Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 11:15 PM

762 posts, read 610,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
No lids for the boxes? Take bed sheets, pillow cases, and towels to cover everything and tuck it in all sides of the box. Go criss cross both ways across the top with duct tape. Just press the tape down on the sides. The tape may stick just a little to the sheets or whatever, but not enough to hurt anything.
Also, this may have been covered already past page 1, but that's all I've read so far. You talk about hiring movers, don't you have friends who could help you move? 2 or 3 friends and a rented U-Haul and you'd be done in one trip. Don't think it's a bad price if you just have it one day.
Another hint for the things you don't want to take, and I've mentioned this several times on these threads. Decide what you want and move them. Put what's left in one room in the apartment you're leaving and advertise a free yard sale. My wife and I did this when we went from her place and my place to our house. We advertised on Wednesday for a free yard sale on Saturday. I unlocked the door at 7 AM and locked up and 9:30 AM with everything but two boxes of stuff left. That went to Good Will.
Something else that helps with moving and you won't need boxes for your clothes, bed linens, etc. Buy some Space Bags. Pack them full, vacuum the air out, and stick them between a couple boxes. We moved where we are in 2012 and still have 2 large Space Bags upstairs that haven't been opened and still shrunk down. It's old winter clothes we haven't needed yet.
I only have 1 friend who is local and she is unreliable. If I had a few strong reliable male friends I would do that and not get movers. My family lives 2 hours away and they naturally are going to be on a cruise.

Old 09-06-2016, 11:22 PM

Let me explain the 4 night stand thing.... I use 2 of these wooden night stands in my living room to hold up my TV. They are natural wood and have drawers. In my bedroom I have 2 night stands.

Old 09-06-2016, 11:24 PM

And to many of you, yes I would like to hold on to my things. It's wonderful that you feel like you can dump or get rid of most of your stuff but I would like to keep what I have. I don't judge you and it would be nice to have this topic address my question instead of hearing about your possession philosophy. This topic was just about which moving solution is better. I am now thinking I should just pay the movers to do it all for me to get it over with.

Not everyone wants to live like you.

Old 09-06-2016, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Take a critical look at the new apartment. Anything that won't be needed there should be gotten rid of now. Do you need two AC units for the new place? Don't most apartments have central AC?

I would want to move everything at once. Once you decide to hire movers, doing the whole thing won't cost much more.
Most apartments in San Diego do not have central AC. Most apartments in coastal San Diego don't have AC period.

1 portable AC unit in the living room and 1 in the bedroom.

Old 09-06-2016, 11:30 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Why do you need 4 night stands in a 1 BR?
2 as night stands beside the bed
2 on each side of the couch

OP: 15 boxes is not worth the price of storage so have them moved with everything else.
As far as lids go, get some paper grocery bags and tape them over the top of the boxes.
Sort and get rid of as you are packing and take everything at one time to goodwill or salvation army
Have the movers put one of the couches on the curb, it will be gone within hours.

Old 09-06-2016, 11:38 PM

I've seen couches left on curbs for days around my neighborhood and there's 3 apartment complexes here.

Old 09-07-2016, 03:52 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
I gave it ALL to charity or friends, except or clothes, books and music. After the move, buy a bed and start over again.

Old 09-07-2016, 05:56 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Have the movers put your extra couch on the berm, put a FREE sign on it. Go through the boxes, throw away anything not critical or immediately usable. I use those large leaf bags for clothes when I move. You make a hole for the hanger and pull the bag down over the hung up clothes. Those you can move to your new place alone in your car.

Use the trunk for your TV stand, use the end tables on either side of your sofa, and either side of your bed, use the drawers for storing small things. Bookcases, one in living room, one in bedroom.

Store the boxes, or the bags holding things into the floor of the closet. You can unpack as you have time. You won't need to rent a storage unit.

Use the coffee table if you want, or put it on berm with couch.

Use the movers for all the big stuff, anything else have loaded in your car, make a couple of trips and clean your old apartment for the deposit. You got this.

Last edited by JanND; 09-07-2016 at 06:08 AM..

Old 09-07-2016, 10:56 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
If you're still thinking about a storage unit, you don't need a large storage unit for 15 boxes. You just need one that's the size of a closet. Besides, the smaller it is, the less likely it is that you will accumulate more belongings that will require the storage unit for longer than the two months you were planning on.

Did you figure out the shed thing from your other thread? I bought an outdoor storage closet and put it together weekend before last, and it would definitely hold 15 boxes.

Old 09-07-2016, 12:12 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LamarOdomsDealer View Post
Let me explain the 4 night stand thing.... I use 2 of these wooden night stands in my living room to hold up my TV. They are natural wood and have drawers. In my bedroom I have 2 night stands.
That makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues