Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 10:29 AM

35,051 posts, read 31,251,460 times

Advertisements

How much you need largely depends on your lifestyle, distance you're movingwhether you're moving all your stuff or just buying it over, whether or not you are selling/buying a home, debt load, etc. One amount can't fit everyone's needs.

I did it halfway across the country with under 4k. I literally loaded up my clothes, personal items, etc, in my car and just drove off. I bought furniture there, then moved back in six months. The value of the furniture wasn't worth the cost of a UHaul plus its gas, so I sold what I could and gave the rest away.

If I were to give a young, single person advice on a long move, it would be to sell everything you can in your former location, then move. Get as short of a lease as possible (especially if it's a place you've never been to). get cheap furniture off craigslist, and keep expenses to a bare minimum for at least six months. It's always best to live modestly for a few months until you can tell whether or not the job will work, whether or not you like the area, etc, before committing large amounts of money or resources and end up leaving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 02:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,284 times
I move a lot Seattle, Montana, Vegas (cheapest living), Los Angeles, San Diego etc to name a few. First try to get a job before you move. Depending on your profession there will be different demands, and salary in different parts of the country. Try looking at housing prices also super important. Vegas a 2000 sq ft house in a gated safe community (horrible school system tho worst in the USA) $1000 a month and there was cheaper places in nicer areas (im lazy n left it to a realtor). San Diego tho for the same price you get a tiny studio. So look up places and jobs and consider moving a little (month is what i did) before your family. You have to protect and care for your family, and make sure they are taken care of first and foremost. I always had a job before I moved and if I was smart a place to live. Moving is expensive a U haul with fuel and trailer for the car was over $1200 every time. thats quite a dent if you only have $5000. I moved to Vegas with $600 once and did fine when I split with my ex once and did just fine. I rolled into town and got a job within an hour and rented a room from a friend with a big bullmastiff, which was luck and the help of struggling friends. just consider all the costs and what you will need to be okay. everything can be found out with a few hours on the internet searching jobs, homes, etc. good luck.

Old 01-06-2015, 07:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,093 times
I'm an American originally from the U.S. east coast. Recently I completed an education in Europe and now I want to move from Europe to California for the first time.

I have enough saved up to go for six months without a job. My biggest fear is running out of money in my new home state and having no place to go.

Although I'm very excited about moving to California, the thought of ending up on the streets or in a shelter gets me paranoid.

I located cheap storage space facilities in the area where I could put all my stuff in case things don't work out. Such storages can be as cheap as $20/month depending on the size.

My nerves had better hold up until I find a job and hope I won't have a complete nervous breakdown and end up on the streets if I don't find work on time.

What calms me is knowing that I'm trying to accomplish something that's risky yet rational and that I'll get to experience a wonderful new place no matter what.

My advice would be to check out services that offer cheap storage space and travel as lightly as possible.

Old 03-12-2017, 05:39 PM

2 posts, read 2,307 times
I have a question. I am an 49 yr old single lady looking to move to Chattanooga from Michigan. I am wondering how far in advance should I start looking for an apt to rent. I work in the medical field and I am currently taking online courses for Health Care Adm....I am looking to save 10k to hold me off for a few months. I'm also wondering is it possible to rent an apt if I'm able to pay it for 6 months in advanced. I'm also considering leaving my furniture in Michigan till I'm able to secure a job if I don't have one before I leave.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-15-2017, 07:04 PM

17,296 posts, read 12,225,030 times
I would not move without a job secured first at all without some passive income from owned rental homes or some such.

If you are trying to rent without a job in a desirable area good luck with that. Qualifier for that with the last property management company I worked with was 90 days’ worth of bank statements, showing a balance equal to 3 times the rent, times the term of the lease. So on a $1200 lease you needed to have $43k documented in savings. You can't just pre-pay rent for the term.

The way I made the cross country move was by taking my job that allowed working remotely with me. Do that or find a job that has an office where you want to live and try for a transfer. Alternatively be prepared to fly on your dime for interviews for the job search and be up front that you will cover relocation expenses(presuming you are not being head hunted where they would cover that).

Old 03-15-2017, 08:29 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,570,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdeborah48 View Post
I have a question. I am an 49 yr old single lady looking to move to Chattanooga from Michigan. I am wondering how far in advance should I start looking for an apt to rent. I work in the medical field and I am currently taking online courses for Health Care Adm....I am looking to save 10k to hold me off for a few months. I'm also wondering is it possible to rent an apt if I'm able to pay it for 6 months in advanced. I'm also considering leaving my furniture in Michigan till I'm able to secure a job if I don't have one before I leave.
I am not familiar with the rental market in the area you speak of, but in general, it is actually easier to find an apartment on short notice than longer in advance, since a landlord doesn't want to promise you a unit that will be vacant between the time the contract is signed and when you move in. That costs the landlord money (lost rent) after all.

I would suggest looking at apartments about 15-20 days before you are going to move.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:56 PM

876 posts, read 812,518 times
There is no magic number, but I consider a bare minimum to be around 6 months of living expenses in the area you're moving to, with no job.

Unless your career has really stalled, or you're moving to a economically depressed area (most people are moving away from that) you should be able to find something to at least sustain yourself within that time period.

Also, it depends greatly on what you're willing to endure, if you have a spouse or pets, and how many household goods you have.

Personally, I feel comfortable moving to any metro area in the lower 48 with a minimum of $10,000, with no job lined up or place to live. That being said, there is a level of uncertainty and stress you have to be able to deal with. And I don't have a problem temporarily living with roommates. I don't make a lot of money, but there are actually more jobs at staff level than management, so I can easily find temp work to pay the rent.

Old 03-17-2017, 04:42 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,363,735 times
You might be reasonably confident of finding a job--but where will you live in the meantime? That's the biggest obstacle to this plan. You might try this: go ahead to the new city on your own, to find a job. Keeps costs down, while your family is at home packing up getting ready for the green light to follow you. Once you have a job and a place for your family to live, get them to move.

I'd say three months' living expenses, minimum, as a single person without kids, and preferably six months' living expenses. So add that up for however many family members you have. Plus, kids need to go to school, etc., added expenses.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:18 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,664,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdeborah48 View Post
10k is a good relo cushion. I'd personally shoot for 20K. If renting an apartment w/o a job they will want to see 3x times the monthly rent, times the duration of the lease term. So, try to go for a shorter lease term to start out.

Old 03-24-2017, 12:50 PM

44 posts, read 63,927 times
Hi, Mike...I posted a similar question like this just now in the tucson thread! I'm thinking i'd need about 10-15K to make it happen..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues