Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 08:19 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,616,483 times

Advertisements

Just curious and wanted to ask this:

If you wanted to get the he%% out of Dodge and have a family and want to move to another state, about how much do you try to save before leaving the state you live in behind?

Keep in mind that you do-not have a job in the new state or city, but feel confident that you will get a job.

Love to hear from singles, couples and parents w/ kiddos.

Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 09:56 PM

542 posts, read 1,928,716 times
5K at the least.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:20 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,511,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike78613 View Post
Just curious and wanted to ask this:

If you wanted to get the he%% out of Dodge and have a family and want to move to another state, about how much do you try to save before leaving the state you live in behind?

Keep in mind that you do-not have a job in the new state or city, but feel confident that you will get a job.

Love to hear from singles, couples and parents w/ kiddos.

Thanks for sharing.
Think that is the most irresponsible thing to do if you are supporting a family.

If you hate where you live so much, get a job where you love it & then move there.

Where you move to is going to turn into hell really quickly if you don't have a job.

Health insurance costs alone are gonna kick your ass. Try not having health insurance & one of the kiddies getting sick or breaks a bone...

Financial advisors have said 6 months of savings.

What does it cost you to live every month now?

Old 02-17-2008, 05:15 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
Single - enough to live without an income for 6 months. If no job after 4 months you still have enough to go back if you want to.

Married NO kids - same

Married with kids - Damn dumbest thing in the world is to move with no solid way of supporting them. If dead set on it though, absolute minimum of a full years wages before taxes.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:23 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,616,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Single - enough to live without an income for 6 months. If no job after 4 months you still have enough to go back if you want to.

Married NO kids - same

Married with kids - Damn dumbest thing in the world is to move with no solid way of supporting them. If dead set on it though, absolute minimum of a full years wages before taxes.
WOW!! having 90K cash would be nice to move my family, but we're not coming from California so that's not going to happen. We're thinking about 40K savings and rent small place (home). Land some jobs. Of course we are DEBT FREE (no car payments or credit cards ect..ect..)

Last edited by Mike78613; 02-17-2008 at 12:35 PM..

Old 02-18-2008, 02:35 AM

24 posts, read 158,532 times
I'm moving. I need to be with family right now. They are going to let me and my daughter live rent free for a month. I thought I'd be able to transfer with the company I've been with for fourteen years, but unfortunately it's a transfer from "corporate" to "franchise" and while I can keep my job, I lose benefits, health, my salary and everything. I told them where to stick it. If I lose everything, I want to start fresh. I hate my job anyway.

I have little money--this is a very short notice, unexpected move--maybe a thousand? Of which nine hundred is moving my car, and two hundred is moving "us" one way. I'm selling off everything, and shipping what I can't bare to let go. My library in twenty four fifty pound boxes us mail media rate. Thirteen dollars a box.

The state I'm moving to has state supported health care ppos and hmos, this is open enrollment season. I'm putting in my applications for my dream jobs a week before I leave--on-line. I'm doing everything and anything I can to make this a smooth tranistion, but money? I'll have enough for a month's worth of gas and food. I think if you want to move, move. Just be aware of the bad parts and good parts. If you wait until you have a years income, you might never move.

Have faith that you can make a reasoned decision and you have a marketable job skill. Also, before you move, google the jobs you want. Most companies have on line apps. And APPLY. Don't wait until you arrive.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:11 AM

273 posts, read 1,755,262 times
Everybody knows you SHOULD have a job lined up frst... but so many employers won't hire from out-of-state. Won't even consider your resume, unless it's a big company who is looking outside for someone with specific skills.

I really hope to get a job before I move, but I'm going anyway as soon as my house sells. Anybody who wants to hire me won't wait for me to sell my house, in this market. I can't pay two mortgages/rent so the house is the determining factor, not the job.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:18 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,208,622 times
I already had a job (my job relocated me), had company paid moving expenses, and I budgeted 10K for the "just in cases". I don't own, I plan to rent for a few years. Single. No kids (I do have a son but he was staying in Ohio).

If I did not have a job lined up, I would not even have considered relocating. Guess I may be a bit conservative.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:22 AM

275 posts, read 743,314 times
When I decided to move from TN to MA, I used Skype service and made me local(MA area code) phone number, so it would be easier for potential Employers to call me(it cost $20 then, about $60 per year now, as I know. This service forward calls from your Skype number to your, for example, cell phone number. Downside was caller ID did not work as I remember), I applied and got one interview scheduled month in advance. I did not confirm interview later on. I sold, gave out, trashed what I could, put the rest of it in my car and moved on my own. I was single, so it was a lot easier for me to pull the trigger.

I came for an interview about month after discussion, woman was ready for me, like we discussed it just yesterday, I had interview and about two-three weeks later-offer.

I should have been prepared better, no doubt, especially now, but it worked for me. I had money for several months of living, but had car payment.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:52 PM

867 posts, read 2,139,882 times
It depends on the cost of living in the area you're moving to imo and also if you're alone or with someone or have children
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues