Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 02:20 PM

12 posts, read 18,804 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

We're moving from the San Francisco Bay Area to the North Carolina triangle area in November, and one thing about the whole move has me stumped: What to do before your furniture arrives? We (my husband and I) would be making the drive in four days with our dog, two cats and a cockatiel. Obviously this is already going to be 'fun' with so many pets, but then what after we arrive and our furniture isn't there yet? Even if I manage to get a place to live lined up, that doesn't mean we'd have a place to sleep.
Would you rent something through airb&b? hotel? those things seem pretty expensive (and hard to find with so many pets!) any options I am not thinking of? Airbeds until the stuff arrives? hnngrh! I would love to hear what you guys would do (or have done!)

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 03:10 PM

4,671 posts, read 7,338,136 times
My spouse and I just moved from Chicago to Maryland. We used two twin air mattresses pushed together, which basically makes a king-sized bed. Yeah it sucks, but it is better than on the floor or in sleeping bags. We also bought two of those camping/lounge chairs, and we moved our computer with us so we could watch Netflix or DVDs or listen to music in the apartment. Living minimally was actually kind of freeing, and we spent a lot of time outside or out doing other things. It can also be kind of hard to predict when moving companies will arrive with your stuff, so I'd say it's better to be prepared than to spend money Air B&Bing it.

Old 07-20-2016, 10:05 PM

32,752 posts, read 35,950,249 times
That's it. Get a couple of chairs and some air mattresses. If your shipment is delayed, splurge on a folding table.

Old 07-20-2016, 10:26 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,541,297 times
In my car, I took an air bed, several folding TV tray tables, and two folding chairs. Those didn't take up much room, and that gave me places to sleep, sit, write, eat, and use the laptop.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:35 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,059,347 times
Although I have moved several times, I have only been in this situation once. We carried in our two cars an air mattress for us, a portable crib for our baby, cleaning supplies, a vacuum cleaner, cooking supplies and dishes for a few days, and the clothes we would need, like when you go on vacation. (Also a few boxes of things we didn't want the movers to move.) Back then, there were no laptops, but now I would certainly take those. I think the camping chairs are a good idea. Those days actually gave me time to get things clean in order to be ready for the furniture, to figure out where I would have the movers put things, etc., as well as time to get the utilities all squared away, including cable installed for wifi. My husband also started his new job during those days. It really wasn't a problem.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:41 AM

25,324 posts, read 16,958,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhendera View Post
Hi all!

We're moving from the San Francisco Bay Area to the North Carolina triangle area in November, and one thing about the whole move has me stumped: What to do before your furniture arrives? We (my husband and I) would be making the drive in four days with our dog, two cats and a cockatiel. Obviously this is already going to be 'fun' with so many pets, but then what after we arrive and our furniture isn't there yet? Even if I manage to get a place to live lined up, that doesn't mean we'd have a place to sleep.
Would you rent something through airb&b? hotel? those things seem pretty expensive (and hard to find with so many pets!) any options I am not thinking of? Airbeds until the stuff arrives? hnngrh! I would love to hear what you guys would do (or have done!)

Thanks so much!
Are you sure there is going to be a delay? Sometimes the furniture beats you there, but that all depends on a lot of things.
If you fill an entire truck, I can just about guarantee that the furniture will beat you. The driver is going to load up, point the Big Mutha east, and stomp on the pedal.

Old 07-21-2016, 12:03 PM

12 posts, read 18,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Are you sure there is going to be a delay? Sometimes the furniture beats you there, but that all depends on a lot of things.
If you fill an entire truck, I can just about guarantee that the furniture will beat you. The driver is going to load up, point the Big Mutha east, and stomp on the pedal.
Haha! It will be a tiny load of furniture, so I am pretty sure the truck will carry other people's stuff, besides ours. The guarantee is 14 business days, and we will be leaving on a Saturday and arriving on a Tuesday. I can't imagine my furniture beating me there (would be awesome though!)

I mean, here's to hoping you're right, but I doubt it!

Old 07-21-2016, 12:40 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,898,346 times
I had the reverse, My Furniture was gone before I physically moved.

I and my 19yo Son Kept our mattress, one set of sheet for each bed that were old, some towels and the Kitchen table & Refrigerate. Kept the WiFi running in the house.

Eat out alot or Microwaved food for a week.

Tossed the Mattresses, sheets. towels since they were at the end of there life, the Table/Refrigerator went with the house.

You can tell the movers you don't want it delivered before X date also.

For you do the air mattress, or buy new mattress on arrival, PaperPlates, Take Out, Pack a pot and pan so you can cook something. Few days of a mattress on the floor will not kill you.

Old 07-21-2016, 07:10 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,459,097 times
Wait until you're closer to move date - things change, and consider that the camping supplies can be purchased locally. We just moved and lived in a small furnished apartment found through VRBO. They even made an exception for our dog, a springer.

Sleeping bag on air mattress or cot for a few days is not the worst thing. You can even eat out, do carry out and such to avoid cooking. Table? sit on the floor or splurge for a camping table, or better yet, check local resale shops for something. IIRC correctly, Durham has some interesting places to shop used.

Good luck, and have some fun on the drive. Weather will be cool, so the pets can chill out a bit in the car while you see things.

Old 07-21-2016, 07:19 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,753,281 times
When we arrived at our destination we took our three cats to the new house and set them up in a room with food, water, littler boxes, and toys. We then checked into a hotel coming back to check on the cats daily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues