Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 08:54 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,804,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaaas View Post
My car is a small sedan - a 2008 honda civic. Cargo is limited to front seat, back seat and my trunk. Maybe a box for the top of the car if I bought something?

The moving truck quote I received from Mini Moves came out to $2700 - with insurance, gas, toll fees, moving men and packing fragile items I don't think my tv would fit in the car and if I put it in there, I wouldn't be able to stop at rest stops or at hotels overnight in case someone breaks in.

Thanks all for the advice. I have so much to think about Feel a bit sad thinking about parting with my things.
Get another quote and do ALL the packing yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 09:14 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,075,153 times
its not too small that you can't add a tow hitch.
(about $100 for the hitch, and I would think no more than $100 to have it installed).

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...eid=2008208645
This says you could tow 2,000 lbs total.

https://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/4x8-C...ler-Rental/UV/
I just did Pittsburgh to Denver, and the trailer is $209. 4ft tall x 8 ft long x 3 ft wide.
theres a 5x8 trailer that would be a little heavier so it would only carry 50 lbs less, but 5ft tall x 8 ft long x 4 ft wide.

That would fit some of your furniture. probably not a queen/king mattress and box spring, but if your furniture can be taken apart you could take everything else.

That's less than $500 to tow a small trailer.

Old 11-30-2016, 03:22 PM

13 posts, read 14,064 times
Thank you guys for all this advice. I've started getting more quotes incl. for pods, etc. This is all new to me so any advice has been pretty helpful

Old 12-03-2016, 04:44 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,392,514 times
Recently did a cross county move - we packed everything ourselves but used a mover for the transport. We moved to a vacation destination town so we able to get a frnished condo for 1300 a month until March.

Didn't bring couch and loveseat, entertainment center, patio set, a wall of bookcases, two nice outdoor umbrella and stands, the grill, our 20YO bedroom set was in great shape but the mattresses was seven years old and we decided we'd like to move up to a king size bed.....

Honestly - I wish we had just shipped the old stuff. We didn't get much for it on craigslist and selling was a pain. We moved to a vacation destination town so we able to get a furnished condo for 1300 a month until March. We're set to close on a house next month, really nice place but a lot of cosmetic work that needs to be done (painting and flooring)

The town we moved to is on the smallish side and my husbands income is about three times the average household income for the area - I checked out the local furniture stores last week and they are all really low end, cheaply made furniture. mostly "rooms to go" type stuff. Nearest better store like Bassett is a good hour drive away. I'm a little overwhelmed at the shopping for everything on top of every trying to get settled (work , school, finding new drs and dentists, etc...) , closing on the house and finding time for us when husband isn't working and school is out for my little one to travel to look for new furniture....

Old 12-03-2016, 04:51 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,621,220 times
Did you check out the PODs? You pack it then when you get settled they deliver it to you.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:08 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,230,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaaas View Post
My car is a small sedan - a 2008 honda civic. Cargo is limited to front seat, back seat and my trunk. Maybe a box for the top of the car if I bought something?

The moving truck quote I received from Mini Moves came out to $2700 - with insurance, gas, toll fees, moving men and packing fragile items I don't think my tv would fit in the car and if I put it in there, I wouldn't be able to stop at rest stops or at hotels overnight in case someone breaks in.

Thanks all for the advice. I have so much to think about Feel a bit sad thinking about parting with my things.
Walk it back. Do a search and calculate how much cash its going to take to replace every toaster, blanket, towel, chair , TV you have. The easy/simple answer is to toss it and buy new. But what will the new cost be out of pocket and how long will it take to rebuy it all. Most people spend years buying things for their home so don't consider the big cash outlay at once when you dont have a pot to p** in or a bed to sleep in.

Old 12-12-2016, 02:10 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,685,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattalk1 View Post
some people who are lower-middle class meaning able to pay their bills with a bit extra find colorado to be very unfriendly - too many nutty millennials, useless cops, too much property damage/vandalisms/threats to your employment/relationship threats if alone. I stayed 2 weeks in community of 10k - of course, the crazy problem turned out to be next door and landlord was keeping the local nut and cops ignored him. Previously tenants didn't stay long either....males in the town were looking so closely, did not feel safe and had enough scary crime ignore i was double locking the door when some locals woke up to intruders several time....i got threatened a couple of times saying no to a date so i was gone in 2 weeks plus told what computer equipment was ruined at my rental house while i was out because i refused the date.

Leave your pa job on good terms and stay in touch with your family. Others trying to sell their current place and leave for colorado, i advise to keep their old home in case colorado is not what they bargained for. Aware the lower-middle class people are treated to a lot of vandalisms and trespassings in smaller cities and just turns out to be very expensive place for poor with any belongings or own business due to all the vandalisms. Kind of has a hood mentality to whole state of colorado about owning any construction equipment or computer systems so can be very prohibitive to self-employed if you try to live in wrong area as this stuff is bad target of thieves and vandals - poor just cannot own construction/painting/computer equipment and self employ if anything is up in area with bad cops. Heard some tried wyoming and things are nicer for small business owners with some expensive work possessions. (i mean you are so poor, you only own a cell phone computer and wallet. Both better be on you every time you leave you apartment. Never even charge a phone in the car or will be ruined in some places. You go to your fast food job and come home to lay your head down on your pillow, and do the same thing tomorrow. Only have bed and clothing in house. Pets will get harmed in some places and just too expensive to keep so used again you with property damage and bathroom accidents. Can find this out if no one keeps indoor pets in rural area...pet needs to be outside to be okay with the predatorial human problems.)

was threatened by the local millenials who 'don't need any more workers around here.' only taking some of the money who can finesse their way through this, not people who can pay their bills because they worked - only inheritances and lotto people for good relationship opportunities for the wealthy one...

Heard people who bought existing housing in colorado were being treated to lots of vandalisms/trespassings, only people who bought new houses and kept the contractors working were being left alone by the vandals. But eventually most of the smallest towns played even the wealthy with same scam over and over, then wealthy idiots tried to use the same town attorney over and over for resolution for this same scam when need to talk to attorney in next country. Most of the wealthies left broke...

You have contacts and big city options, just beware of how things are running in backwoods colorado. Heard a lot of the ladies who tried to move to colorado springs or denver as far back as 2000 were being scared away by very aggressive predators trying to get dates and basically ran away. Looks like gay bar with no women in parts of big city colorado...straight friend managed to confirm this and ran off from denver in 2002. See what you find? Some of the women who tried corporate transfers in early 2000s to denver were even scared away within a couple months by this environment...

Denver seems to have very healthy upper-middle-class opportunities for straight and gay couples but rest is a slum for a lot of other people.

Don't be surprised if any of the woman tell you they just cannot date you, "i'm a prostitute. I can only sleep with certain people." heard this one a few times in small town colorado something is so controlling, freaks the males out a bit....guess it gives you a good idea about the mental abuse control in a way? Colorado is supposed to be pretty hard spot for lower-middle-working class and really run hard by gawd. You are moving to desirable spot?

You might just trade it all for rv after you see how colorado runs in spots. Wish you better luck than some. Did hear wyoming is nicer spot for self employed people who are lower-middle-class and want existing housing. Won't ********* as badly. Hear colorado housing is trespassed upon 2-3 times a year with intention to break property badly in some spots. Most 'workers' could barely get by. You might be a minimalist after this....rest of the 'i own a mountain' people are just the advertisement for what was....rest don't say much of anything and move when it's just too bad.
wtf? This is misinformation to say the least.

Old 12-14-2016, 11:24 AM

13 posts, read 14,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Did you check out the PODs? You pack it then when you get settled they deliver it to you.
Thanks everyone. Turns out I will need 3 months storage until I can move my things in, when I have the place to myself.

U-Haul Ubox quoted me $1800 for moving help, 3 months storage & shipping/delivery of the 'box.' Storage in a climate controlled facility is $70 a month.

Pods quoted me $2200 for delivery of 1 pod, 3 months storage & shipping/delivery to their storage facility near my destination and delivery to my zip code after storage. Doesn't include moving help. Pods storage is $190 a month with a $30 discount.

Last edited by yaaas; 12-14-2016 at 11:26 AM.. Reason: Adding monthly storage info.

Old 12-15-2016, 01:41 AM

16,068 posts, read 10,726,642 times
I moved 1000 miles with a big mover and it ran about $1.00 per pound...pretty expensive for about 5 rooms of furniture. It was cheaper than back surgery like the last time when I moved myself.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:51 AM

8,268 posts, read 8,641,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
Walk it back. Do a search and calculate how much cash its going to take to replace every toaster, blanket, towel, chair , TV you have. The easy/simple answer is to toss it and buy new. But what will the new cost be out of pocket and how long will it take to rebuy it all. Most people spend years buying things for their home so don't consider the big cash outlay at once when you dont have a pot to p** in or a bed to sleep in.
People that sell everything, like I did, find out that you don't replace every single toaster, blanket, towel, and chair. They find out that many kitchen items won't need replaced. Many tools will never be used again. Most decorative items won't be right for your new home. If you move to a different part of the country your clothes may be mostly useless. If moving to a condo you won't need outdoor tools.

Family mementos, computer, and legal papers are kept. Anything else is what fits in the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues