Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 05:31 PM

128 posts, read 183,005 times

Advertisements

Every time I, or another poster, have asked advice about moving to another area without any professional job skills or lots of money, everyone discourages the idea. Understandable. It's a risky move. I've done it a few times and failed.

It's obvious why it's generally a bad idea. But is it ever a good idea? Do you think sometimes it is worth the risk ?

Just looking for stories of those of you who have moved away without enough money to afford living on your own there/no job lined up/on a whim/etc. Have any of you done the "move to a new place not having a job or knowing a soul" thing and made it work successfully?

Old 04-09-2017, 05:42 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augentier View Post
But is it ever a good idea? Do you think sometimes it is worth the risk ?
No; it's not ever a good idea. At best it's a desperation move and unlikely to be worth the risk.

Quote:
Have any of you done the "move to a new place not having a job
or knowing a soul" thing and made it work successfully?
Not without useful skills AND at least some cash.
(some = enough to live on for a month or so at minimum)

Old 04-09-2017, 05:46 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,954,275 times
Sure.... What could possibly go wrong?

Old 04-09-2017, 06:17 PM

Again, I already stated that the reasons it's a bad idea are obvious.

Looking for stories of people who have made it work. I don't mean moving on NO money. Obviously you need some money to move and secure are place even if it's with roommates.

Old 04-09-2017, 07:06 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Looking for stories of people who have made it work.
Horatio Alger stories ----> LINK

Old 04-09-2017, 07:56 PM

586 posts, read 554,304 times
Quote:
Every time I, or another poster, have asked advice about moving to another area without any professional job skills or lots of money, everyone discourages the idea. Understandable. It's a risky move. I've done it a few times and failed.

It's obvious why it's generally a bad idea. But is it ever a good idea? Do you think sometimes it is worth the risk ?

Just looking for stories of those of you who have moved away without enough money to afford living on your own there/no job lined up/on a whim/etc. Have any of you done the "move to a new place not having a job or knowing a soul" thing and made it work successfully?
Absolutely. Life is a risk—go for it if you want to live somewhere new. You can always make friends and friends can help you find jobs.

Old 04-09-2017, 09:12 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,079,333 times
I'm sure it's worked out well for some people. Luck can pay off more than skills/hard work at times. Definitely the exception rather than the rule.

No matter how bad of an idea it seems like, someone is always going to say, "I know someone who did it and ended up off better..."

Just like when people talk about financing a vehicle or how much vehicle they can afford. Some fool always come along with his, "I pay cash for my vehicles..." spiel.

Old 04-09-2017, 09:57 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,185,059 times
Quote:
Have any of you done the "move to a new place not having a job or knowing a soul" thing and made it work successfully?
Yes. My husband and I moved 1,000 miles away from our hometown, where we were both born and raised, to a state and town that we'd only visited once for my husband's job interview, and we didn't know a single person there. We took a huge gamble by moving away from our family and friends, to a brand new state, an area of the country that we'd never been to, and he took the job, we sold our house and bought one here, and moved our kid's mid-school year. I didn't even see the house in person until after my husband had already bought it and was living there.

Now it's been since September for my husband living here, and since November for me and our kid's, but this is so far the best gamble we've ever made. My husband loves his new job and has made friends there. My kids have made friends at their schools, and I've made friends around our neighborhood and in my new community. Did I mention we went from a town of over 500,000 people, to a town of just 1,000?

Would this work for everyone? Nope. However sometimes it's just right, and in our case it was.

Old 04-09-2017, 10:07 PM

Crazy4Chickens..what a great story!! I especially am intrigued by the move to a SMALL town. I am from a town of about 15k and I always am trying to find its equivalent somewhere else. I think it's generally easier to meet people and form friendships in small towns. What else is there to do? Lol glad it worked for you and your family.

Old 04-09-2017, 10:51 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,371,355 times
Its never a good idea but it has worked for a few people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues