Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 06:18 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,917,540 times

Advertisements

If you're renting I see no issues- have a ball- if you are buying homes- that's a lot of closing costs etc- in any event- I bet you travel light and I envy that.

Old 11-14-2016, 06:52 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,627,508 times
I've lived in four cities in three states in the last seven years, and I'm ready to move again. Like you, I am unattached, and grateful for the freedom to roam.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:14 PM

13,274 posts, read 8,405,541 times
I think if this were a relationship...where one bounces from one opportunity to the next...then it would be a red flag.

Since yours is about having a roof over your head and food in your belly...then its reasonable.

I personally hate packing and moving all the time...I find other skills in my area in which I can be a team member.

For you though....take it as a comment of light consideration...its no harm when someone observes...

Old 11-14-2016, 09:29 PM

34,815 posts, read 16,815,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
I think if this were a relationship...where one bounces from one opportunity to the next...then it would be a red flag.
I can understand someone wondering if a frequent mover is either a bit unstable or has difficulty paying the rent, and skips town.
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
I've lived in four cities in three states in the last seven years, and I'm ready to move again. Like you, I am unattached, and grateful for the freedom to roam.
I am 59. Over my life I lived in part of New York City till I was seven. While I have some memories of it I am honestly too young to remember much, though I can still use the streets by memory I grew up on to cut traffic jams on the Henry Hudson Parkway. Then I grew up in a Westchester village, living there from 1964 to 1986, and then a different village about six miles from the old one since 1992. In between I lived in New York City for six years. During the first Westchester residency I was away at college and law school for the academic portions of 1975 to 1982, and the summers of 1978 and 1981.

I understand how you feel. Despite the warmth and familiarity the highway signs, and many of the people, are the same. Even many of the businesses haven't changed much. And I doubt I'll move. I do like the familiarity but once in a while see the value of newness and the open road.

Old 11-15-2016, 08:47 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,414,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
I'm sure a mod will feel the need to delete this, but in all honesty..

FU** YOU. (to her).
Ha ha! Yes! You don't have to justify your actions to anyone about moving!

Old 11-15-2016, 08:14 PM

334 posts, read 187,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7freak7 View Post
Just had an acquaintance reconnect with me out of the blue. She's done her share of moving around in recent years - moving from CO to FL, then faced a mold issue in FL and moving back to CO then back to FL and now in MN.

(Please note, I am single and childless. My moving doesn't affect a family or partner.) Four years ago I moved for a job to TX. Laid off a year later, I decided the place wasn't for me and moved back to CO. Was back there 2 years, laid off again and decided to move back to NV to help with a family situation. Been back in NV for over a year and family situation seems to be resolved. Experienced a lot of negative things, biggest being lack of professional jobs. So, I want to find my next spot.

I mentioned to this acquaintance that her city in MN is on my spot to visit as a potential relocation and she suggested a visit in the recent next year (Jan 2017). I explained that I'm going to plan a visit (having my own hotel room/car) in the heart of winter to remind myself of midwest-snow-brutality. I also explained that I took a weekend trip a few years ago to Portland as a potential, but decided it wasn't for me. She then said, "my god you move around so much." I reminded her of her recent moves and said we all have our reasons, but she seems kind of dense and misunderstanding my travels as moving. I've tried to explain this twice to her now.

I, personally don't find anything wrong with moving, but encounter a lot of judgement. Yes, I would like to settle down somewhere for five years, but haven't found it. Is there something wrong with me? Are there others like me out there who get bored in places after a couple of years? Experienced people like this? What do you say back to them?
Don't sweat the small stuff. I've moved not only outside a state, but outside the country *3 times!* I didn't move to Canada either...I moved across the ocean. This last move outside the country is my last. I won't be moving back to the U.S. I love it where I am but it took me a while to decide that. My advice? Don't force yourself. In time you will decide naturally...it will just feel right. Probably one of the things that helped me make my final decision is having a child. I wanted to have her in a good place. So, certain stages in your life will help you make certain decisions. Try not to be so sensitive. Your friend's opinion is "her" opinion, it doesn't have to be yours! .....Good Luck!

Old 11-15-2016, 09:19 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,288,812 times
I once moved to Alaska 3 times in a period of two years. I've also lived in 10 different states for various amounts of time. I think you're good.

I have been at my latest location for the longest stretch of time in my adult life (2 whole years ). I get antsy at times to up and move and look for a new adventure, but then I remember what drew me here in the first place and stay.

I am actually starting to get farther ahead financially staying put in one place, but the temptation of loading down your vehicle with your most basic possessions, leaving everything and everyone behind and heading out on the open road to destination unknown never seems to fully go away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues