U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2017, 09:36 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,746,458 times

Advertisements

So we will be selling our house in NJ and heading south to TN. Before we can stage the house (and garage) to sell we want to move out a lot of our "stuff". Storage units are very reasonable in the area we are heading to -for example we can get a 10 x 20 unit for around $90.00 a month or a 10 x 30 for $119.00 a month.

This is the concern- we need to store both a classic Mustang and household belongings (I have no idea for how long) I would guess 6 months. The big unit would hold every thing no problem- but none of the big ones are climate controlled. So I was wondering if we should just get a smaller one for the car and then a separate climate controlled unit for the household stuff. The household stuff would be clothes -some random furniture (nothing with upholstery) - tools-just typical stuff you would move from one house to another. Any thoughts?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2017, 10:45 PM

18,816 posts, read 29,412,567 times
I'd only worry, maybe, about humidity. You'd just have to think about the types of items that would be in a possibly hot, damp environment. But, if you think you'd be fine with any of those items in a garage where you'd be moving, then they should be fine in a storage unit.

Old 02-05-2017, 05:08 AM

8,579 posts, read 11,849,629 times
Anything with paper or delicate fabric would do best under climate control--for example, silk lamp shades, paintings and art prints, documents and files. But you might get lucky as long as there is simply good ventilation and a wood ceiling. A metal roof invites condensation, drips, and dampness.

Edited to add: I have no actual experience with storage units, just theory.

Old 02-05-2017, 05:57 AM

1,598 posts, read 2,179,646 times
I rented an unheated storage unit for about 10 years when I owned a business and needed to store extra inventory. If the floor is cement you will need to put items in plastic totes or use pallets to keep the items up off the floor - otherwise you may have moisture problems with damp cardboard boxes. Also, I once had a candy machine vendor store his inventory in the unit next to mine and it attracted mice. Mouse traps are a good idea - just in case.

When I was selling my house three years ago, I used an unheated storage unit with a wooden floor for 4 months. No problem with dampness, but, by this time stink bugs were a problem in PA. I should have used only plastic totes and sealed the totes with tape. Stink bugs can even be an issue in climate controlled units.

Last edited by Mary2014; 02-05-2017 at 07:24 AM..

Old 02-12-2017, 07:55 PM

8,623 posts, read 12,847,314 times
While were waiting for our last new house to be finished (we downsized from 3000+ sq ft), we did 6 months in a 1000 sq ft apartment. Thus, we put most of our household stuff into storage.

We were careful to put certain things into a climate controlled unit and then we put my motorcycle, all of my garage and shed items, and plenty of plastic storage tubs into the non-climate controlled unit.

The only issue we had was that the non-climate controlled unit got so hot, some the of the plastic tubs that were stacked up on each other weakened and gave up their structural integrity, causing the stack to fall over.

After one stack fell, I quickly shored up the other stacks by placing heavy items against them, blocking them from falling over.

All in all, the two units really worked out well for us.

Old 02-13-2017, 07:19 PM

33 posts, read 24,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
No problem with dampness, but, by this time stink bugs were a problem in PA. I should have used only plastic totes and sealed the totes with tape. Stink bugs can even be an issue in climate controlled units.
When the bugs and mice get in, those are the worst. I have had some problems with this over the year and advise a climate controlled unit and checking it often for anything related to pests.

Old 02-16-2017, 12:25 PM

30,971 posts, read 31,750,301 times
I've had a problem with clothing, leather/suede and paper/books.

Old 02-16-2017, 04:13 PM

9,762 posts, read 15,502,725 times
A little warning for anyone using a non-climate controlled storage unit. Several years ago somebody went around renting storage units in 3 different states in this area. A lot of these have no ceiling in the units. These people were going into their unit, closing the door, then climbing up the wall and checking out every other unit in the building, taking tools, electronics, and anything else of value. It would take a while before the victims knew about the loss. I believe, by the time these people were caught, they had stolen in the $100,000 range.

Old 02-16-2017, 04:58 PM

1,212 posts, read 989,292 times
Even the storage unit people will tell you not to waste your money on climate-controlled units unless you have a piano or a Picasso, a real Picasso.
We enjoyed having the outdoor drive up type because not oo many critters like being frozen or baked. Seems like a nice climate controlled unit with no ceiling or connected somehow would be more tempting to bugs and theives.

Old 02-16-2017, 06:01 PM

8,749 posts, read 4,763,694 times
I've stored antique furniture, paintings, china, and linens (in plastic tubs) in non-climate controlled units before. In fact, I've done it for the past couple of months while work was being done on my 1927 garage. The storage unit actually has a better floor and walls than the garage (concrete and metal as opposed to dirt and clapboard), so I've never had a problem with pests or mice. I'm hoping the stall mats I've put on the garage floor will prevent some of the pest and damp problems I've had before when I move all this stuff back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues