Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 01:47 PM

91 posts, read 154,459 times

Advertisements

Hi all! So, I am making a one-way multi-state move from NY to SC in 2 months. I have been online comparing rental truck companies, and prices, and literally losing my mind about how expensive it is! Uhaul was charging $2000 with some miles included, Penske was charging $1700 with unlimited miles, and Budget was charging $1500 with no miles included. We had made a multi-state move before, and never paid that much. I decided to call Penske customer service, and see what was up with the high cost. The rep told me that my starting point was a city that doesn't get many trucks in, so we are basically paying for them to guarantee that the truck I requested, is at the spot I requested it for whether or not they have to pick it up 2, 4, 6, or 8 hours away. He said if I was willing to drive an hour away to a larger city that gets more trucks in, I would be saving substantially. My total cost for a Penske 16ft truck is $578 with unlimited miles! Sure, I have to drive an hour away to pick it up, but that is so much more reasonable! I reserved it for February 2017, can change my dates if needed, and still have the same price. Moral of the story, call customer service, they really do help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 06:21 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
That's great advice!!

Old 12-13-2016, 11:21 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Great advice. I hope your move goes smoothly!

I live in a "trucking" area, so its rather simple to get Guys wanting to make an extra few bucks to do the haul. They own their own trucks so its just a matter of trusting them to be on time to and fro.

Old 12-14-2016, 10:44 AM

Thanks! I hope someone can benefit from it. I'm glad I didn't learn this information after the fact. Nov3, I did do some research on local companies/movers, but I really want to be in control of how, and when our stuff gets to where its going

Old 12-20-2016, 07:13 PM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Call the day before you're going to pick up the truck to be sure it's there. Sometimes they're not.

Old 12-21-2016, 04:22 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomWifeNurse23 View Post
...making a one-way multi-state move from NY to SC in 2 months.
I have been online comparing rental truck companies, and prices,
and literally losing my mind about how expensive it is!
It's at this point where a mover needs to decide just how valuable the big X really is.
Not what it cost or even any sentimental value... but how much would it cost to replace
the sofa (with the tear and the stains etc) with one that really fits the new living room.

Quote:
Moral of the story, call customer service, they really do help!
Have a safe trip

Old 12-21-2016, 09:28 AM

With their guarantee, I'd hope its there. But I will call the day of to make sure.

Also, I think it's pretty common sense that you wouldn't want to pay in the thousands to move a torn up, stained sofa that can be replaced for a fraction of the cost. I figured most of the City Data posters would know that. I've always followed the rule, if your things are worth more than what you're paying for the truck, get the truck. If not then trash it, and buy new. The point of the post was to let others know if they simply drive a little further to a larger city for the moving truck, you can save hundreds of dollars, or in my case, a thousand.

Old 12-24-2016, 02:14 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
I found the same thing with Penske. They charge based upon demand, so it makes sense to look around your region and rent from a low demand area. Part of the cost is also determined by the dropoff location, so play with that too.

Essentially, Penske is using variable pricing to entice people to move them around for them.

Old 12-25-2016, 09:59 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
It can also pay to check one-way and round trip prices.
I moved from Seattle to Northwestern Montana years ago (big Boeing layoff). Renting a trailer in Seattle one-way to NW MT was very expensive. Renting the same trailer in NW MT and returning it to the same place a week later was quite cheap.
So, I made a quick trip with my old pickup, borrowed FILs newer truck, rented the trailer, went and got the rest of our stuff, cleaned the trailer thoroughly, and returned it to where I rented it. We saved a LOT of money!
It really pays to do your research.

Old 12-27-2016, 11:33 PM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomWifeNurse23 View Post
With their guarantee, I'd hope its there. But I will call the day of to make sure.

Also, I think it's pretty common sense that you wouldn't want to pay in the thousands to move a torn up, stained sofa that can be replaced for a fraction of the cost. I figured most of the City Data posters would know that. I've always followed the rule, if your things are worth more than what you're paying for the truck, get the truck. If not then trash it, and buy new. The point of the post was to let others know if they simply drive a little further to a larger city for the moving truck, you can save hundreds of dollars, or in my case, a thousand.
My son works at a U-Haul pick up point. Note I said pick up location. Reservations are made through the company, and the businesses and locations with the vehicles aren't always, usually?, informed of the reservations. It can get pretty messy. When someone doesn't return on time or, at the last minute, decides to go one way and drop off in another location, it messes everything else up.

Always buy the insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues