Rescue Remedy for Pets which is all natural and works to calm them down without heavy drowsiness. You'll want to give it a week or so prior to make sure you have the right dosage for each, but otherwise a much better approach in my opinion. It's available online or at health food strores and natural foods grocery stores. Rescue Remedy

Old 06-11-2016, 01:15 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,530,624 times
If your pets have not traveled, you should take short trips to get them used to it. Buy crates & get them used to sleeping in them...and in case of cats especially, get them used to traveling in crates.

Old 06-13-2016, 01:28 AM

1,884 posts, read 3,033,508 times
Just got back from TN to CA with our elderly cat and little dog flying with us in the cabin.

Your two dogs would be sent as cargo, and not be allowed in the cabin, because they are too big. THAT is dangerous, lots of animals die in cargo. They really do not feed and water them, and they can get packed with other stuff around them reducing their airflow, and sometimes their crates break and they get out. No one at the airline will care. DO NOT send you pets as cargo!

They will (DELTA) allow up to 5 pets in the cabin with people per flight. Pet tickets are $125 per pet carrier per direction. They will allow little kittens to share a pet carrier, etc. so it is by carrier, not pet for in cabin...but you can not put two full sized kitties in one carrier, just kittens. The kitties REPLACE your carry on piece of luggage, so you will only be allowed a purse or whatever. The carrier must fit under the seat. You must have a 'people' ticket for each pet ticket as the pet is a 'people ticket's' carry on luggage piece. You will NOT be allowed to get your boarding pass EXCEPT at special services where they make sure your carrier will fit under that specific plane's seats. And they will tell you the under the seat size when you pre-order the space on the phone 14 days before the flight.

Our kitty was excellent on the plane, dog was going, but coming back she was taking command of the plane and had to bark a few times at the beverage cart who was too close to her turf.

We have also driven from CA to TN and back with kitties and dog. Kitties talk about it for the first hour, then just go to sleep or look around. BUT take the pets all on a trip every few days for a short drive to get them used to the car, and make sure every one has a travel carrier. And NEVER put a pet by an airbag as it will kill them, even in a carrier it will smash the door or side of the carrier into them.

I would recommend the driving for you...too many for one plane trip, and the dogs would be cargo.

Professional pet movers would not be as good as driving with the people they know and love...

Old 06-13-2016, 05:12 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
My friend is a pilot for one of the large airlines. He is also an animal lover. He told me he would NEVER fly any of his animals.

Old 06-13-2016, 05:49 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
My cat flew from CA to NC when he was 17 years old. He lived just shy of 21 years.

I'm just sayin'

Agreed. Contrary to popular belief, flying a pet is a very safe way to travel. After all, they're going on the same plane humans travel. I've flown Great Danes on United PetSafe's program and they take very good care of the animals. I actually think this might be the best option because it reduces the travel time enormously. They will be stressed no matter what. Minimizing the time that is happening would be best, IMO.

Pet transport services offer the worst of all worlds, IMO. Although the pets are usually cared for well, they are still traveling by ground in the company of strangers. If you are going to drive them, you should accompany them at least. Otherwise, what's the point?

Old 06-13-2016, 10:27 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,636,424 times
Question: Why are you worrying what might happen 6 years down the road (in 2022) from now? You may need to assess what is best for each of the pets at that point.... not 6 years in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues