Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 12:48 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,541,448 times

Advertisements

Yep, we put blankets around ours and used bungees to keep the drawers closed. No prob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2016, 05:55 AM

4,271 posts, read 6,296,510 times
We kept the clothes in the drawers, but had the movers load the dresser WITHOUT the drawers and then we put the drawers back in before they wrapped it on the truck. Then the reverse on the other side - we unwrapped it, took out the drawers and put them in the house, then the movers moved the dresser into the house.

Old 11-09-2016, 06:08 AM

88 posts, read 130,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Who's doing the lifting? They may want it empty....my movers did.
If that's the case, I will take out the drawers (with clothes in them), have the movers move the dresser, and then place the drawers back in.

Old 11-09-2016, 10:11 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,209,320 times
I like to utilize the drawers as boxes, and I leave my items inside them. Then the dresser weighs a lot less while you move it to your moving truck. I then put the drawers into the dresser, and again take them out when I get to my new location.
To me this is an efficient and space saving way to move a dresser. You can always bag up your personals.

Old 11-09-2016, 10:43 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,528,085 times
I have put comforters, blankets, bedding into large plastic zipper bags then placed into drawers. That way when you take drawers out of dresser to move, it isn't full of loose clothing & those big bags are easy pull out and stack in closet/under bed while you fill drawers in new spot.

I have always utilized those cardboard closet moving boxes to greatest extent possible in moving clothing.

Old 11-09-2016, 06:43 PM

120 posts, read 90,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedology View Post
Yep, you're right of course.

I feel silly for asking, but I just thought I would get some input.

I appreciate your help!
I know I said this already but truly, we never moved that way either, you're not alone! God we'd pack up, move the dresser and drawers--empty!
The thing we'd leave full I guess was the kids toy boxes or something, but that somehow seemed clearer. funny!

Old 11-10-2016, 05:49 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,306,731 times
We always emptied the drawers if making a long distance move because we weren't sure how long it was actually going to take for the truck to get to our destination. For local moves we left the clothes in the drawers. Naturally take out any valuables that you may have hidden in them before any move.

Old 11-10-2016, 10:54 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,537,039 times
As somebody who has moved too many times, lol, we never moved a dresser with the drawers in it. We'd get trash bags, the size you use in the kitchen and put a drawer in each one, still full, then tie it off. When we put the dresser in the truck we put all our towels, bedsheets, etc. that we shrank in Space Bags (greatest thing to move with!) in where the drawers were.
We liked the trash bag method so, by some chance the drawer got dropped or turned over, everything is contained and not all over the yard or truck.

Old 11-10-2016, 12:47 PM

73 posts, read 113,705 times
Pro Mover here.

We often times move dressers that do have clothes within them. Be sure to remove anything that isnt clothes - Jewelry, pictures, random objects. Sometimes we require these to be emptied just because of how the piece needs to be handled within the house, (On end, On its side, at an angle, Ect) but leaving clothes in is not a big deal.

I would refrain from using too much stretch wrap on the dresser. You'll want the Dresser and Pads to breath. Any mildew or moisture that is trapped inside will cause water damage on the dresser, and could cause the pads to stick to the finish.

Old 11-10-2016, 01:17 PM

15,417 posts, read 9,065,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Who's doing the lifting? They may want it empty....my movers did.
I agree, because 1. Clothes do add weight. Even though the weight might be somewhat insignificant, it still adds extra weight. 2. The drawers should be removed so they are not sliding in and out while moving. This also gives the movers more places to hang on. Expecting movers to move a fully loaded dresser, is just inconsiderate IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues