Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2017, 08:38 PM

430 posts, read 335,249 times

Advertisements

I didn't know if this should go here or elsewhere, but this seemed like the best place.

Basically I'm a 20yo who's moved prior. I moved from city to city on my own and am used to doing that solo. I currently live on my own and do my own thing, working and such. So I am independent as well. I've just never moved from state to state, especially far off, and never traveled across state lines for work.

I've recently gotten into construction and, unlucky timing and all, I'll be done with training in late October, that time of the year where it can pretty much start snowing any day. I know people travel across state lines for work, however, and I plan on moving to the destination/seasonal work state anyway, so I figured 'why not try working there since I'll basically be out of work during the winter anyway?'.

However, I just have no idea on HOW. Like how, and when, do I reroute mail? What about W-2s? I have a MN license and insurance, what do I do about that if the job requires their states insurance and license? What about plates, health insurance, and obviously my stuff back home? I plan on renting a room, so I at least have that going for me. A month to month or 6mo.

I obviously plan on visiting the state prior to attempt to secure work/housing before making the big trip, but I'm also clearly inexperienced in what to do for a seasonal period. Ideally, 6 months.

I know someone will think 'why not just stay?'. Well a variety of reasons are at play. For one, I am in training and know my mind well. I will forget everything I've learned soon if I don't have some way to apply it before it becomes habit. Second is the fact that, as I learned from workers, unless I'm in a union/have experience, I'm screwed during the winters out here. Which brings me back to the whole 'forgetting new knowledge' issue. Third reason is I'm hoping to be able to make good enough money to not struggle during the winter, working a job I continuously hate just to pay bills while I know good and damn well that I don't care about the threat of termination.

tl;dr for the lazy soul: How to move across state lines for work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 07:07 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,057,214 times
You state that you have moved before, what is different about this move that you can't pull from those experiances and do similar?

What specifically are your questions? This is really all I could ferret out of the post.

Quote:
However, I just have no idea on HOW. Like how, and when, do I reroute mail? What about W-2s? I have a MN license and insurance, what do I do about that if the job requires their states insurance and license? What about plates, health insurance, and obviously my stuff back home? I plan on renting a room, so I at least have that going for me. A month to month or 6mo.
How/When to reroute mail? When you move is the easy answer. You can have your current mail held at the post office, and when you obtain an address at your next location you can have that forwarded. Do it all at the USPS website for simplicity. If it takes awhile for you to find a new place to live, you can get a post office box or a box at a UPS store.

What about your W-2s? Ensure your previous employer has your new address. Ensure your new employer has your new address. Not sure what you're asking here, but you should know that you'll likely have to file taxes for both states you're in provided your state has income tax. Also, if this is a work related move and meets some criteria, you can deduct some expenses on the federal side.

Plates, DLs, Insurance? Is this a permanent move? If you're a resident of a new state, you'll usually have to transfer everything over in most cases. See your new state's BMV/DMV webpage and call your insurer. Bring your title with you.

Health insurance? Do you have it now? Will it transfer with you? Will your new job provide insurance? What does your insurer say? If you are currently going through treatment for something, BPT grab a copy of your records.

What about your stuff back home? Take it with you, leave it home, sell some, donate some, whatever. You have a myriad of options here. What about your stuff back home do you have a question about?

* After reading a couple of times, the only reason we are talking about winter is you will move and then not have a job as construction is seasonal. How will you support yourself over the winter in a seasonal job?

Old 09-02-2017, 04:30 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,232,277 times
If I'm understanding you correctly, you have a seasonal job already lined up in another state.

Whether you rent a room or an apartment, I would strongly advise that you do not sign a lease or pay a deposit over the internet. It may seem convenient to have all that worked out before you move, but it's too easy to create a fake listing with a nonexistent address and cribbed photos. While it's a bit of a hassle, better to stay in a hotel for a few days while you look for a room. Plan for at least a week--time for you to arrive, look around for some places, complete an application, wait for their background check, etc.

Until you are legitimately established in a new address, your old address qualifies as your legitimate address, for the purposes of completing W-2 forms and insurance etc. I wouldn't worry about all of that too much. When you start the job, list your old (out of state) address, or the address of the hotel. You can update that information very easily later.

You can have your mail held until you have rented your room. I think the post office can hold mail for 90 days.

I would be very surprised if the job required in-state license and insurance. Usually they just want a valid license and insurance. Especially for a seasonal job. You can update your license when you get a chance--go to the DMV on the weekend after you get settled, and then tell HR and let them make a copy of it. You can notify them of your new mailing address before you have your ID though. Get new license plates at the same time you get your new license, and notify your car insurance company that day or the day after.

For all of my solo moves, I have run cost analysis of hiring pros vs. DIY, and found equal if not cheaper to hire the pros. I've done DIY moves with myself and they cost the same or more because it takes so much more time to do it yourself. In addition to drive time, you'll need to add at least one day of rental fee to load and another to unload. Plus added fees for a tow dolly for your vehicle, and more fees for pads and blankets and stuff. By comparison, professional movers have always had my home loaded up in about two hours and unloaded in about an hour. They dis- and re-assemble my bed and dining table. Most have very reasonable storage rates and some will even offer 30-days free storage, so you don't have to worry about having a delivery address when they pick everything up. Note you still want to box up all of your own belongings, otherwise it will be very expensive. Make sure you number each box and keep a list of each box and what is in it (for insurance purposes as well as ease of finding stuff while you are unpacking).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues