Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 10:24 AM

285 posts, read 262,408 times

Advertisements

So I'm planning on moving but realize, as I look, I don't really know how.

Most times I've moved, as a kid, we moved with the help of family or from a shelter. This time I'll be moving from family and friends to a state with a cousin (who might be able to help) but one I barely know and just realized exists in the first place.

I mainly am asking for help in how to even get settled. I figured I should find a place first, since I'll be working there, but without a job out there I doubted that'll work. Then I thought to find a job instead, but again I don't live out there yet so where am I going to stay and what if they call for a face-to-face interview?

So any advice, at all, on how to get started?

I also really don't want to stay at a hotel or anything, that's way too expensive and if I were to go there I'd want to be out by two weeks, due to cost.

The only thing I can think of is airbnb, but thats about as far as I know in terms of where I can stay to get started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 09:12 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTK View Post
This time I'll be moving from family and friends to a state with a cousin (who might be able to help) but one I barely know and just realized exists in the first place.
This is a bad idea.

First, you need to have skills at a high enough level that will support you in the new place. For example, if you have a CNA (certified nursing assistant) certificate, you have proof of skills that some employers will want.

Second, you need to line up a job. Some people disagree, but if you are starting out, you might take a vacation to where you want to live, stay in a motel for a bit and job hunt. Gone are the days when you could walk into a place and get hired on the spot. Now there is waiting for the interview and often drug-testing, so the process can take 2 - 3 weeks, depending.

Lastly, you need to save up money. How much you have will vary. If there are room for rent where you are going, then that will be cheaper than a security deposit for an apartment, plus first month's rent, would could easily run into $1,000 or more. You will also need money for your car insurance (if you have a car), pay debts, and so on.

Be sure to save up enough so you can get "back home" if the new place doesn't work out

So let's go back to step one. Do you have marketable skills? Will these skills pay enough to support your lifestyle in the new place? if you don't know, do some research. Find out how much the job pays and look up the COL (cost of living) here on City Data. Also look up the cost of housing. Do the math.

Be ready to totally support yourself. Depending on a cousin who you barely know is asking for trouble.

If you can't get past step one, you need to use your local resources to get some skills before you move. Don't skip this step. If you are low income, you may qualify for area programs. If you move to another state, it may take you a year to establish residency before you qualify for any programs. Do those locals a favor and don't help yourself to their resources. Come "work ready."

Hope this helps you in some way. Good luck!

Old 12-17-2016, 06:37 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
So I'm planning on moving but realize, as I look, I don't really know how.
Do you at least know WHY you want to move?

Quote:
So any advice, at all, on how to get started?
Have a solid reason to move ...and the ability to see that reason realized.

Ability = useful skill, education, etc that are NEEDED where you want to go ... and a fair bit of CASH.
Do you have these things? If you don't... don't expect success.

Quote:
I also really don't want to stay at a hotel ...or I'd want to be out by two weeks
That's a good start. BUDGET for that expense though.
Use that time to find a suitable HOUSEMATE situation
and at the least some sort of "get by" job that will afford the rent etc.

Old 12-17-2016, 12:28 PM

The reason: I COMPLETELY ****ING HATE MINNESOTA.

That's the main reason. I might seem unnecessarily harsh to people who like MN, but just because I live here doesn't mean I like it or even chose to be in the first place. Remember, I'm 19 and moved here four years ago. 15 year olds don't have options. Either way the family I talk to and many friends all think I just need to go. Clean slate type of move. They know how I feel, what I've been through, and/or what I think of this state and they know I don't belong here. Plain and simple.

Now when it comes to marketable skills, I have considered staying here for school but also don't want to be bound here for years of schooling and know I'm now REALLY trapped here for years. However, I have many friends in SCSU or SCTCC, so thats the one (and only) thing making me consider staying here for school. On the flip side, I plan on moving and staying in said state, so I could afford to wait for and apply for in-state tuition when the time comes. I won't have to worry about certain finances too, so that's a huge plus and couple thousand saved.

Also to clarify, I am NOT moving in with that cousin. I worded that terribly. I meant to say I know a cousin who lives in the state and is offering help if I need it, but as I said I barely know her so that's a last upon last resort (because I'm dead serious about NEVER coming back once out). But she's offering advice and how things are going for her and her friends, who all have no college degrees but are doing fine.

So I don't know, just a thought. I plan on traveling in the springtime to see areas I am considering moving to, want to take my car to save money on renting (plus I'm under 25 so I doubt I'd be allowed to anyway) though.

Otherwise I appreciate the advice but I'm going to say I'm dead ass serious, I'm NOT coming back to MN. This place doesn't feel like home to me, more like an uncomfortably long extended stay in a POS hotel. But on the bright side I already 100% support myself as is, with a few dollars from time to time from my granma. I pay my own bills, lease in my name, car title and insurance also mine. I do my own thing and am content with it. I don't really need much. Except a nice fish tank, that's a dream.

Old 12-17-2016, 02:00 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
The reason: I COMPLETELY ****ING HATE MINNESOTA.
Wonderful. But you still need a reason to go to X or Y (or Z).

Quote:
Remember, I'm 19...
Now when it comes to marketable skills, I have considered staying here for school but ...
Considered? More like avoided.

Dive into school/training. THEN consider mpves

Old 12-17-2016, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Wonderful. But you still need a reason to go to X or Y (or Z).

Considered? More like avoided.

Dive into school/training. THEN consider moves
Actually I went to school, got a $2,000 hold, and am paying them off. I won't move until they're paid off and I currently have $1,700. Don't assume. $2,000 from fafsa assuming, like you just did, that my dad could give me the money like he doesn't have bills. And he was ONLY thrown in because I lived with him once and he claimed me on his taxes, gave me the return too and I spent it on school and a nice gift for him and my grandmother but that's another story for another day (and a choice made when I was a sophomore in high school). Without the hold paid I am barred from all schools in MN and the MNscu system. So I am paying them off and looking to move.

And my reason? The states are what I want. LGBT friendly and black population. I feel I am lacking the LGBT and black population everywhere I go but St. Cloud, Minneapolis, and St. Paul. State #2s insurance covers surgery I will be getting, not might this is a decision I am okay with (and don't assume why), yet is expensive but I found cheaper areas that pay enough for rent. State #1 is similar to MN in rent and wages, a hella bigger, but the literal suggestion of what I want however surgery is on me and thats $6500-$7000 I gotta figure out how to make.

I think I just answered your one question. Btw I corrected your comment, you misspelled 'moves' and it was annoying me to look at. But seriously, please don't assume with me, it's both annoying and I am made to correct you on the spot cause otherwise people read your comment, go with it, and now I got other people using wrong information as right.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:17 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
I personally would find a job in the area you want to move to first, then find a place to live and move. It could be a lot harder on you otherwise.

Old 12-20-2016, 10:10 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Since you mention LGBT, I am presuming that one of those letters applies to you (me, too). Contact the LGBT Center where you're moving and get on their mailing list. Go to events and meet people--the faster you can build up your network, the better off you'll be, and I don't mean via hookups.

May we ask what city you're moving to?

Old 12-21-2016, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Since you mention LGBT, I am presuming that one of those letters applies to you (me, too). Contact the LGBT Center where you're moving and get on their mailing list. Go to events and meet people--the faster you can build up your network, the better off you'll be, and I don't mean via hookups.

May we ask what city you're moving to?
As far as the LGBT comment goes, you are right. I never really thought of that, but there's issues within the community aimed at me in particular so I typically steer clear of both the LGBT community and black community until I get a feel of them in the area.

As far as cities go, I'm not too sure and still searching. So far I like Lakewood, Moses Lake, and Tacoma. All due to rent out there for a one bed and job wages (according to snagajob and indeed however). Seattle was my first choice until I saw the cost of renting and how much I get paid. The cheapest one bed I saw is $750 a month. Since a lot of places go by the 3x rent rule, something I just learned this year, I need to make at least $2,250 a month, which is beyond impossible without my degree and years of experience under my belt working in the field I want to. So even if I stayed in MN and got my degree, I will still need to work a couple years anyway before I make a reasonable enough wage to live in Seattle with it and that will follow me everywhere so I see no reason to stay in a state I hate just to get a degree that won't really matter because my experience level will be low out of school, regardless of where I go.

Old 12-22-2016, 08:48 AM

731 posts, read 935,847 times
If you come to the Pacific NW, please, please, please make sure you have some money saved up! It is so amazingly expensive out here and, on top of that, we don't have enough rentals, so the rents you see may be very hard to get if you don't have a great job and stellar credit when applying for them. No one will rent to you without a strong job history, because they don't have to. Someone else will take the place. Have you been reading the Seattle forum? I really don't want to see one more move become another homeless person on our streets.

Renting a room in someone's house way to the south is going to be your best bet, if you insist on moving here. We just finally got a family member moved out of his van and into a rooming house, so I know what I'm talking about. He pays over $500/mo to rent a bedroom. He has a good job, but bad credit and not enough cash for first, last, deposit.

Seattle is a very welcoming place for LGBT, but that is in the city. You should be fine around here, but to the south of the city is less so. Also, you realize that we are one of the whitest cities in the US? We have a very small black population. Most of our minority population is asian. Migrational patterns are the main reason for that. I only mention this, because you said it was important to you. Our black population tends to be mostly immigrants from African countries (Muslims).

I hear your emotions about moving out of your state. I say do it, but I think you really need to research, research, research. Please don't set yourself up for failure by showing up without enough money to sustain you before you find a job and a rental. If you had a degree and experience in computer science and were looking for a $2000 apt, then you'd have a good chance out here. As someone on the Seattle forum said, it's become a rich man's playground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues