Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 10:31 PM

36 posts, read 25,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
Well there's a positive attitude if I ever saw one.
Thank you.

Old 10-03-2017, 05:03 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,606,794 times
Sleepless, you paint with a broad brush. That trait will greatly hurt you if you move to Iowa.

1) Not all churches are evil. Look in your area for churches that do solid community outreach. They have members willing to help.

2) Do you honestly think *all* college students are poor drivers and do drugs? Really? Look for those in nursing or pre-med who are driving for Uber or Lyft.
Why? Nursing - pre-med - math/sciences in general are demanding and students who go into them are bright and generally careful with resources. I don't see them doing drugs or smashing up cars. It's where I look first when I need student helpers. It's a win-win: I get help and they get some cash.

Part of being successful in this area of the country is learning to get along with people. Yes, there are some red-eyed meth users that need to be avoided, but there are also many good people, but you need to be willing to reach out with an open mind.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:12 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,518 posts, read 6,325,899 times
I haven't used them so I cant vouch for this service but you might want to check out Uship. Its a shipping service listed on eBay. Haulers bid to ship your item and you pick one. They get feedback just like regular buyers and sellers so you can check them out to see how theyre doing.

How it works.

https://learn.uship.com/

Old 10-03-2017, 12:07 PM

496 posts, read 411,474 times
There are people that drive the Amish around. In our area they often have large vans with trailers hitched to the back. I do not know how much they charge or how to contact them, but this would seem to be an option worth exploring.

Old 10-03-2017, 01:44 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeplessinindiana View Post
Hi. We need to move state, but do not drive. Big family, and small amount of things. Probably fit in a full-size van with one row of seats in the back, or a minivan and closed trailer.

There are no flights, buses, trains, uber, or taxi where we are going. Flights, bus, and taxi to final destination we are looking at a good $3,000-$4,000. Figured someone could drive us for maybe $1,000 and we can get it all at once.

It's a 12 hour drive. Anything like this exist? Thanks!

Yes. You can look for a local moving company in your area. Just check the reviews and prices. Sometimes they can spare a driver. We had to do this one time back from Fl to TN. My DH hurt his back and couldn't drive. We rented a U-haul truck and hired a driver(s) from a local moving company. They loaded the truck for us and drove it. We met them in TN and they unloaded the truck. We paid for their hotel that night and got them a one way car rental for them to drive home. It was very reasonable.

Old 10-03-2017, 02:04 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,232,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeplessinindiana View Post
That would be WAY too expensive though. I can't afford that. How much does it even cost to bring furniture on a plane?

Walk.

I don't use ATMs.
You didn't say you were moving furniture, you said you had 'a small amount of personal things' that would fit in the back of a van.

Buy new furniture. $3-4k to move a 'large family' is a bargain. Good luck walking everywhere in Iowa.

Old 10-03-2017, 03:15 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,528,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingercoyote View Post
There are people that drive the Amish around. In our area they often have large vans with trailers hitched to the back. I do not know how much they charge or how to contact them, but this would seem to be an option worth exploring.
This. This is how the local Amish handle it. Are you part of an Amish colony? Otherwise moving to Iowa where there is little to no public transportation seems like creating a near impossible situation for yourself.

Old 10-03-2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
I haven't used them so I cant vouch for this service but you might want to check out Uship. Its a shipping service listed on eBay. Haulers bid to ship your item and you pick one. They get feedback just like regular buyers and sellers so you can check them out to see how theyre doing.

How it works.

https://learn.uship.com/
Went to their website. Unfortunately, it looks like they are just a shipping company.

Old 10-03-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Yes. You can look for a local moving company in your area. Just check the reviews and prices. Sometimes they can spare a driver. We had to do this one time back from Fl to TN. My DH hurt his back and couldn't drive. We rented a U-haul truck and hired a driver(s) from a local moving company. They loaded the truck for us and drove it. We met them in TN and they unloaded the truck. We paid for their hotel that night and got them a one way car rental for them to drive home. It was very reasonable.
Uhaul only has moving vehicles though.

Old 10-03-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
This. This is how the local Amish handle it. Are you part of an Amish colony? Otherwise moving to Iowa where there is little to no public transportation seems like creating a near impossible situation for yourself.
You are legally required to be Amish to live in Iowa? What?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues