Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Moving without a job: good idea or not?
Yes 15 20.55%
No 58 79.45%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 07:51 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,839,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by photostoresheila View Post
I would suggest the OP sublets an apartment share for 3 or 4 months in the Oak Lawn neighborhood of Dallas. Very LGBT friendly and close enough to OKC to return back if things don't go well. Try to find a job in those 3-4 months. If you get something, great! If not, you've lost very little and can head back to OKC or move on to another city.
I don't think the OP is necessarily looking to be in the center of attention of a gay neighborhood or gay mecca. Too many people on these forums think that just because someone is gay, they must want to live in a gay spot. Personally, as a gay person myself, I actually prefer not to live in places like that because the degree of expectations, judgment and pretense is ridiculous sometimes.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:27 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,558,232 times
You have some savings but no job to wherever you are moving to... You dislike the city too. You gotta move then.
Bigger cities have more jobs, but more competition too. Along with that is a higher cost of living and htat cost has gone way up. If you can move into a good roommate situation (i.e. safe and responsible)in a new city, then I think you are well on your way.

Gay bashing? grow up. People are going to find something to make fun about someone or some group whether you are straight, 7 foot 5 or 5' 5", have thyroid weight gaining issues, are a fan of reality TV, prefer cats over dogs, etc. If they don't say it, sometimes you will just see in their faces. Big cities have similar social bashing, less in heavily gay areas but sorry, there is no panacea. More than half of the people in the U.S. are fed up with being PC and having to measure their words all the time.

Good luck.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
You have some savings but no job to wherever you are moving to... You dislike the city too. You gotta move then.
Bigger cities have more jobs, but more competition too. Along with that is a higher cost of living and htat cost has gone way up. If you can move into a good roommate situation (i.e. safe and responsible)in a new city, then I think you are well on your way.

Gay bashing? grow up. People are going to find something to make fun about someone or some group whether you are straight, 7 foot 5 or 5' 5", have thyroid weight gaining issues, are a fan of reality TV, prefer cats over dogs, etc. If they don't say it, sometimes you will just see in their faces. Big cities have similar social bashing, less in heavily gay areas but sorry, there is no panacea. More than half of the people in the U.S. are fed up with being PC and having to measure their words all the time.

Good luck.
I agree. The OP should definitely look to relocate, but he must take the right approach. I am opposed to taking high risk approach to things in life. But that's just me.

I also agree that gay bashing happens everywhere, even here in CT sometimes. Just last week, my coworker (a 24 yo girl) sitting next to me was invited to dinner at some place that happens to be gay on Tue nights (but plenty of straight people go there too). When she found that out, she giggled and felt uncomfortable about it and called her friend to tell her to pick a different place to eat. There are many more similar stories of things like this happening here in progressive Connecticut. NO WHERE is 100% gay friendly in this country, not even in blue states.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:11 AM

11,754 posts, read 14,571,620 times
Move without a job? I have never even quit a job without another job. You never know when the next job will come along and how long you will be out of work. My preferred time to be out of work: zero days.

Old 08-30-2016, 12:37 PM

16,460 posts, read 19,486,360 times
A lot of people have a seriously dismal outlook on the economy. "There are no jobs" they say. Listen to them and there isn't a city in America that has jobs. There are plenty of jobs in this country.

It's annoying you won't say what field you are in. We aren't going to find out who you are by you sharing that with us.

Do you think it will take you more then 12 months to find a job? Do you think you are that unemployable?

Go.

Old 08-30-2016, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwright155 View Post
I so concur with - Look for a work-from-home employment that could run with you. There are numerous genuine organizations now that offer open doors.

Regardless of the possibility that it doesn't pay excessively, it's still occupation to fall back on in the event of some unforeseen issue.

- Save up a great deal of cash. No less than two years worth of costs.

- Do your examination. You certainly need to attempt to move to a region with a great job market.

- Visit first. When you discover a few places that you like, go see them to ensure that it's the right decision for you.
I think one year's worth of living expenses is fine. It should only take 3-6 months for the OP to find a job. The real key, however, is if and AFTER the OP blows through that one year's worth of savings, will he be okay having $0 left in the bank? Gotta look ahead.

Old 08-30-2016, 02:07 PM

34,091 posts, read 82,498,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I think one year's worth of living expenses is fine.
It should only take 3-6 months for the OP to find a job.

The real key, however, is...
The real key, however, is to PLAN to find a get by job immediately
and to budget living expenses based on THAT amount so you don't
need to dip into the reserves.

Our OP doesn't seem inclined to lower himself to such pedestrian levels.

Old 08-30-2016, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

Okay well 80% of poll voters said he shouldn't do it. So he should not do it. Case closed.

Old 08-30-2016, 03:47 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,718,225 times
I wish there was a maybe option on here. I'm neutral about this. It all depends on someone's financial situation and where they're relocating to. I wouldn't move somewhere without some kind of money to support myself. It doesn't matter if you're moving to somewhere that has a booming economy or in an economic deadzone. You can finally settle in your destination and the job offer gets rescinded or the company shuts down. Don't you need to already be living in your new location when companies would only hire local talent?

Old 08-30-2016, 06:43 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,742,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I think one year's worth of living expenses is fine. It should only take 3-6 months for the OP to find a job. The real key, however, is if and AFTER the OP blows through that one year's worth of savings, will he be okay having $0 left in the bank? Gotta look ahead.
I think $0 worth of savings in a place I'll be happier is preferable to $20k living in OKC (looking 5-7 years down the road here). Though that 20k would be a nice down payment on purchasing a home, and I do want to be a homeowner one day, I can't see myself buying a home in OKC because of the extent that I dislike the area (ironically buying a home here would still be a much better investment than my car).

Another thing is if I move without my car payment, I can be a little more flexible as to what kind of job I take so it may not take me 3-6 months to find a job. It only took me a month to find my current job in OKC when I moved back here. I've actually moved without jobs twice, once to North Carolina and then again when I moved back, but both previous times were in times of desperation and I didn't have the financial burden i.e. the car that I have now. If I were to get laid off from my job though, I would take advantage of the situation and just move as opposed to finding another job in OKC or trying to find a job elsewhere while living in OKC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

I guess you mean get rid of my car? I have already explained several times why I can't do it, unless I want to allow it to be voluntarily repossessed. I have actually really considered repossession as a way out of this car problem, but having that black mark on my credit could have far reaching consequences including preventing me from finding employment or housing when I get to my new city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues