Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2017, 10:09 AM

64 posts, read 213,842 times

Advertisements

Say you bought a car in Tennessee and it's titled there. But then you move to another state. I know you have to change the registration to match the new state but what about the car title?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 10:27 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,555,661 times
I would check the DMV web site of the state where you will be residing. When I moved from PA to DE I needed an address in DE before I could get my car insurance changed to DE. I needed DE insurance before I could register my car in DE. DE required me to have the car retitled in DE and to pay them 3% of the book value to get it retitled.

I imagine it is state specific as to if a particular state requires retitling of the vehicle.

Old 06-09-2017, 10:46 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagsfan05 View Post
I know you have to change the registration to match the new state but what about the car title?
The car title gets changed BEFORE the registration can be done.
And they'll charge you some excise tax too.
And you'll need to get a new drivers license as well.

Most states require this all be done within 90 days of moving in.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:19 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
much depends upon the state laws you're moving to.

Here in Wyoming, they do require a new title for your vehicle so that it can be registered/licensed in Wyoming.

But here's the little secret few folk understand:

at the County Clerk's office, the folk at the counter will "process" your new Wyoming title application and hit you with all the attendant fees. This would be a full ownership legal title that you can use to sell the vehicle.

But you have an option which they don't tell you about: Get a "non-transferable title" from Wyoming. What this does is get a title in the system so that the registration can be issued by the County Treasurer. The fee for the Wyoming non-transferable title is only $15. The Wyoming non-transferable title is solely for the purposes of getting the vehicle into the system, not for proof of ownership. Generally speaking, most county clerks will not mention this option, you have to ask for it.

You keep your old title from the state it was issued. When you sell the vehicle, that's the ownership title which you'll sign over to the buyer.

Perhaps the state you're moving to has a similar program for vehicle titles? Inquire at the DMV or agency where you'll get your registration in the new state.

Old 06-09-2017, 12:12 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
In my experience several states didn't require a new, in-state title for vehicles when I moved into the state. Washington does require a Washington title to register here, although, a work-around like Sunsprit mentions might be available here, although I don't know about it.

Old 06-12-2017, 01:02 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,174,626 times
Neither Montana nor Michigan require a new title.

I've never even thought about it.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:29 PM

988 posts, read 1,827,413 times
Texas does not require you to re-title, just register the car.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:46 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Some years ago Colorado let me keep my Illinois title, just got CO plates. When I later sold it, just signed the IL title. Buyer took it to FL, no problem.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:00 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,623,277 times
I've moved from pa to AZ to NC to FL. Each of those States issued a new title.

For the vehicles I've owned outright I've had to surrender my old state's title and be issued​ a new one.

For the vehicles with a lein I've had to have the lender ship the title to the new states dmv, then the state issued a new title to the lender. This process was a pain, the lenders don't like to do this...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues