Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 09:32 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,476,200 times

Advertisements

What I have learned to do, is tell the movers that I'm broke and I have X amount of dollars to pay them, including tip. So, if they get the job done faster, the amount I pay is the same either way, so any extra is their tip. It's amazing how much faster they work when you do it this way - rather than them trying to stretch out the time for more hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 09:09 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,623,277 times
My gratuity is usually $20/ worker. It goes up $10 per person per flight of stairs. It goes down if they are careless, whiney or disrespectful. I've yet to hire people that aren't hard working, but that would lower the tip too.

I also have water, soda and some energy drinks in a cooler and I'll have some simple lunch for them. Pizza, sandwiches etc. Well hydrated and fed people work harder and they are typically appreciative.

Just remember to treat them like you would any other guest in your home. I use this tactic and they generally appreciate it and the few times we went over time they wouldn't charge the extra rate. I assume if you treat them disrespectfully they will return the favor...

Old 09-08-2016, 06:17 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,036,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
I rarely tip. Their boss covers the wage and liability insurance .

Until their is a written law that requires tipping.. You are under no mandate to tip.

I worked waitressing... Back when $1.80 was the norm. Never once played the aspiring college kid or single parent ( which I was!) ...to garner money from a valued customer. Actually hated getting tips... You can't buy my genuine kindness in doing a service ... Always felt like I was turning tricks if someone left a tip. I'd give it to the busboy or a kitchen prep.. They appreciated it.

So bottom line... It's your choice.. If you do ..
So, a single mother waiting tables for $1.80 per hour makes less than $300 per month - and she hated getting tips. Sounds legit.

Question though.. if you hated getting tips so bad, then why would you work at a job where people give them? Honestly, I have never, ever heard a server of any kind say they did that job because they liked being nice to people for no money lol.

Last edited by Upstate67; 09-08-2016 at 06:44 AM..

Old 09-08-2016, 07:29 AM

55 posts, read 137,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post
So, a single mother waiting tables for $1.80 per hour makes less than $300 per month - and she hated getting tips. Sounds legit.

Question though.. if you hated getting tips so bad, then why would you work at a job where people give them? Honestly, I have never, ever heard a server of any kind say they did that job because they liked being nice to people for no money lol.
come on that story was silly to begin with. nobody believes it

Old 09-14-2016, 06:29 AM

73 posts, read 113,600 times
Tipping in the moving industry may be standard, but it is not, and shouldn't be an expectation of the crew performing your relocation.

However....

The crew performing your relocation may be doing this for say, $100.00 per hour. This includes 3 men and a Truck.

The vast majority of this hourly charge is going towards Insurances, Fuel costs, Workers Comp, Ect.. The performing crew probably gets about 30% of this hourly charge, which in this scenario, would be about $10.00 per hour. Your crew is performing back breaking work for what could be the same price to flip burgers. Showing your appreciation goes a long way, and doesn't always need to be physical money. Offering to supply the crew with lunch and drinks is greatly appreciated as well.

One tactic that I was always taken back by was Customers who would give a tip at the beginning of a job (Or half now, half later if you do a good job). This always boosted the morale of the crew, and they had the reason to go above and beyond what the job consists of. I'm not saying this should be considered the new standard, but as a professional mover myself, This definitely gave the crew incentive.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:26 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,031,245 times
tell them to lift with their legs and not their back

Old 09-25-2016, 06:57 PM

5,423 posts, read 3,480,717 times
My last move I rented a U-haul and got movers through U-haul at each end. Two guys to pack, I drove 200 miles and 2 different guys to unpack. These guys work hard! They all got $50 each. I also had a case of water for them.

Old 09-26-2016, 08:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
tell them to lift with their legs and not their back
Ha! Good one!

Really depends on the service you get and how much you are asking of them. If you're movers do a good job, don't damage or lose anything and give you a smooth move, then reward them handsomely.

[url=http://www.bestbuffalomovers.com/]Low Cost Buffalo, NY Moving Company - Top moving company in Buffalo & WNY[/url]

Old 09-28-2016, 09:35 AM

55 posts, read 97,315 times
I tip $20 per crew member, $40 to the foreman, and a bottle of Gatorade for everyone.

I give them the Gatorade after they load my stuff, and the foreman gets the cash at the end of the move.

Old 09-28-2016, 11:10 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,068,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by story97 View Post
I see your point, believe me, but as a guy that worked his way through college bartending I can understand too.

I guess I look at it this way. if I drop 20 to each of them (think that's around 13%), that 20 bucks is probably going to mean more to them than the 40 i save by not tipping.

i guess each has their own way of thinking. i can completely understand your point and you're not wrong. to me i guess hell i'm already at $5000. $40 is pretty minimal

Perfect answer...to your own question. $20 each is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny536 View Post
My gratuity is usually $20/ worker. It goes up $10 per person per flight of stairs. It goes down if they are careless, whiney or disrespectful. I've yet to hire people that aren't hard working, but that would lower the tip too.

I also have water, soda and some energy drinks in a cooler and I'll have some simple lunch for them. Pizza, sandwiches etc. Well hydrated and fed people work harder and they are typically appreciative.

Just remember to treat them like you would any other guest in your home. I use this tactic and they generally appreciate it and the few times we went over time they wouldn't charge the extra rate. I assume if you treat them disrespectfully they will return the favor...

Well done.

Recently did a long distance move. Paid each guy $100 to load, and $100 to unload. Sandwiches, drinks, coffee....and bought them a nice Italian dinner the night they arrived.
Absolutely no problems. Nothing lost, nothing broken, no slackards. They were happy, and I was pleased. If you can say that at the end of any move, you have done well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues