Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 11:20 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,498,140 times

Advertisements

I need to be able to write checks and pay bills, but how do I get my accounts from where they are to the other state? I've never actually moved interstate, so haven't a clue how to accomplish this item on my list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 04:58 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
...how do I get my accounts from where they are to the other state?
Are you changing banks when you move?
Most don't need to (because most use BOA or Wells Fargo etc)
---

If you are changing banks to one of the smaller non-national ones...
plan to keep the old account open for a while as you switch your activity over to the new account.

After a couple of months do a final transfer and CLOSE the old account
DO NOT leave it open.

Old 02-15-2017, 05:48 AM

24,470 posts, read 10,793,748 times
What institution are your accounts with and to which state did you move to?

Old 02-15-2017, 07:30 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,518,461 times
If you are using big chains (BoA, Wells, Chase, etc.) there is nothing you need to do. If you are using local banks you need to make sure all your checks clear at your old bank, don't write any new checks, cancel all auto-pays, and then go into the bank and say you are closing your account. They will give you your funds (check or cashiers check etc...) and then when you go to your new state/area you go into a bank and open an account. This is how it worked when I closed then opened a new account.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:59 AM

3,505 posts, read 761,223 times
send me all your money and i`ll hold it for you till you get settled ...

Old 02-15-2017, 11:40 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
Before I moved to Iowa, I visited several times. First, I got a PO box, and on the last visit, I opened an account with a local credit union, using the PO box as the address in case the house I was buying fell through. I started routing money into that account, using that debit card, and closed my accounts at banks in Ohio when I moved. I also used cash and internet payments during my final month in Ohio.

Old 02-15-2017, 04:14 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,498,140 times
I use a local savings bank chain and will transfer to similar when I move. I've already found the bank I want. I guess I need to know if I open an account on a visit to get the ball rolling, can I have everything transferred? Is there a fee? How much is it?

Or can I leave my money where it is and show up with the intention of opening a big account with everything transferred at once? Should I talk to my bank here first?

Old 02-15-2017, 04:51 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Are you changing banks when you move?
Most don't need to (because most use BOA or Wells Fargo etc)
---

If you are changing banks to one of the smaller non-national ones...
plan to keep the old account open for a while as you switch your activity over to the new account.

After a couple of months do a final transfer and CLOSE the old account
DO NOT leave it open.
Good advice!

Old 02-15-2017, 06:11 PM

375 posts, read 608,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I use a local savings bank chain and will transfer to similar when I move. I've already found the bank I want. I guess I need to know if I open an account on a visit to get the ball rolling, can I have everything transferred? Is there a fee? How much is it?

Or can I leave my money where it is and show up with the intention of opening a big account with everything transferred at once? Should I talk to my bank here first?
If you're planning to transfer to a new bank chain and you have already selected that new bank, you would do well to open a small account there when you visit.

However, before doing so, give them a call and get more details about opening an account, transfer times and fees if any.

Your old bank doesn't need to know your plans until you're ready to execute the move to the new one (they may charge a wire fee, but wiring large funds is fast and easy).

Old 02-16-2017, 05:28 AM

11,755 posts, read 14,644,267 times
I don't know if this is true, but I have heard that banks and credit rating agencies consider the balance with which you opened an account in evaluating your credit. So, opening an account with $1,000 or $10,000 makes you look good, forever, than if you open an account with $50.

As I say, I don't know if this is true, but if someone could confirm it it might be useful to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues