Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 02:39 PM

905 posts, read 1,102,846 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

The title of the thread essentially sums up my dillema. I'm planning to move next year. It'll sound bad to say, but I'm simply not happy where I am, so it's making me extra eager to leave. I went back to college to finish a degree though, so I need to stay put for a little over a year before I can/should bail.

Just curious for input from others. This forum seems full of people unhappy with where they live, who are eager to get the hell out of dodge like myself. For those who fit this criteria, what did you do during the last months - year or so of living somewhere before leaving that made it more enjoyable for you? Did these feelings change at all when you finally did leave?

Old 04-25-2017, 12:13 AM

2,096 posts, read 2,326,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightoficarus87 View Post
Hey all,

The title of the thread essentially sums up my dillema. I'm planning to move next year. It'll sound bad to say, but I'm simply not happy where I am, so it's making me extra eager to leave. I went back to college to finish a degree though, so I need to stay put for a little over a year before I can/should bail.

Just curious for input from others. This forum seems full of people unhappy with where they live, who are eager to get the hell out of dodge like myself. For those who fit this criteria, what did you do during the last months - year or so of living somewhere before leaving that made it more enjoyable for you? Did these feelings change at all when you finally did leave?
I lived in Louisville,KY pretty much my entire life until about a year ago when I relocated to San Francisco for my job/company. I am ready to move elsewhere and do not like this area at all. I'm in the same boat as you.

However, you might as well make the best of it. In the San Francisco area, there is at least some amazing opportunities to explore the outdoors here (Yosemite, Lake Tahoe, Etc...) that I am taking advantage of. To me, it'd be a waste not to experience everything I can here. I'm not sure where I'll move next, but definitely away from here!

Old 04-25-2017, 12:26 AM

2,320 posts, read 1,869,473 times
so go over to Clement street (like 7th and Clement) get some delicious dim sum to go, and drink at the Plow and Stars (Irish Pub ) there for good measure, take the 31 Balboa to Ocean Beach and enjoy a sunset on the beach (and the Cliff House is right there if you want cocktails and nice appetizers- or take a walk on the Baths underneath)...
SF has so many casual, easy, non pretentious things to do, I loved it for the mellow day to day activities and fun food and events....

Old 04-26-2017, 01:19 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
Quote:
I'm simply not happy where I am, so it's making me extra eager to leave.
Try distracting yourself. When you find yourself in a I-hate-this-place funk, listen to your favorite music or go workout or go watch a movie.

One of the greatest lessons anyone can learn is to let go when they find themselves in a bad situation that they can't do anything about at the moment.

Unless one is in the middle of an active war zone, there is usually a couple of places/activities that are "okay." Try to focus on those and on schoolwork. The time will go by faster.

Old 04-26-2017, 04:16 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,293,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
so go over to Clement street (like 7th and Clement) get some delicious dim sum to go, and drink at the Plow and Stars (Irish Pub ) there for good measure, take the 31 Balboa to Ocean Beach and enjoy a sunset on the beach (and the Cliff House is right there if you want cocktails and nice appetizers- or take a walk on the Baths underneath)...
SF has so many casual, easy, non pretentious things to do, I loved it for the mellow day to day activities and fun food and events....
I loved Golden Gate Park & just walking to Ocean Beach & watching the waves come in. San Francisco can be a great walking city.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:06 PM

227 posts, read 258,123 times
Actually was in the same spot. We decided just under three years ago where we were moving to after our youngest graduated. We had known we'd be moving, but we had narrowed it down to two contenders. When we made that final call I went back to college, finished my degree, got a job in our new town and my husband got his job secured and we're finally at the move point. Well he already went ahead as his new job needed him sooner so I've got one more month to go and am packing up our house and getting the house ready to be listed.

The last couple of years has been absolutely hectic and it was very hard at times. We were stuck commuting, studying, working and all of that to hope for a chance at securing a job because we weren't going to make the move without employment.

All I can say is stick to your plan, remind yourself it'll happen, keep your eye on the prize. It'll happen, you'll be there, and it'll be great.

Old 04-27-2017, 06:07 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,491,452 times
I don't hate where I live now but we have been here 12 years and I still don't think of it as "home."

I have wanted to move back to CA, where I consider home, for the entire time we have lived here. And now, circumstances are such, that we are looking at moving back! I am so excited. BUT, we probably will wait one more year, until my middle son graduates high school and until my oldest finishes his 2 year degree.

It is killing me. I want to go NOW. We are going out this summer.

And what prompted the entire thing is that DH was told his job may be eliminated at work. There isn't much in this area for what he does, so we are rather limited. In fact, if he is laid off this summer, we may need to move earlier than expected.

But if we stay for another year, I just plan to work on prepping myself. I spent Spring Break on my house, decluttering, organizing, cleaning (I even hired someone to help me!) And then when we need to sell, it will be ready!

I am also cutting expenses so that I can have more $$ in the bank when we move and more $$ for the kids to pay out of state tuition for a year.

I am just planning, planning, planning.

Old 04-27-2017, 06:48 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times
Quote:
Hey all,

I passed the time by setting aside a specific activity to do the first Sunday, second Sunday, etc. it made the upcoming workweek more bearable and helped to count down the time. Sounds weird but it helped.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:25 PM

473 posts, read 502,232 times
Don't accumulate any more stuff & start selling off the rest. Moves are simple if just a carload & can be as simple as foldup table (will give link to affordable recommendation), camping chair and blow up mattress for a few months even after you do relocate. Lots of places have resale furniture places or thrift stores that deliver. Buy multiple pieces and try to haggle free delivery once you are sure you want to stay. Clothing moved in trash bags can go like incredible-shrink bags if you use expensive yard trash bags, use vaccuum to suck out air, spin the bag to twist it and put a postal rubber band around this. Will shrink for at least a week....I like to take a basic 'mess kit' and my microwave when I car move but all can be picked up at thrift store/Dollar Tree for $20-30 when you get there...I just like to keep the coffee pot plus good skillet and good sauce pan from decent cooking set.

Best computer desk, dinner table or picnic table EVER: https://www.menards.com/main/home-de...inStoreId=3279

Really sturdy, adjustable height, lightweight, folds flat to move and cheap.

OMG! This resonated with me as local area has been leaving the middle aged people who chose to stay RUINED with NOTHING LEFT - lost retirement money after so many job screwings without unemployment, some had health care with HORRIBLE medical care, HORRIBLE nursing home stories (NOTHING DONE BY COPS/GOVT), horrible work history, job references that will ********* (get references/recommendations in writing from now on as something goes wrong with a lot of people in some areas and don't care about even screwing their own up), lost house, ruined vehicles, illiterate children who had to date to 'be left alone' so tons of grands to support, higher education that ruins people (dept of Ed at state doesn't care).

This place will do multiple BLACKBALLS and public attacks. Is horribly hard place to work for the responsible ones, jobs they usually cannot keep filled due to horribly low staffing and lower pay for suit-worthy life/death responsibility.

I think coping with a depression situation that is starting to wear you to exhaustion/borderline depressed/or compulsive coping (smoke, drink, junk food, sex, gamble) is admitting such. Taking a short
'break' from things doesn't hurt whether it is a few nites at the lake, visit a friend/family on weekend of just 'staycation' on the couch with some good movies. Goals are next step and treats along the way. Would also build up the financial resources for the move as always ends up costing more -- plus getting rid of unnecessary stuff to which you have no emotional attachment. Can be kind of 'emotionally cleansing' to dejunk even 15 minutes each day on weekends. **Avoidance is other tool - you know the trouble spots where you live, trouble makers and users....Don't give them any more of you!**

In your case, you MAY want to stay around where you know all the internship opportunities,
'career services dept' at your college is nearby and you already use the professional organizations for your field of study. YOU CAN HAVE A HUGELY BETTER INTERNSHIP IF YOU USE ALL YOUR EXISTING CONNECTIONS IF YOU ARE LIVING IN POSITIVE AREA, IF SCREWED UP PLACE, BETTER TO ABANDON IT. Or, you may be in place you must abandon as the 'career work' is just not available. People who stayed put together coolers at Coleman, mow lawns or do office work for remaining. (Craigslist is GREAT place to find internships and temporary entry-level work arrangements btw. Also know if you can pay 6 months of rent up front, most of these apartments will rent to you but you obviously need to have the money saved for all the other expenses during this time while you job hunt. Gigs on Craigslist in any city will keep you in all kinds of legit day work if you get into financial pinch.)

My goals:
I did the trip to refocus....I have a house lined up elsewhere but still being renovated so may be fall before I can occupy it.
1. Land stable employment in anything kind of related to my field. The freelance business is just not bringing in enough money and mostly a lot of freebie intern situations that no longer suit as my credit card balance goes higher and higher. Last free internship ended up screwing me and lady was instructor for subject and refused to give any useful feedback or coaching....WORTHLESS TO ME and I got used without good references after busting my BUTT!
2. Other goals: Regular exercise. Keep same schedule...Improve my eating habits.
3. End the compulsive coping behaviors like takeout food due to laziness/exhausted...
4. Rewards: Photo trips, cheap events and savings in bank for not spending much...

Old 04-27-2017, 11:37 PM

8,149 posts, read 8,348,424 times
I have lived in places and situations for periods of time that were far from my first choice. So I learned to read interesting books and find really great places to walk and drive. I have volunteered for dog rescue as a foster home or just doing whatever needed like walking dogs for a local shelter. I took some free DIY classes at Home Depot. I went to the gym and took fitness classes, I grew a herb garden. I was a Big Sister volunteer. I took up bike riding and logged hundreds of miles on bike trails. I bought cheap pieces of small furniture and then stiped, sanded and restained them -- so satisfying! I tried cooking some interesting recipes. I went to various farmer's markets and bought veggies and other items -- just loved strolling thru different flea markets, too. I listened to incredibly interesting podcasts while soaking in the bathtub and taking long walks.

All this above are things I have done to enrich my life in places I both liked and disliked. I bet you can think of tons more things to do....fishing, kayaking, skating, art projects.....In the end, we are all more alive inside ourselves than where we are geographically situated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues