U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 08:51 AM

5,314 posts, read 6,843,092 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are planning our move from Rhode Island to Nevada. We anticipate moving in late Summer. I have a sales job that I can keep and work from home as it is all telephone and computer. My wife is a full-time student and is talking with colleges about transferring credits to continue her degree. We anticipate moving expenses of approx. $4000, $3000 for move-in fees, and $2000 in new furnishings (to supplement what we leave behind). We will have $20,000 saved by then, so $11,000 left over. We like to keep a cushion, as my job is commission-based and fluctuates. I may seek to add a more steady, reliable income once we get there, but it will depend on the opportunities. I don't think we would be able to do this without any income lined up.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 11:31 AM

1,734 posts, read 2,099,942 times
My wife and I saved about 12-14 months of living expenses. It would have been higher, but the move is costing more than we anticipated. Some of that cost is getting licensed in the other state, so that wouldn't affect most people. Imo I would have to say 12 months minimum without a job, and 6 with a job. Nothing can make a move worse than worrying about money.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:29 PM

69 posts, read 107,698 times
Well we moved from California to Florida when I was 17 (still single and with my folks) with some savings and no jobs lined up, it was hard not knowing anyone and adjusting.
Now I'm 31 and moving in 3 weeks to Dallas with my wife and son,but luckily this time the company paid for the entire move plus helped us sell our house payed sales commisions and closing costs on our new Dallas home. If I had to make an estimate I would say everything together cost the company about 35k, that's the main reason we jumped at the chance (not to mention the pay raise)

I'd probably have a hard time moving again unless it was a similar scenario as it takes a huge weigth and stress of your shoulders, But if I had to do it out of my pocket I would say the main thing wouldn't be the money for the move but rather actually having a job lined up IMO.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:00 AM

4,081 posts, read 4,628,331 times
No job- at least $25k (depending on where you live or plan to move to- ex CA or NY)

Job- $15 k

Money needed for remodeling, furniture, automotive expenses, healthcare, pets.. add up quickly.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:03 PM
PDF

11,389 posts, read 11,519,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat949 View Post
No job- at least $25k (depending on where you live or plan to move to- ex CA or NY)

Job- $15 k

Money needed for remodeling, furniture, automotive expenses, healthcare, pets.. add up quickly.
It really depends on the person. That'd be overkill for most people.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:15 PM

3,673 posts, read 6,810,418 times
The first time my husband and I moved from Florida to nh we had less than $500 cash and he had a job as a cop. We were without a child, just a dog and 24. We ended up cashing out all our savings bonds ($8,000) to keep our heads above water with car registration, license changes, insurance , and heating come winter.Now with a child not a chance on this earth I would t move with at least 8+ grand and both had jobs and housing lined up. We had thought about going out to Cali for a while and with the COS difference I might even dare say 10+ k saved

Old 01-30-2013, 02:32 PM

18,847 posts, read 33,844,028 times
Wow! If I needed 25K saved before a move, it would never happen. Ever. Nothing wrong with dumping stuff, putting some things in storage, driving to the new placen and doing some "car camping" for awhile, with cowboy baths as needed. And eating one meal a day out, Subway is cheap. I have moved with almost nothing, and made it work.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:03 PM

736 posts, read 1,400,233 times
I'm moving from Oregon to Florida with around 13k and a free place to stay.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:22 PM

803 posts, read 1,484,851 times
I think local demand, cost-of-living and time of year are the factors to consider when determining how much to save.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:13 AM
PDF

11,389 posts, read 11,519,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Wow! If I needed 25K saved before a move, it would never happen. Ever. Nothing wrong with dumping stuff, putting some things in storage, driving to the new placen and doing some "car camping" for awhile, with cowboy baths as needed. And eating one meal a day out, Subway is cheap. I have moved with almost nothing, and made it work.
Agreed. I would love to have 25K saved, but that's just not possible. Maybe you need that much if you're living on a couple grand a month.

But I'm young, and can live fairly cheaply. I'm moving in less than 3 weeks on almost 17 grand, I'll be fine. Chances are I'll find a job within a month or two anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues