Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 10:19 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,178,124 times

Advertisements

When I did my offers (18 years as a realtor) all contract stated that all personal possessions (chattels) other than those included in the contract would be removed upon closing....speak to your attorney and realtor. You might be able to get money for that. He or she can advise on the carpets too.

Specifically trying to hide things that they knew is proof that they were trying to deceive you. Not sure if there will be any recourse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 10:30 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,057,911 times
I sure hope you got pictures of all the problems before you started cleaning, hopefully something with a timestamp. Yeah definitely sounds like they tried to deceive you.

Old 07-02-2016, 07:43 AM

23,967 posts, read 10,303,770 times
How can you sign off on your walk through after closing? Is this on your sales contract?

Old 07-02-2016, 11:20 AM

6,954 posts, read 11,988,918 times
Why bother with this. Just move on and make the home your own. It's sad that some people do this, but that's life.

Old 07-02-2016, 11:24 AM

9,189 posts, read 16,544,525 times
I was always told that the house had to be in "broom cleaned" condition, meaning not immaculate, but certainly no debris laying around. I don't understand why the walk-through was after closing though? I'd have some words for my realtor if I were you.

Old 07-02-2016, 12:50 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,597,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I was always told that the house had to be in "broom cleaned" condition, meaning not immaculate, but certainly no debris laying around. I don't understand why the walk-through was after closing though? I'd have some words for my realtor if I were you.
+1

It's pointless to do a "walk through" if you've already signed, the money (and your leverage) are already gone.

Old 07-02-2016, 01:12 PM

576 posts, read 820,387 times
This is one more reason why most home inspections are a rip off. They normally do not look for issues like this. They should IMHO, but they don't. Even if they did, read the fine print at the end of their report - it basically says they are not liable for anything they missed! Home inspectors I have hired in the past have missed quite a few things that were in their report listed as a-ok! Enough of that soap box!

Soap box #2 is it used to be common courtesy to THOROUGHLY clean the house for the next resident after you move out. This includes wiping out all cupboards, scrubbing bathrooms and floors, clean carpets, etc. Our parents did this as a matter of course, but then their generation had respect for others... Once again, I digress!

As for the walk thru, yes, it would be your responsibility to demand a walk thru either the day before or the day of closing, but definitely BEFORE closing. This is your opportunity to check for left over items that you do not want to dispose of, hidden damage, etc., and then make stipulations for the issues to be resolved. It sounds like you did not do that, so you may not have a leg to stand on. I would agree that the carpet stains should have been disclosed, so you might be able to pursue that, but as someone else stated, it could cost you more in legal fees than replacing the carpet.

Old 07-02-2016, 04:51 PM

7,665 posts, read 5,380,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey59 View Post
Soap box #2 is it used to be common courtesy to THOROUGHLY clean the house for the next resident after you move out. This includes wiping out all cupboards, scrubbing bathrooms and floors, clean carpets, etc. Our parents did this as a matter of course, but then their generation had respect for others...
I think it is perfectly reasonable to expect a spotlessly clean house, even if there are carpet stains that won't come out (unless they are animal stains), then previous owner must replace carpet and padding or provide monies for me to choose new stuff.

We are eligible for 55+ communities like your Sun City, and have always scrubbed thoroughly, including inside ranges, replacing filters if they were too greasy to clean, etc. So our American generation usually cleans thoroughly, too. I learned from my grandmother and mother. And we clean our own windows, inside and out.

Someone above said they don't expect immaculate cleaning. Well, I do expect it, and I will write it into a contract if my agent does not. If someone does not want to clean throughly themselves, especially kitchens, bathrooms, garages (don't leave anything at all behind unless it's in the contract), etc. then they must pay for professionals to do it.

It's not expense that would bother me (like paying for carpeting which I would likely not keep anyway), but rather filth. Ugh.

Old 07-02-2016, 04:55 PM

23,737 posts, read 14,850,457 times
[quote=Dewey59;44621892]This is one more reason why most home inspections are a rip off. They normally do not look for issues like this. They should IMHO, but they don't. Even if they did, read the fine print at the end of their report - it basically says they are not liable for anything they missed! Home inspectors I have hired in the past have missed quite a few things that were in their report listed as a-ok! Enough of that soap box!

Soap box #2 is it used to be common courtesy to THOROUGHLY clean the house for the next resident after you move out. This includes wiping out all cupboards, scrubbing bathrooms and floors, clean carpets, etc. Our parents did this as a matter of course, but then their generation had respect for others... Once again, I digress!

US old people were trained by the military even if we were not in the service. Houses had to be GIed when military moved out. That meant move in ready for the next tenant. We always left our sold houses that way.

We have been burned so many times by people who stopped cleaning when the contract was signed, I started writing in that the house had to be professionally cleaned. Our agent thought that was insulting to the seller, but she never moved into a house that was trashed.

Some states you have walk through, then close then the old owners moves out. Some people do not like moving out of an unsold house.

Old 07-02-2016, 06:43 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,521,160 times
Your realtor is a good place to start when you have a problem or question. That's what they are being payed for!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues