Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 08:31 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well, it's not an absolute must. I would prefer 3 weeks, as it is much easier to look for an apartment during business hours than on nights and weekends, though it can be done. I've done it before. But a short term rental also requires time to find one. Staying in a hotel is outrageously expensive and there would be no way I would be able to work overtime into the evening, because I would need to be looking for an apartment in the evenings instead of working. If not, then it would be a total waste of $500+ living in a hotel all week long just to only be able to look for an apartment on the weekend. Some apartment complexes are closed on weekends, too. But I won't turn down an offer if they really absolutely cannot afford to conduct business without me for one week. Smh.

When I got my current apartment here in CT, the apartment office was only open on M-F 8:30 - 4:30. In order to sign the lease and pick up my keys, I had to rush to the apartment leasing office during my lunch hour....the whole thing was just a rush, but it was only doable because it was only a 15 min drive. If my apartment will be say 30 mins from work, that would be practically impossible. If that happens again this time around, I may have to ask for like 45 mins of time off or make it up in the evening or something. I mean, they have to have SOME degree of understanding that I am human and need a place to live and some places are only open during restricted hours.
Hotel deals are a dime a dozen on Priceline. I usually pay $65 with tax for chains like the Hilton Garden Inn that way. Gotten Sheratons in same price range. It is about 50% the list price.

Old 04-02-2017, 08:47 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Hotel deals are a dime a dozen on Priceline. I usually pay $65 with tax for chains like the Hilton Garden Inn that way. Gotten Sheratons in same price range. It is about 50% the list price.
I'll figure it out either way. I'll ask for 3 weeks, but if they counter with 2 weeks, I'll make it happen.

With that said, if I don't get a job locally, I think DFW would be the best choice of all the places I'm searching. I would do very, very well there, economically.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:09 AM

6,558 posts, read 8,389,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Eh, the way I see it is....if I can't get a job here, might as well be open to anywhere, regardless of distance. Like I said, when I lived in Fairfield County, CT, I still felt "away" from home and like a total transplant. And it's not like I was just going to hop in my car and drive 90 minutes to visit family. I typically visit them about once every two months and they currently live 35 mins away.
In that case, you should go wherever the job takes you.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:11 AM

Yes! I landed a phone interview with a large $10B corporation in the Milwaukee area! The office is located just 1 hr and 10 mins south from where my brother lives.

Unemployment in the MKE area is only 4.2% and growth is only 0.3%. Property values are declining by -0.6% per year, too. The cost of living is lower than CT, but my salary will probably be reduced by like 15%.

Last edited by nep321; 04-03-2017 at 09:18 AM..

Old 04-03-2017, 09:03 AM

762 posts, read 1,750,112 times
I wish you luck!

Old 04-03-2017, 09:49 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
You're at a fork in the road and I see two basic options.

1) Live where you WANT to live and make the job and financial situation fit the location. If you want to live in CT for the long haul, stay there, but you may have to take a less than desirable job to do so, and/or scale back your lifestyle. You may have to change career fields to do well. With this option, you're basically trading career success, future earning potential, and wealth for proximity to family and location preference.

2) Continue chasing jobs in what it is you're doing, wherever you can get them, and double down on your career. You're going to have accept the location may not be ideal, you'll be away from family, etc. If you do this, throw yourself into your work 110% as you're basically just chasing money.

Neither choice is necessarily right or wrong, but you need to make a choice and commit to that route for at least several years. Being wishy-washy isn't going to solve anything.

I remember the threads from years ago about how you were looking at this and that city, but there was always some caveat. Many times it was distance from family, even though you rarely see them. It would be different if you were seeing family a few times a week, but I've seen it mentioned where you see them less than once a month.

To me, that would not be enough contact to justify staying in CT alone. If you want to live in CT for other reasons, stay there, but don't do it on account of family you rarely see.

I've been in this boat. I moved from TN to IA sight unseen in 2012. Hated it and moved back. IA has a red hot economy, but I would never move back there - I just didn't like Iowa. I moved to Indiana a few years later, and while I generally liked it, it was too far from family, but I've always seen my immediate family more than you seem to see yours. I might move back there under the right conditions, but it's unlikely.

You need to make up a list of 5-10 places that you'd think you'd enjoy living in, and then make the job situation fit that location. If that's local or regional to you, fine. If not, that's fine too. Whatever you end up doing, you need to make a decision to commit to that for a few years. Moving expenses are wasteful, it's stressful, and you don't want to be doing this at 40.

Old 04-03-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
You're at a fork in the road and I see two basic options.

1) Live where you WANT to live and make the job and financial situation fit the location. If you want to live in CT for the long haul, stay there, but you may have to take a less than desirable job to do so, and/or scale back your lifestyle. You may have to change career fields to do well. With this option, you're basically trading career success, future earning potential, and wealth for proximity to family and location preference.

2) Continue chasing jobs in what it is you're doing, wherever you can get them, and double down on your career. You're going to have accept the location may not be ideal, you'll be away from family, etc. If you do this, throw yourself into your work 110% as you're basically just chasing money.

Neither choice is necessarily right or wrong, but you need to make a choice and commit to that route for at least several years. Being wishy-washy isn't going to solve anything.

I remember the threads from years ago about how you were looking at this and that city, but there was always some caveat. Many times it was distance from family, even though you rarely see them. It would be different if you were seeing family a few times a week, but I've seen it mentioned where you see them less than once a month.

To me, that would not be enough contact to justify staying in CT alone. If you want to live in CT for other reasons, stay there, but don't do it on account of family you rarely see.

I've been in this boat. I moved from TN to IA sight unseen in 2012. Hated it and moved back. IA has a red hot economy, but I would never move back there - I just didn't like Iowa. I moved to Indiana a few years later, and while I generally liked it, it was too far from family, but I've always seen my immediate family more than you seem to see yours. I might move back there under the right conditions, but it's unlikely.

You need to make up a list of 5-10 places that you'd think you'd enjoy living in, and then make the job situation fit that location. If that's local or regional to you, fine. If not, that's fine too. Whatever you end up doing, you need to make a decision to commit to that for a few years. Moving expenses are wasteful, it's stressful, and you don't want to be doing this at 40.
Honestly, I have learned to be happy no matter where I live. I am strong minded now and able to handle any living situation, as there is no perfect place, period. My attitude is just to take the bad with the good, of living in any place.

With that said, it is critical that I earn enough money to live comfortably, because I know I won't be happy living on a subpar income and struggle, not able to save for retirement, not be able to buy a home, etc. I don't consider it to be "chasing money." I consider to be a minimum acceptable standard of living for my preferences with lifestyle, comfort and financial goals. Trust me...I am not the type to chase money or "get rich."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues