Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 12:08 PM

33 posts, read 61,963 times

Advertisements

I want to move very badly. For a drastic change, new environment, new people, new experiences, for everything! I have many friends, and a cousin, who bought houses in the towns they grew up in. They never lived anywhere else, did not go away to school, and their kids will go to the same schools they went to. I just can't see myself doing this. I think i can easily talk myself into it but i know down the line, i will regret staying in the same place my whole life.

Have any of you lived in the same place and never moved anywhere else? Do you wish you had and where would you have moved to?

Old 03-21-2017, 12:44 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times
I am currently living in the same place that I grew up in.I hope to move someday,OP.

Old 03-21-2017, 02:21 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,239,577 times
I lived in the same state/within 40 miles of where I grew up, until last October. Then I up and moved to CA.

Old 03-21-2017, 02:49 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,007,280 times
Go on a long vacation then see how you feel when you come back.

Old 03-21-2017, 03:53 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,385,415 times
A fellow that I went to kindergarten with bought a house with his wife in 1960, they still live there. In that same period of time my wife and I have owned 9 homes in 4 states. I think we have had the more interesting time.

Old 03-22-2017, 12:42 PM

91 posts, read 154,551 times
Born, and raised in upstate NY, and now we're headed to the Raleigh NC area in 1 week! Our kids are young so they will adjust. Our neighborhood is absolutely beautiful, and we're moving into a brand new house. I work for the government, so transferring my job was easy, (and my pay is higher.) My husband is a truck driver, and landed a job quite quickly. I say, if you have the opportunity, and the funds to move and experience new things, DO IT. Life is too short for what ifs. I know a few people who have told me they wish they had done these things when they were younger, and it were easier.

Old 03-22-2017, 02:19 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times
OP, since you feel this way now, I think you will regret it if you don't venture out and try some new places.

I am really glad I lived all over the U.S. when I was younger and could handle the adjustment. Now I don't have to wonder what other areas are like, got to experience it.

However, I also never had a career, so there is that. Is your job portable?

Old 03-22-2017, 02:49 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,314 times
I'm living in the same area where I grew up. I am about to get married to someone I met here and we have plans to raise our children here. I did live in another state for college for four years. I never imagined I'd settle down here BUT

My brother got into an accident when I was in college that left him in a life-long vegetative state. The guilt is keeping me here close to my immediate family. I do enjoy the area and I'm not upset about staying here, but I certainly have fantasies of getting away from my family. Ironically the thing keeping me here is the one thing I don't like about the area lol. I don't think I could escape the situation no matter how far I traveled unfortunately.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:27 AM

35,070 posts, read 31,293,790 times
I live in the same town in Tennessee.

I've lived most of the past five years in Iowa, Indiana, and some in Massachusetts. Have also lived in South Carolina. If I hadn't gotten out of this immediate area, there is no way I could have gotten the experience and skills to have a decent local job.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:23 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,291,679 times
I live within 10 miles of my parent's house where I grew up. I am in my mid-30's and have never lived outside of the area. This is also the area where my parents were raised, and my living grandparents still live around here as well. The thing that kept me here after college was family. I have a very tight-knit family that I didn't want to move away from. Now I have an established career, and much of the industry I work in is concentrated in this area. I want my kids to have the same close family experience I had when I grew up. Once they are grown they may decide to move away and I'd be alright with that.

I never had a strong desire to move away, not even when I was younger. You and many others do, and that's great. Some people are more adventurous than others, some enjoy a nomadic lifestyle, others are hermits. There is no one size fits all answer to this.

It's a long way down the road, but my wife and I think that after we retire we would like to move out into the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues