Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2016, 10:10 PM

762 posts, read 610,663 times

Advertisements

I signed a lease to move into my new place on Friday, September 30. I figured I would take the day off of work to get movers in the morning and then late in the day have the cable company come install wifi and cable.

I currently am in a month to month lease and I'm giving notice tomorrow. The earliest I could end my current lease would be Oct 1. I figure though most people don't immediately leave their current place right away due to maybe picking up knick knacks and doing an intense cleaning. What is a good rule of thumb on officially moving out? 2 weeks? 1 week? a few days? I work Mondays-Fridays until 5.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 06:03 AM

7,245 posts, read 7,071,499 times
Give your notice, move your stuff, go back and clean. Once that's done, schedule your checkout walkthrough with management (if they do that) and hand over your keys.

We had a 3 week overlap from the apartment to the house. Gave us time to have the house painted before we moved in. Also gave us a bit of flexibility with the movers. I think we had a week left at the apartment when we handed our keys back.

Old 09-02-2016, 07:45 PM

253 posts, read 304,574 times
How big is the place you are leaving? How much damage have you incurred? How dirty is it?

If it's a moderately sized apartment, with no damage and not dirty, I'd honestly just get it all done that weekend if you are planning to have all of your stuff moved to the new place on Friday. Move Friday. If you have energy after the cable people leave then go back to the old place and do a good clean. Return Saturday morning for the walkthrough and handing in your keys. Spend the rest of your weekend unpacking and setting up the new apartment.

For myself, if I'm moving within the same city, I have often done it all in one day. But I'm a very clean and neat person anyway so there is hardly much to clean. I go through each room and space as I pack cleaning up or changing out what I may have missed. Movers will arrive at 8am. Load the truck, get me unloaded at new place no later than noon. Go back to old place to vacuum, sweep and mop. Do the walkthrough and hand in keys. I adjust that accordingly if cable service is coming for install.

Be sure to schedule cable/internet install as early as possible to get your preferred date. Last time I moved, I schedule three weeks before move and the earliest appointment was several days after the move. That sucked.

Old 09-03-2016, 11:58 AM

762 posts, read 610,663 times
I didn't give notice yet so the earliest I could have my move out date would be Monday, Oct 3. That should give me enough time to clean the place on Sunday. I figured I would just hire a cleaner to do the 5 hour cleaning for me. My place is a 950 square foot townhouse. There's no damages but it is dirty. It needs a real good vacuum cleaning and kitchen cleaning in the fridge and on the stove and in the oven. You can get a cleaner here on Craigslist for 4 hours for $100 plus tip to do a move out cleaning. My deposit was $750 so I figure that's the best way to get most of it back. Hopefully I can get a cleaner on Sunday morning otherwise I will end up cleaning the place.

With the cable company, I'm thinking I might be better off scheduling them on a Saturday instead so they aren't all over the movers. I don't think it's that important but it might keep things easier. I scheduled a date right away for the cable company because I experienced the same thing as you where if you don't book a time and date right away, it takes a few days or more to get them to come out.

Old 09-03-2016, 01:36 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,076,693 times
Depending on what you are having hooked up, your cable installer may not even need to enter the house. I would just try to get it all done at the same time. They will be fine together. I usually keep my place clean, but for me an intown move is a 1 day thing, a long day, but 1 day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues