Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 06:15 PM

4,413 posts, read 3,470,515 times

Advertisements

Lol yes there are plenty of areas that are safe. It's best if you tell me generally where you would be working as that has a huge impact on your commute and thus quality of life.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:06 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,325,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
Lol yes there are plenty of areas that are safe. It's best if you tell me generally where you would be working as that has a huge impact on your commute and thus quality of life.
So if we were to move to Pittsburgh, that means My assigned city in general would Pittsburgh as a whole.

I would be working in & all over Pittsburgh, including surrounding towns & cities.

Old 04-26-2017, 11:22 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
If that's the case, throw some suggestions at me.

Good & safe suburb area, low crime area, housing cost estimates, etc... If you don't mind? I'm assuming you have experience in Pittsburgh if you're recommending it!
Avonworth school district. Low crime, suburb, but within minutes of Downtown. Housing is in the 150-350k range, easy to go higher. Mostly older stock...dated but usually well maintained. Although there are new developments in Ohio Twp. In that area, you're close to 279, easy access to Pittsburgh and in other direction ...Cranberry. Lots of businesses in Cranberry and north, like Zelienople. Wouldn't surprise me if you spend a lot of time there.

Avonworth is a small school district. Your kids won't get lost there.

Old 04-27-2017, 03:59 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,470,515 times
Quote:
So if we were to move to Pittsburgh, that means My assigned city in general would Pittsburgh as a whole.

I would be working in & all over Pittsburgh, including surrounding towns & cities.
Sorry, I was referring to Atlanta. Would you have to go to an office?

Old 04-27-2017, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
Sorry, I was referring to Atlanta. Would you have to go to an office?

The City of Atlanta would be office lol. I technically work from home, but go to different job sites on a daily basis everywhere in & around my assigned city.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:02 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,967 times
Quote:
Atlanta has been mentioned a few times, I've spent literally no time there so no clue what to expect. I know ATL gets a bad rep, are the areas of "bad" easily avoidable and suburbs safe?
Yes, the bad areas of Atlanta are easily avoidable -- you'd want to live in the northern suburbs, which are quite nice. It checks a lot of your blocks - affordable housing, low crime, good access to outdoors activities. It's also probably a good fit for you culturally. It's a moderately conservative area with little to no "old school" attitudes. The problem you'd probably have with Atlanta is the traffic. If you had to drive to all parts of the metro on a daily basis, you'd probably get annoyed quickly.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:42 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
What do you mean by great outdoors? Proximity to the beach? Proximity to hiking in the Mountains? Proximity to Golf Courses? Proximity to great deer hunting? Proximity to upland bird hunting? Proximity to caves to spelunk?

You might like Charlotte, NC. Two hours to Asheville for a getaway in the mountains and hiking, big-ish city but very suburban in its nature. In the suburbs people are pretty quiet about their politics and their religion. If you get into the city core or out into the country you will find people at either end of the spectrum.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Yes, the bad areas of Atlanta are easily avoidable -- you'd want to live in the northern suburbs, which are quite nice. It checks a lot of your blocks - affordable housing, low crime, good access to outdoors activities. It's also probably a good fit for you culturally. It's a moderately conservative area with little to no "old school" attitudes. The problem you'd probably have with Atlanta is the traffic. If you had to drive to all parts of the metro on a daily basis, you'd probably get annoyed quickly.
When I drove through Atalanta to Florida a few years back, I thought the traffic was TERRIBLE.

But now that I live near San Francisco, the traffic in Atlanta was nice compared to here. All the traffic rankings have Atlanta around #8 in worst traffic, San Francisco is around #2. I'll be okay!

Old 04-27-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
What do you mean by great outdoors? Proximity to the beach? Proximity to hiking in the Mountains? Proximity to Golf Courses? Proximity to great deer hunting? Proximity to upland bird hunting? Proximity to caves to spelunk?

You might like Charlotte, NC. Two hours to Asheville for a getaway in the mountains and hiking, big-ish city but very suburban in its nature. In the suburbs people are pretty quiet about their politics and their religion. If you get into the city core or out into the country you will find people at either end of the spectrum.
The outdoors in general. Hiking, biking, golfing, etc... If the ocean is accessible, then a nice lake would do to be able to swim & paddlebord. Mountains are a plus, but don't have to necessarily be in my background. I hurst want to be in an area where there is outdoor activity available, decent outdoor activities.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:05 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,967 times
Quote:
When I drove through Atalanta to Florida a few years back, I thought the traffic was TERRIBLE.

But now that I live near San Francisco, the traffic in Atlanta was nice compared to here. All the traffic rankings have Atlanta around #8 in worst traffic, San Francisco is around #2. I'll be okay!
I'm originally from southern California, so Atlanta traffic doesn't annoy me too much -- everything's relative. If you can get over the traffic, you might really like it here. Definitely worth a closer look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues