Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 11:31 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,544,998 times

Advertisements

So, My wife & I have been planning to move out West for some time now even before we went to take care of my mom before she passed. We have good plan to stay with her best friend for a while 6-1 year.
Get jobs with the same company we are with now just transfer they have openings. I've traveled this country back & forth MANY times now.

The traveling bug has never left me but at the same time I would hate to get stuck some where & not get back to where we started. Found a house near here that we could afford cash out something we always wanted with enough land on it to garden & it has fruit trees on it plus room for chickens & goats.

I WANNA pygmy goat!!! But we seem to be at a crossroads of sorts the house & land are what we would LOVE to found out West but we both know there is nothing in the price range we could buy out there. Even thought about buying an Airstream with some land & living in that remodeled to fit us.
Even land is high plus septic tank, etc.

The idea is to semi-retire which we could do either way & get part time jobs that we like doing. Being out West we could travel & hike those places we want because we're so close to them. Lots of hiking here too just don't want to get out there & blow though the money we have to buy us a place to settle down.

Off to work now please feel free to reply could use some advice here seem to be stuck as what to do. Ask away if need be, might be missing something we haven't thought of.

Common sense seems to have left us for the moment.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 12:25 PM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
So, My wife & I have been planning to move out West for some time now even before we went to take care of my mom before she passed. We have good plan to stay with her best friend for a while 6-1 year.
Get jobs with the same company we are with now just transfer they have openings.
This is incredibly fortunate. Does the job include a good HI plan too?
If so, that might almost make those "out west" housing prices justifiable...
depending on the specific town you're in

Quote:
Found a house near here that we could afford cash ...
Does the job there include a good HI plan?

Whether you stay or go and no matter where you might go...
you need to know that the HI plan is a part of the deal.
Especially now that you have some actual assets to protect.

Old 02-22-2017, 11:27 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,342,231 times
Took me a minute to figure out HI plan means Health Insurance Plan. Carry on...

Old 02-22-2017, 12:51 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,536,679 times
Hold off on the pygmy goat. Even if it is small it is still livestock. Go work for a goat producer for few weeks before getting a goat of any size. Seriously, bad idea to just get a goat. Seriously. Bad. Idea.

Otherwise, good luck on your adventure.

Old 02-22-2017, 01:17 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,050,766 times
"Out West" is pretty vague.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:07 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,544,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
"Out West" is pretty vague.
Where them there buffalo roam.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:07 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,598,384 times
You need to decide if you would rather hike in the rockies or have a mini farm.

In SC you have water coming out of the sky. That's a big deal. I don't think it's nearly as easy to ranch out west.

Plus in the upstate you'll be close to your friends in Asheville.

Old 02-24-2017, 06:06 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,119,343 times
When you own livestock you are tied to the property and it is difficult to go away for even a few days unless you have people around you who will offer to visit your homestead daily, to check on anything out of the ordinary. That includes loss of drinkable water, broken fences, coyotes or abandoned dogs, illness.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:33 PM

473 posts, read 502,722 times
Consider keeping a paid off home where you are now and RENT when you arrive at next spot. You might be disgusted at the crap you see happening around even rural areas now and ignored by the cops. Anything except the biggest wallets buying newly built houses (because this keeps the contractors working), is being messed with badly after a new move. Unless you REALLY know the area, I highly recommend you RENT for a while and hang onto the old house by having a needy friend stay there cheaply, maybe just charge your friend utilities.

Some rural spots are VERY hard on new people so you really need to keep options open while you see what is up and decide on your choice to stay.

For example, suburban area where I lived was running off some people who just purchased existing homes within 1-2 weeks by using threats/police scare tactics. I never could find out why this happened to people as it was families, singles, males alone, females alone...there was never any way to really track it. These were not allowed to sell and had to abandon. While, the people moving into the more expensive newer houses were being treated okay by cops. We had all kinds of complaints the police mishandled and forced repeat complainers out-doing but no attorneys that would deal with it. ACLU refused and so did attorney general of state...However, if you want to put up a sign that a certain cop was a crook, that could get you an ACLU case for a settlement....Was nice suburb with dirty past still hidden and apparently the skeletons in the closet still carried some weight to move things wrong again sometimes...Eventually, there were rapes in poor neighborhood, no cops gave a damn until they guy tried it in newer homes - that made the newspaper. The victims were refused rape kit to get dna testing....Then wallets stolen from houses while occupant was outside walking around and this kind of stuff thrown in ditch...

Best thing you can do is read the police report list in newspapers. Most of these newspapers are NOT covering a lot of repeat crimes the cops refuse to handle either - no reports ever taken once the cops decided the occupant would be moving away soon. Cops pretty much protect these people who do this kind of stuff...Victims just end up moving away if the problem goes on too long, you go broke. I know a lot of people pick up a spouse or roommate to keep this away but the cops in my suburb would mess up anyone alone or not. (Came home from vacation to find feces in their toilet and door locked even got someone in trouble later when the problems didn't quit.)

Lived in GOOD tourist area of the state for a while with something wrong in the sheriff's territory. In a town of 150, twice a week doors were kicked in for months and nothing done about it...Rumor had it the cops knew who did this...Whole situation went on until the guys just barged into a country home of older couple to do a home invasion and the homeowner got to use the right force, blowing the guy's knees off. Really, there was no reason for this crime either as the druggie's vehicle was still operational and they were not out of gas. Cops never investigated to connect the druggies with the kicked in doors over months either....

Last edited by cattalk1; 02-24-2017 at 11:46 PM..

Old 02-28-2017, 12:55 AM

32,946 posts, read 36,386,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
Took me a minute to figure out HI plan means Health Insurance Plan. Carry on...
It's not the Hawaii plan. That would cost more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues