Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2022, 11:07 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,583 posts, read 57,536,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
The issue with TM&AT is that you have to pay for their time both ways. ...
Deadhead back to Portland from Dallas
That would add some serious bucks. And REALLY uncomfortable for two persons driving / hauling. + their trucks are NOT OTR, so then you have permits and IFTA fuel tax issues and whether the drivers and vehicle have interstate authority. (likely not)

Tenants used TM&AT for an 800 mile move (2 states). Turned into a real nightmare when a hitch in the closing papers would not allow items to be dropped at new house. Had to drive 2.5 hrs to a storage shed, unload and send first truck home, then hire another truck and driver the next morning to reload from storage and take to new home. A very expensive mess. ($2500 in extra costs on a $2000 initial move). I offered to drive the $700 rental truck for FREE.

Use the appropriate services for your move.

Long haul? Use a long haul carrier with adequate resources to complete your assignment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2022, 04:10 PM

4,686 posts, read 3,124,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
The issue with TM&AT is that you have to pay for their time both ways. I used them for a 2.5-hour move and it was not that bad. However, unlike other firms, they don’t come in and do estimates to give you an idea of how long it should take based on what they see in the house. I had one other move take way longer than necessary because they didn’t want to “waste time” doing stuff like taking items apart to get them through the door/stair area. Of course, that ended up taking way longer than taking stuff apart would. I am pretty sure they spent like 1-2 hours trying to get a couch through the door only to find that they needed to keep the cushions separate from the frame. Really?
I used TM&AT for a long distance move and they had an estimator come to the house a couple weeks before. The cost for them was probably similar to the cheapest of the 'big name' national outfits I talked to... but I knew the same two guys that loaded my truck on Tuesday morning would be driving it and unloading it at the destination. No complaints.

Old 04-28-2022, 05:52 PM

14,381 posts, read 20,447,493 times
You could consider
https://www.uship.com/

My crew was a carrier for a period of time and accumulated 29 feedback. You post your listing with photos and a list of each item you have. You accept bids and don't bite on the first ones. They will go lower. Then use the bidder's feedback to see their reviews, and you can choose the ones who are insured, etc.

Old 04-28-2022, 06:57 PM

4,686 posts, read 3,124,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
You could consider
https://www.uship.com/

My crew was a carrier for a period of time and accumulated 29 feedback. You post your listing with photos and a list of each item you have. You accept bids and don't bite on the first ones. They will go lower. Then use the bidder's feedback to see their reviews, and you can choose the ones who are insured, etc.
That's one very important reason I went with the local Two Men to take me long distance. Here's the bid... take it or go shopping. No games to play. No 'ifs' or 'unless' crap... we'll load it up and see you at the other end.

Old 04-30-2022, 08:47 PM

1,150 posts, read 2,501,448 times
We have used Two Men and a Truck twice, once for a local move and once for 130 mile move. Very pleased.

Old 05-05-2022, 04:25 PM

4,817 posts, read 4,722,225 times
Two Men is owned by ServiceMaster, who also owns Merry Maids and other home service type companies. They are a franchise operation, so the people you get in one place are not likely to be the same people you get in another place.

Old 05-30-2022, 03:35 PM

4,978 posts, read 2,550,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
Two Men is owned by ServiceMaster, who also owns Merry Maids and other home service type companies. They are a franchise operation, so the people you get in one place are not likely to be the same people you get in another place.
This makes sense. I've seen this company name in several states and I always assumed they were different businesses operating under the same name. I mean, it is a nifty name for any (particularly small) moving company. I never imagined they were national.

Old 06-05-2022, 08:33 AM

1,383 posts, read 744,146 times
I had never heard of them before, but I loved their simple name so much I'm going to give them a call : ) I'm so glad I kept reading the posts!

Old 06-05-2022, 10:17 AM

39 posts, read 32,592 times
As an update, they finally got over here and replaced the fan blade, flawlessly. It's the same exact fan as before I moved in now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues