U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 10:18 PM

882 posts, read 577,514 times

Advertisements

So, we're having some work done on our house because we're moving and want to make sure it's in decent shape for tenants. Today we had a grout and caulking guy over. The job was $780. I noticed my wife had taken $60 out of my wallet as she was writing the check. I quickly took the money from the table and put it back in my wallet. She just gave me a stare and gave the guy his check. She was upset with me after he left saying she wanted to give the guy the $60 as a tip. I told we would go broke tipping all the contractors like that. I'm questioning how many other people tip contractors like that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2017, 05:19 AM

31,801 posts, read 72,822,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking View Post
So, we're having some work done on our house...
I'm questioning how many other people tip contractors like that.
Employees yes. The lower paid people especially so.
Contractors (owners) no.

Last edited by MrRational; 10-21-2017 at 05:46 AM..

Old 10-21-2017, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Employees yes. The lower paid people especially so.
Contractors (owners) no.
I'm curious as to why you even think an employee deserves it for doing a job that was contracted out. About the only reason I can see doing this in a job that was contracted out was if the person did something above and beyond what another workman would have done. I don't believe a customer is responsible for someone's wage (that's the employer's responsibility). He should charge a price that enables him to employ people at a competitive wage, and as a customer, I will decide if that price is acceptable to me.

Old 10-21-2017, 06:38 AM

31,801 posts, read 72,822,096 times
Quote:
I'm curious as to why you even think an employee deserves it for doing (their job).
That's how I was raised: to look out for the guy at the bottom.

How and how much they'll be tipped can and should vary.
Twenty minutes in & out will get less than someone who spends the whole day.
---

In the example you gave in the OP I wouldn't tip either.
That guy was the "contractor" (whether licensed or just a craigslist jackleg)

Old 10-21-2017, 08:28 AM

29,448 posts, read 71,120,091 times
We just bought them Beer and Pizza on Fridays or at least some Fridays if they had done good work. If they were lazing around, messing up or fighting with each other we just weren't around at the end of the day on Friday.

One guy had a very sick child who needed special treatment the guy could not afford, We gave him $2000 to help out. I would not go far, but with other people helping too, he was able to get the treatment.

We gave them Christmas presents - at least the ones we knew and liked. Some of them were awful people, we may have given them an apple or something, probably not. the two guys who were spitting their tobacco juice on our bedroom floor while working got nothing (but I got to spend weeks trying to remove the stains)

Old 10-21-2017, 08:56 AM

17,914 posts, read 3,612,156 times
A tip is a "good job done - thank you". I hope the contractor did not have to watch you snatch up the money. Taaaaacky!
We normally tip 10% if the work was well done. Good contractors are hard to find and busy.

Old 10-21-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
A tip is a "good job done - thank you". I hope the contractor did not have to watch you snatch up the money. Taaaaacky!
We normally tip 10% if the work was well done. Good contractors are hard to find and busy.
I'm not the least bit concerned if it looked tacky. I'll stand by the merits of my comment (which I have yet to see a rational rebuttal on). The job was a little over $50 per hour. I think that was enough. I haven't had much of a problem finding decent contractors/handy men for the work we've needed to have done. Most contractors I know make a pretty good living, so don't feel the "help the little guy" scenario from another poster fits the bill (but it does help with a sympathy vote).

Last edited by Independentthinking; 10-21-2017 at 09:32 AM..

Old 10-21-2017, 10:52 AM

13,949 posts, read 12,903,568 times
Quote:
So, we're having some work done on our house because we're moving and want to make sure it's in decent shape for tenants. Today we had a grout and caulking guy over. The job was $780. I noticed my wife had taken $60 out of my wallet as she was writing the check. I quickly took the money from the table and put it back in my wallet. She just gave me a stare and gave the guy his check. She was upset with me after he left saying she wanted to give the guy the $60 as a tip. I told we would go broke tipping all the contractors like that. I'm questioning how many other people tip contractors like that.
Why on earth would you ever tip a contractor? They're not making $2 an hour!

Old 10-21-2017, 11:15 AM

2,992 posts, read 3,542,894 times
When I worked in the construction/service industry it was always nice to get a tip afterwards. It didn't usually happen, maybe 1 out of 5 jobs or so. We worked hard and always went above and beyond so it was nice recognition of that. It was usually only $5-$20 but there were very occasional higher ones.

Because of this I always tip someone who is doing work for me if they do a good job. It's funny how were socially expected to tip the coffee girl $1 for handing over a cup of coffee, but if someone does great work at your house all day a tip isn't always considered.

Old 10-21-2017, 03:21 PM

94 posts, read 67,873 times
Depends. If it is a job that, as I see it was underestimated in the original bid and the contractor doesn’t request more then I tip whole heartedly. If someone is helping out (like day labor and such) and they really work hard and I can tell they earned it, they get a tip.

If I hire a contractor for x, y, z and he does x, y, z, no tip.

Hubby tips waitresses well and I like that, but heck no, I ain’t giving even spare change to someone handing me a coffee in a cardboard cup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues