Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2016, 06:07 PM

500 posts, read 747,907 times

Advertisements

Our movers lost both furniture and personal items (clothing, xmas decorations, books).
Claiming the furniture is easy because they are individual items easily identified on the inventory. But how do I claim items that were in clothing boxes, etc. I know what I am missing but will they accept my list and how would they want to verify it?
Has anyone experienced this and how was it handled? Did you lose out because you did not have a picture/receipts for every person item?

Also, for how long can I insist that the moving company keep looking for my things? It's been six months since delivery and they claim they have checked the warehouse thoroughly. But what if it never made it to the warehouse? What if the items (which I believe were in a separate truck from the rest of our stuff) were stolen? Shouldn't it be reported? They should be talking to the people that handled the loading/storing of the goods. I just want these things back. Many are irreplaceable. Any advice appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 09:36 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,031,072 times
If it has been 6 months they will not be finding them. Just have to accept that as a loss and put down replacement costs for them, or whatever your insurance was for the items. Hopefully not 60 cents a pound as then you get nothing near replacement costs for furniture. Moving companies will NOT want a theft on their books, so they will not go there, they just will pay you for the claims.

For boxes, just list stuff that would FIT IN THAT SIZE BOX. That is about all they can verify. And no they do not expect receipts for each pair of jeans, but then again even at replacement costs you will only be getting a few dollars an item.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I have been there, and its best to know you have to move on and accept that they will not be looking, just paying you off. THAT is why I do not use full service movers any longer. A bunch of hired thieves in my experience. I like being able to lock a door and not have people moving my stuff from truck to truck...to their house

Old 07-20-2016, 10:26 PM

Thanks for your reply. This was a rather large move (over 25 thousand pounds), and I've done most of the claim and there are some really expensive items they are going to have to replace (for example lamp for $600, end table for $1000, etc). I am hoping that might compel another search.

My question now comes down to clothes - why would I only be paid a few dollars for items if they are supposed to pay full replacement value? How do we agree that the box was filled with nice sweaters and not a pile of t-shirts, which unfortunately one box was. I'd have gladly given those up to get my sweaters and scarves back. It also angers me that moving companies say 'just file a claim' without regard to the loss of things that can never be replaced. I'm asking for the price paid on many items rather than replacement value since it's nearly impossible to find out what they would cost today.

Old 07-21-2016, 09:45 AM

7,243 posts, read 7,064,876 times
If you purchased insurance from the moving company start a claim today. If you didn't, I suspect you will be out of luck.

Old 07-21-2016, 05:35 PM

Yes, I purchased full coverage. Just trying to figure out how to prove what was in a box of missing items.

Old 07-22-2016, 12:37 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,499,441 times
Sometimes the losses are covered under your own insurance. For example, we sold our house in April, and rented it back until the end of May. Since we were renters, we got a rental policy that covered our stuff while it was in storage during the move (dragged on, don't ask) as well as in transit, with replacement cost coverage.

With less than truckload moves, things do get mixed up. 25K may have been a full truck, maybe more than one, but probably not. Chances are someone else got your stuff. I've certainly gotten others stuff in moves, but always called the movers who retrieved it.

For my latest move, I had the whole truck, so they didn't even need to inventory. What went in came out.

Old 06-12-2019, 07:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,391 times
Default MoveOn Movers in Las Vegas, Nevada

MoveOn Movers based in Las Vegas lost, damaged, and destroyed our belongings. They also delivered our stuff almost a month late. We do NOT recommend using them!!! However, if anyone who has used Moveon Movers recovers quilts and blankets with names embroidered on them, with the following names, please respond to this thread: Nahom, Lula, and Samia. We also lost tools, fishing gear, and probably some other things as well.

This shipment was tagged Lot No. ON01438. If you received any boxes or crates marked with this Lot # please respond

Thank you.

Old 06-15-2019, 09:30 AM

7,320 posts, read 4,111,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bj1999 View Post
MoveOn Movers based in Las Vegas lost, damaged, and destroyed our belongings. They also delivered our stuff almost a month late. We do NOT recommend using them!!! However, if anyone who has used Moveon Movers recovers quilts and blankets with names embroidered on them, with the following names, please respond to this thread: Nahom, Lula, and Samia. We also lost tools, fishing gear, and probably some other things as well.

This shipment was tagged Lot No. ON01438. If you received any boxes or crates marked with this Lot # please respond

Thank you.
So sorry! This is really terrible!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues