Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 05:38 PM

128,997 posts, read 11,931,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbabyb View Post
how far did you move with your fish? Ive got two treasured cories that I wanna keep!
we moved 200 miles with my beautiful betta, we put him in a Styrofoam cooler with his tank water & cling film on top with hole. He survived the journey fine, but sadly, he died a few months later from fungus infection. I think the treatment was worse than the disease.

We were really picky about what furniture to bring, as we were downsizing, things like an old couch & beds all went to junk king. We bought a brand new bed for our new home, I couldn't see bringing it with me, plus it kept the moving costs down. We are still weeding through boxes, too many sentimental mementos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2017, 05:39 PM

419 posts, read 386,173 times
I am going through the same thing wondering which things we should take for a future move, hopefully this year. As others have said, there are just some things you want to keep because they function well or you simply like them.

We have some nice, solid furniture which is 20 years old and large. I am hoping to move into a smaller home, and if that happens, the furniture will probably be too large. Those pieces I will try to sell before leaving. Besides, after 20 years, I am looking forward to buying something different.

We have two CRVs to fill, but I don't want to completely jam them with stuff. We have two cocker spaniels, and I expect my backseat to be completely taken up with them in some sort of travel container as well as their food, etc. We'll take only those necessary things in the cars that we'll need immediately plus electronics, pictures, and DVDs.

For the remainder of the stuff, I hope to rent one of the Relo-cubes. I have to take my favorite golf clubs, because I don't know if I'll ever be able to find another 9-wood like my Cobra! I also want to keep my bike that I use most days. Hubby has tools he wants to keep. I'll throw in all kinds of things such as two soft ottomans that are doggie proof, an armoire because I like it, and some other small furniture items. The cube will be the catchall for everything from pots, pans, and dishes to framed favorite prints. Oh yes, and our books. We'll only take the ones we love or need. If I run out of room in the cube for them, I'll send them on via media mail. I'm thinking of throwing some of our clothes in the cube too and only taking a few things in the car. The value of the things in the cube will be low to others but priceless to us.

It is good to think these things out in advance, because there is so much work involved to make a move happen.

Old 02-06-2017, 03:22 PM

15,209 posts, read 10,238,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I keep family heirlooms and furniture that has special meaning to me. The #1 thing I downsized is my book collection. I had boxes and boxes of books from college and general leisure books. After moving 3 times, I later realized that I NEVER even unpacked the boxes. after each move. Before I made my last move, I donated them to the local library.

I did the same thing after my husband died. I realized we had boxes of book that we never read a second time. We had moved them from New York to Florida to North Carolina and back to Florida. After he died I kept maybe 20 books and gave all the rest to the library.

If I was moving out of state right now there is little I would take with me other than my dining room set, one antique piece and photo albums. While my furniture is good quality most of it is almost 14 years old and it would be cheaper to buy new when I got to where I was going.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:40 PM

403 posts, read 555,826 times
If something can be easily replaced, then don't move with it.

If something can't be easily replaced and you don't picture yourself using it in the new location, get rid of it.

If it can't be easily replaced and you know of something to use it for soon after getting moved in, move it.

Most people, myself included, take 2-3 times what they actually need or intend to use. You can sell that stuff for a little extra money or if you can't find a buyer, you can give it to friends/family or donate it to Salvation Army or Goodwill and as least save some weight in the vehicle that you plan to use for the move and save time on both ends as you have less to pack/load and less to unpack/unload.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:54 PM

343 posts, read 228,238 times
I've moved so many times that I have a simple rule. If it is still in the same place it was after the last move that means I haven't used it. If I haven't used it then it is a square-foot parasite. Sell it or give it away because it's not worth the cost of transporting it to the new place if you never use it.

Now it's not as easy as it sounds. I run into trouble with my textbooks and things I've written, favorite books (and other books- basically a lot of books) and also boxes of craft supplies for projects I still intend to work on...ideally when I have that life where I have all the time and serenity for that sort of thing!

But, the rule works extremely well with clothes, sports equipment, decorative items (if it's still in the box I clearly have outgrown the style) old electronics etc.

Also if you are hiring a moving company they will charge by boxes and or weight. So if I'm having trouble whether or not to bring something I will lean in favor of light items and lean towards getting rid of the heavy things.

I hope that helped

Old 02-07-2017, 03:00 PM

7,023 posts, read 6,257,151 times
Whatever I had to re-buy when I moved here comes with me when I move. There are things I don't use here but may use when I move to Tennessee. I won't know for sure about some clothes until I visit a church & see what they wear. The clothes I have now I had while working & are too dressy for my community. If they are still too dressy I will donate them so some other working woman can get use out of them.

The furniture I bought new will come. Everything else will have to be evaluated.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:05 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,929,897 times
Default whats worth keeping or pitching?

My last move was so hard on me. I really overdid it, and it took forever to recover! I'm older, which doesn't help.

SO - - if I should lose my mind and plan to move again someday (I don't), then here's what I'll do. I'll pack a couple of suitcases of clothes and one box of papers and memorabilia, with my iPad and laptop computer tossed in that box on top of everything. Period. I'll fit everything in my SUV. Then, I'll call an estate sale company and tell them to sell everything left in the house, and to take what doesn't sell to the dump.

Then I'd rent a tiny studio apartment and do the minimalist thing.

Can you tell that I am fed up with moving? Never again. Not only that, I think that every single one of us has a bit of the hoarder within if we accumulate stuff we don't need or use. All this stuff just isn't WORTH it to me.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:14 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,709,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbabyb View Post
On this topic how do you know if somthings worth it?

My main example: My teaching collection. I have a ton of kids books and a ton of reference books. I may teach post move or I may go into law
Another item: Fish tanks! Not normal looking ones but the smaller 2 or less gallon ones that I use for gardening and my beta/ snail addiction.
funiture- if its not sentimental should i keep it?

were 1.5 years off a move and I believe in being prepared!

I would dump all the "reference books". Anything that you need can be found quicker and more current online.

Old 02-13-2017, 07:31 PM

33 posts, read 27,690 times
Whenever I move, I pretty toss or sell everything that isn't sentimental or is way to expensive to buy when I move. I sell a lot of my furniture and try to start new when I get to the new place. It's always been refreshing to start over.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:44 AM

251 posts, read 243,732 times
I was a teacher for a long time. I know how much time and money goes into everything that you have bought yourself for teaching. As far as that stuff, I would say toss (or donate) anything that is really dated and you most likely won't use again. Or stuff you never look at bc now you look online. But if it's stuff you will use in the classroom f you teach again I would hang onto it until you are sure of your plans. I finally did get rid of everything but only when I was 10000% sure I was done with teaching. That stuff is too expensive to have to start over again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues