Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 09:00 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,577,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
THIS. Many of us work a full-time job and a gig, two jobs (one full-time and one part-time or two part-time), contract work, a series of gigs, etc. We do this to survive. Say I sell things on eBay and run a YouTube channel (not as profitable as it once was mind you) my income wouldn't be in a bank statement or a pay-stub. That and many of us (about half of traditional pay) get e-stubs now. I work two jobs, both offer direct deposit and I do use it. One is through Paychex and the other is internal. The job that uses Paychex, I had to actually either go to the place of business (on a non-workday) OR wait to get it sent out until I was able to fill out direct deposit.

Gigs (Fiver, Uber, Lyft, paid surveys, local handyman, day-labor, etc.) are much harder to quantify. They don't send traditional income sources because it is paperless. Either you get an envelope of money or an e-transfer. Even restaurants running on tips and tip-share is somewhat paperless. It wont give an immediate revenue source. You will need to wait to the end of the year or a co-signer (the same as a recent college grad who has a job lined up but no credit history or paystub to their name.)

The fact is I think in the next five years, Paypal and other sources will be deemed reasonable. Why, the economy is drastically changing. Fewer and fewer of us will get traditional paystubs and will have to print them. I had to e-mail mine for my car because I didn't think I'd walk out with my car that night and I didn't print one at work.
In that case your past tax forms will suffice, as they do now.

Old 05-14-2017, 10:00 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
I think some of you are getting all pissy over the wrong thing. What I'm reading is if a person is paid via paypal that is no different than direct deposit of the payroll check to their checking account which is no different than getting handed cash on payday which is no different than receiving company stock. How you get paid does not seem to be the main issue, it's proving the income as income.

Those with traditional paycheck can always have an employment verification done, but if it can;t be done, they still have tax returns

Those that are self employed have tax returns to support their income.

Even those in cash payment employment will have a tax return to show the cash income.

So, for the life of me, I really can't understand why those who are paid by Pay-Pal can't comprehend the simple logic that having money in an account does not mean it's from income. Just show the freeking tax returns!
Because "M8 it's 2017..." I'm dodging another poster from another forum but, it is behind the times and not excepting a PayPal statement. Even if I show a pay stub and/or tax return, it don't show how much money I spend month to month. Maybe I spend more than I make? PayPal statements, especially high dollar payments. We aren't talking $300 every two weeks mind you. We are talking likely $700/800.

I do think that what the employee should do is ask what can be used. If it is PayPal or if it is in fact tax returns.

Old 05-15-2017, 07:23 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
In the end, the only way you'll qualify to rent an apartment is to supply whatever paperwork the owner or manager requires. It may or may not be what you feel is reasonable, but that doesn't matter.
True, so maybe the takeaway here is that landlords need to be a little more open-minded and/or flexible (I'm cracking myself up here) when asking for proof of income. We don't all have the traditional pay stub to show, and W-2s, 1099s, and tax returns may not provide the most up-to-date information. What I earned in 2016 does not reflect at all what I'm earning in 2017.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
If someone were to show me a PayPal statement instead of Tax Returns, I'd laugh. PayPal isn't meant to be used for "official" proof of anything. It's for people to buy crap online
PayPal is used for a whole lot more than that - as the OP pointed out, it's 2017; perhaps you need to get out more? - but people also can and do make a good living by selling "crap online".

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Millions of people work from home and make a lot of money the OP is correct. Doesn't make him a special "snowflake"

Millions of people trade stocks for a living like day trading
Millions of people flip houses

There is no "traditional" way in this day and age exactly like the OP is saying.
Exactly, and I wish I could rep you again.

Old 05-15-2017, 07:29 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonthenerdyguru View Post
Drug dealers have no paper trail,they are strictly cash and you seem to know a lot about drug dealers?hmm

Its 2017,who still gets paper checks?Direct deposit or online payment services...
Technology is your friend
Amazingly enough just like your statement *not everyone flips burgers or has a 9 - 5*
not everyone relies on technology when it comes to money, many businesses still use paper checks to pay debts and to get paid, the actual paper is available even when *technology* is not working......

Old 05-15-2017, 10:19 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
True, so maybe the takeaway here is that landlords need to be a little more open-minded and/or flexible (I'm cracking myself up here) when asking for proof of income. We don't all have the traditional pay stub to show, and W-2s, 1099s, and tax returns may not provide the most up-to-date information. What I earned in 2016 does not reflect at all what I'm earning in 2017.
They don't. Say I worked last year with ABC Corp. I made $35k through a Pay Stub. This year I still work with ABC but now I'm not a contract employee, instead they went to PayPal for me as a freelancer. I now make $28k, but that wouldn't show up until next year's taxes.

Old 05-15-2017, 12:53 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,848,721 times
Anyway, how much one makes doesn't mean they can meet the rent each month...they could have a lot of expenses that wouldn't necessarily show up on a tax form. I would think ones credit rating, employment history (worked at jobs for years), prior years of renting, should also weigh in.

Old 05-15-2017, 03:11 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,597,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonthenerdyguru View Post
To make this story short,it just amazes me when people say proof of income they assume paystub or physical check.I LAUGH at that,and I don't work a 9 to 5 job.I'm freelance contract and I do work online jobs.So anyways I applied for a few apartments and when they say proof of income I told them I'll either email or print out my paypal statements(I receive money in my paypal account every month for the company I have contract with).But however so far they denied me and wanted a check or pay stub,which is ridiculous. EVERYONE assumes job is either in the office or flipping burgers.That's like 60's,anyways im not too worried ill find a apartment(I definitely got the money for it)
The last time I showed my condo we had a few people lined up. The condo isn't in a great part of town, but it's nice, updated and has a little community area shared by 32 units. It's nice and quiet. Perfect for a small family with kids.

Income-wise, I'm fairly understanding, as I've got nontraditional income too.

The first guy was a tattoo artist. Kept saying he made $75 an hour...but with nothing about how regular it was. He drives up in a spotless new model Lexus and has two adorable kids. The kids ran around and were immediately horsing around. I wasn't offended by that, they are kids being kids, but the car interior struck me. It was immaculate. Not a cheerio or a wrapper. Car was just washed. It was also easily the nicest car in the parking lot. What we were being shown, was not real. I don't care why, I don't want to see the income level. Whatever this dude is selling, I'm not buying.

The next couple that came was a grandmother and grandfather that often cared for their grandchildren. Their son and his girlfriend gave them a ride in a Honda and to translate. The children did not come. They couple both had little low level cash jobs at nearby restaurants. They wanted to be close to walk to work. I don't know how much they make, but they'd worked their for years. These people wanted a home. It was close to their livelihood. The place before they'd lived for 5 years and the landlord had stopped paying their mortgage in the bust and, despite paying their landlord, had no rights to the home and were given 60 days by the bank to relocate, which they were doing. It has a little pool area the kids could come over and play in.

Their story made sense. Wife agreed and we rented it to them. That was 2013. They're still there.

Nontraditional income may be more, but there's no denying it isn't usually as steady over the long haul. People who rent out homes want steady income. Someone who makes their living online can live anywhere. There's no reason you might need my place. With the couple there, I let them know they can paint it or do what they'd like to change things up. They will likely live there until they stop working entirely. They will more likely look at it as their own home and care for it accordingly. It's more than just income.

Old 05-15-2017, 04:09 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,326,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

PayPal is used for a whole lot more than that - as the OP pointed out, it's 2017; perhaps you need to get out more? - but people also can and do make a good living by selling "crap online".

Exactly, and I wish I could rep you again.
Sure, It's 2017, but that doesn't mean Landlords & Property owners should switch to accepting PayPal statements. The only way to verify "legit" income is to show tax returns, showing what your actual income was.

Maybe you're okay with someone showing a PayPal statement to show you what they "made". But when it comes to personal property I OWN, I'll trust a legitimate government form instead.

Old 05-15-2017, 04:25 PM

6,588 posts, read 4,972,969 times
[quote=artillery77;48165036
The first guy was a tattoo artist. Kept saying he made $75 an hour...but with nothing about how regular it was. He drives up in a spotless new model Lexus and has two adorable kids. The kids ran around and were immediately horsing around. I wasn't offended by that, they are kids being kids, but the car interior struck me. It was immaculate. Not a cheerio or a wrapper. Car was just washed. It was also easily the nicest car in the parking lot. What we were being shown, was not real. I don't care why, I don't want to see the income level. Whatever this dude is selling, I'm not buying. .[/QUOTE]

Not saying you were wrong about this guy at all - but as kids my family had 2 cars, a Cadillac and a truck. We used the truck for camping and were allowed to color and do kid things to stay amused while traveling. I think it was close to 30 years old when he finally parted with it, and the interior was still in great shape despite all we did in it.

We were not allowed to do anything in the Cadillac. At all. There was not a smear of dirt anywhere. We sat, we could not kick the back of the seat, no food, no drink (dad didn't like that in any of the vehicles).

He also meticulously maintained them, buffed them twice a year, washed at least once a week, always nicely waxed. If he was going out to look at a place to rent or buy, he absolutely would have taken his Caddy and it would have been as you described.

The only difference would be that us kids likely would not have been there, and if we were, we wouldn't have been running around.

His Caddy's were never new though. Always a few years old when he bought them and he kept them 8-10 years.

Again, not saying you were wrong about this guy but there are definitely people who have spotless cars even with kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues