U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 02:39 AM

8 posts, read 112,782 times

Advertisements

Greetings all!!
I've been perusing these posts and have came across numerous 'warnings' about not moving with debt. Pardon the ignorance, but I'm unsure of why this is a hold-up in moving....I personally don't know ANYBODY who is debt-free(student loans, mortgages, credit cards, etc.) Are there strict credit checks for tenants? Is the cost of living so high that the monthly debt payments are just another major cut? Just curious as to why I've seen several references about not moving with debt...
Take care and be well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 10:15 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,335,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megabuttface View Post
Greetings all!!
I've been perusing these posts and have came across numerous 'warnings' about not moving with debt. Pardon the ignorance, but I'm unsure of why this is a hold-up in moving....I personally don't know ANYBODY who is debt-free(student loans, mortgages, credit cards, etc.) Are there strict credit checks for tenants? Is the cost of living so high that the monthly debt payments are just another major cut? Just curious as to why I've seen several references about not moving with debt...
Take care and be well.
Hi. I'm debt-free. Now you "know" at least one.

I think the reference to not being in debt before moving is that moving itself is costly. There can be a lot of hidden costs and surprise costs as well. By reducing your debt before the move, you give yourself a better buffer.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:32 AM

1,510 posts, read 4,835,906 times
I would agree with Roamin about why its 'better' to move without debt. I am not 100% debt free, but only owe a few hundred on a couple of credit cards. My car is payed off, and I have no student loans. I am working on paying off those 2 cards before I move. I'll have more peace of mind knowing that I dont have to make any additional monthly payments, on top of moving costs, rent, insurance and etc.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:55 AM

12,063 posts, read 29,556,094 times
I moved with "oodles" of debt (a couple thousand in credit cards, about 20k in student loans) and I was fine. Is it ideal? No. But I moved for a great job opportunity and I have no regrets at all.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:54 AM

652 posts, read 2,554,124 times
I am debt free!!!!! now you know 2

If you are moving for a better job in an area where the cost of living is the same or less and your not drowning in debt, I see nothing wrong with it.

Many years ago I wanted to move really bad. I was trying to follow the advice of so many to have 6 mos worth of bills in the bank before I did it. Needless to say, I never moved. There are many times I wish I would have gone anyway.

Old 02-29-2008, 03:10 PM

12,063 posts, read 29,556,094 times
6 months of bills in the bank? You're right no one would ever move!

Old 03-01-2008, 05:52 AM

2,015 posts, read 4,920,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megabuttface View Post
Greetings all!!
Take care and be well.
I don't understand either, unless people are cautioning against moving realizing that moving is yet another large cost that will add to the debt. However, if one is in a stagnant place with debt accruing daily, then I see no point in staying stuck. If opportunity is elsewhere, then go for it. As far as credit checks, I've noticed that credit checks are more strict/lenient depending on the rental market where you're moving to. Wishing you the best in your moving endeavor if you so choose.

Old 03-01-2008, 05:56 AM

2,015 posts, read 4,920,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I moved with "oodles" of debt (a couple thousand in credit cards, about 20k in student loans) and I was fine. Is it ideal? No. But I moved for a great job opportunity and I have no regrets at all.
I'm with you 1000%. As I said above, depending on where a person is living in the country, and type of job that they currently have, they might be in debt forever because they're just scraping by. If there's opportunity to better oneself by bettering one's career, I am for moving, with or without debt. I believe in taking risks though; I realize that some are risk-averse. Glad that it worked out for you!

Old 03-01-2008, 02:42 PM

253 posts, read 1,006,502 times
If you move to an area and know that you can go out and get a job any job, than go. Look for a better one while you're employed.
Make sure you forward your address to the debts you owe or pay them online.
If everyone waited until they were debt free we'd still be walking not driving, living out of a box, and eating McD's for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
New places are new opportunities, if you're ready for the challenge!

Old 03-01-2008, 05:57 PM

883 posts, read 3,467,624 times
Maybe they meant you shouldn't consider buying a new house if you have debt? Paying off debt before buying a house makes sense actually. And IMO certain debt is fine to have...student loans & cars come to mind. Not all debt is bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues