Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 05:54 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times

Advertisements

Isn't it cathartic in a way? I reached that point with my last move, where I was like "if I don't need it, out it goes!!" I didn't even worry about donating or selling stuff after a while, and literally just put it all by the dumpster... in that neighborhood, I knew somebody would find (and take) it from there anyway.

Last edited by gizmo980; 08-27-2017 at 06:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 07:30 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,293,948 times
The movers came today & took my 30 boxes & the furniture I am moving. Only taking the good furniture. Tomorrow I do a final run through of what is left. If it won't fit in my car, I don't need it.

Whatever doesn't fit goes to a thrift shop.

I am so done with packing. It's time to move on & get this over with.

Old 09-11-2017, 06:41 AM

6,752 posts, read 3,367,193 times
We're doing a cross-country move from the Chicago area to Henderson, NV next month. We've also gotten rid of tons of things and it's amazing what accumulates when you've been in a house for 25 years. It's funny, but the more we get rid of the less sentimental I've been about keeping things.

Assuming you're using movers, you have to weight the cost of moving something versus keeping it, and even if it's worth keeping. In most cases, for us, we just got rid of things. One of the objectives was to downsize, and if nothing else we have at least accomplished that.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
We're doing a cross-country move from the Chicago area to Henderson, NV next month. We've also gotten rid of tons of things and it's amazing what accumulates when you've been in a house for 25 years. It's funny, but the more we get rid of the less sentimental I've been about keeping things.

Assuming you're using movers, you have to weight the cost of moving something versus keeping it, and even if it's worth keeping. In most cases, for us, we just got rid of things. One of the objectives was to downsize, and if nothing else we have at least accomplished that.
Yes, I looked at things I hadn't even used in over 2 years & thought, what makes you think you'll use it there?

The only thing I can think of that I may re-buy is an electric iced tea maker. But it was so bulky that I chose to give it to a friend rather than waste the space as I'd limited myself to the 30 boxes. I am finding that I'm drinking more iced tea in this hotter climate though so will probably replace it.

One of my biggest giveaways was winter clothing. I kept some as it does get cold here but not the 6 months worth I had in Minnesota.

Old 09-13-2017, 02:41 AM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
I've never really understood the purpose of iced tea makers. I boil water, throw in some tea, and let if cool. I guess I'm missing something?

Old 09-13-2017, 05:24 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
When we first moved we had many boxes that we never opened in the first 20 years - I guess that makes us hoarders! We did get rid of them; but now is a great time to go through all of our saved favorites (junk) and see what we can donate. There are many people in need and if we have not used something in a long time; then it is time to give it to people that might be able to use it!

What really gets me, when we give, is how many of our 'treasures' nobody wants! Try to get rid of old furniture today. Here I thought we were saving 'antiques' to find out that the Salvation Army and even antique shops will not take our treasures for 'free'! They did take some and the others I had to take to the dump and break off the legs! It was kind of humiliating; I guess we don't have a great eye for furniture!

Old 09-13-2017, 06:16 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
We recently went through a similar experience after living in the same place for 25 years. amazing how much junk can accumulate in that time, must have given 60 bags of stuff to goodwill, furniture was given to friends, the piano was a tough one to give away as nobody wants old pianos anymore. we are now in our new place 80% lighter in accumulated stuff,however we still have many boxes and bins full of stuff.

Old 09-15-2017, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I've never really understood the purpose of iced tea makers. I boil water, throw in some tea, and let if cool. I guess I'm missing something?
Laziness or convenience, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues