Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 01:58 PM

373 posts, read 377,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krsy View Post
Last move we vacated the old house, stored most of the stuff and lived in our 5th wheel on the new property for much longer than I had anticipated. Our new house had to be gutted, so it was nice to be on-site. It was easy for us being in the same Zip Code.

After the first 6 months of trailer life and the old house was long sold, I insisted my husband get help. I knew at that point with him doing all the work at his age, after work and on weekends that I was likely to die in the trailer. My husband has all the skills, he built other houses from the ground up, but that was many moons ago and his full time job then.

For your own sanity, I would suggest you move out to MA with the dogs and let your husband clean up and ready for sale or, if finances allow, put the dogs in a kennel for a week or two in MA and return to help hubby. Do put a time limit on that, otherwise it could go on much longer than you hope.

I think empty homes show well, just make sure you label the rooms in the pictures and provide measurements.
Wise advice, thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2017, 04:55 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
If it were me I'd move to Mass house taking only what you need. Then I'd either have a neighbor or hire someone to check on the Cali house. because the Cali house isn't going to freeze during the winter like the Mass house.

That solves the dogs and how to ready your home in Cali to sell. You could always go back and forth, or hire someone for painting etc. Have a couple tag sales after you've edited down your things to move.

Once your Cali house is empty it won't seem so overwhelming.

Old 10-14-2017, 09:12 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,031,434 times
I would not leave anything in the CA house for staging. I just entered escrow with my house in CA and it was empty, nothing for furniture at all.

I also recently (last year) settled my mom's estate and the two empty, just fixed up rental properties both sold within a week. Her home, with my messy brother living in it, was the slowest to sell, even though it was in a much better area.

I'd recommend that you spend the next two months packing a room each week of the things you are moving, and donate the other things. Hubbie could follow you and as you empty a room, the next week he does his part. Then after Christmas you and the dogs move to MA and leave hubbie to finish the last of the house, or move with you and hire it out. If you have the funds you could get a container in your driveway, like a packrat now and just pack it as you go over the next few months.

Winter selling can be good, not much competition And the market is hot now in CA, who knows what will happen in the future.

Old 10-14-2017, 09:54 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
I think you should talk to a real estate agent. For all you know, you may be able to sell it as-is for way more than you thought.

Ask a good agent what to do, and how much you can list it for, and what needs to be done to get different prices for it.

Depending on where your place is located, it might not be a bad time to sell, and you may even get a great price as-is. After all, the weather is still great in CA - sunny and not rainy yet, etc.

Old 10-15-2017, 08:09 AM

373 posts, read 377,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I think you should talk to a real estate agent. For all you know, you may be able to sell it as-is for way more than you thought.

Ask a good agent what to do, and how much you can list it for, and what needs to be done to get different prices for it.

Depending on where your place is located, it might not be a bad time to sell, and you may even get a great price as-is. After all, the weather is still great in CA - sunny and not rainy yet, etc.
Worth trying. Thanks. At present the median price for single family homes here is $825,000. Feels like the bottom could fall out of this insane market any time . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues