Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2017, 01:41 PM

12,839 posts, read 9,562,557 times

Advertisements

When I moved to DC from Texas, I called for quotes instead of getting it online. Very out of character for me, but I wanted to talk to someone live, and it did pay off. The lady helped me save quite a bit of money when she told me that it would be a few hundred cheaper if I returned it in DC instead of ARlington, VA, because of supply and demand.

Fast forward three years, I am moving to Denver. This time, I did get quotes online, but at the very end of the process, I decided to chat with a representative online. I told her their online quote was quite a bit higher than a competitors. She responded that they were willing to go lower, but I would have to pick the truck up in Bethesda. Great. A week later, just out of curiosity, I reached out via chat again and asked if I could pick up in Arlington instead of Bethesda, as that would save me 20 miles. The person in chat said it would be the same price in Arlington, so I made the switch. An hour later, the owner of the Bethesda location called me and said he would lower his quote if I would keep the Bethesda reservation.

Moral: many of these places are independently owned. Price could be negotiated, but it's up to you to do so. Talk to a live person, not a machine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues