Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2017, 07:58 AM

10,086 posts, read 5,728,873 times

Advertisements

Last weekend, I hired a national moving company to handle my move from one apartment to another. Everything up to the move was great. They called me close to the moving date to verify the appointment and showed up on time. I was sold on their good price, and the guy on the phone told me that all their movers have to go through a training and certification program. The reviews for my area were outstanding as well.

The mover arrived and wasn't very friendly with me. Just all business. That's fine, but certainly didn't match the reviews that talked about how great these guys are. He went over the contract and I opted out of getting insurance as it was pretty expensive. I explained to him that my goal was to try and get the move done within an hour which I thought would be unlikely. He said he would start the clock and then let me know half-way and see we would make the goal.

And then I just had to marvel at my typical bad luck. It has not rained here in over a month yet once they started in on the move, the bottom fell out of the sky. It came a heavy downpour as soon as the guy were getting ready to load my mattress. I trusted these guys as professionals that they knew what to do in this type weather and their truck was pretty close. But when I asked the guy if my mattress got wet, he said yeah it got some water on it. Huh?? I thought these movers had like plastic tarps or gear for this kind of thing. They also moved my bookshelves which pretty much all broke apart. I didn't blame them for that as these things were very flimsy, but they just dumped all the pieces at the new place and didn't apologize or act like they cared.

When I saw my mattress topper, I got pretty hot. Not only was it wet, it had dirt and mud on it. It looked like they had just dragged the thing on the ground. The guy asked if I wanted to pose for a picture with them for facebook and give them a 5 star review. I declined and he was taken aback. The guy left the paperwork at my old apartment so we had to make a trip back to get it. Also, they ran off and forgot their dolly! lol Being ticked off about the mattress, I was tempted to just not even call them, that's their problem, but I couldn't do that. I called them immediately and the guy was like oh, alright, I guess I'll come back and get it. I needed to get back to the old apartment to move more stuff, but I waited for an hour for them to come get the dolly. They didn't show. When I went back to the old apartment, another guy texted me if he could come now to get the dolly. So I had to drive back over there. Not a big deal, but it did lend more to my impression of unprofessionalism.

I cooled off later when I saw that only the mattress topper was wet and dirty. Thankfully the cover zips off so I was able to put it in the wash. Now I'm torn if I should complain or post a bad review on these guys. On the plus side, they did take care of everything super fast and got me down within an hour and only cost me $200. I would probably use them against just for the cheap price. lol

Old 10-23-2017, 10:52 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,518,461 times
I'd definitely call and complain about the mattress. This is just poor business practice to drag a mattress through the mud. Also post about your experiences on Yelp or similar. This often brings action from those in charge.

Old 10-26-2017, 10:12 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,031,072 times
Gosh, I have a hard time blaming them if they only moved you and did not pack you too. Seems unlikely that they were to pack anything in an hour. So I am assuming they did not pack you.

I always bought a mattress box or at least the plastic bag for the mattresses. Both the box and bag keep the mattress clean and more likely free of bugs or whatever. I would think it was your responsibility to have the mattress packed properly for moving it. And I think that the movers were likely thinking, but being too nice to say, YUCK we have to touch her mattress, not even a wrap on it to protect our hands from whatever she does on that mattress.

I have moved 7 times and my mattresses were always in a mattress box or bag. The box springs too!

Old 10-28-2017, 08:49 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,443,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
Gosh, I have a hard time blaming them if they only moved you and did not pack you too. Seems unlikely that they were to pack anything in an hour. So I am assuming they did not pack you.

I always bought a mattress box or at least the plastic bag for the mattresses. Both the box and bag keep the mattress clean and more likely free of bugs or whatever. I would think it was your responsibility to have the mattress packed properly for moving it. And I think that the movers were likely thinking, but being too nice to say, YUCK we have to touch her mattress, not even a wrap on it to protect our hands from whatever she does on that mattress.

I have moved 7 times and my mattresses were always in a mattress box or bag. The box springs too!
This is a good post.
When hiring movers there's a difference in price if they'll pack stuff up for you or not.
It sounds like you didn't pay for them to pack you and that's why the mattress was moved as it was.

That being said, I don't see anything wrong with posting an honest review of your experience.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:38 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,334,553 times
Our movers suggested/encouraged plastic bags specifically made for mattresses. If I recall correctly, if we didn't supply them, they would do it and charge us. I really don't believe they gave us the option of not using a bag. They said they could supply them at a cost or we could save money by getting them ourselves at Home Depot. They would be happy to put them into the bags at no charge.

It covers their butt for any damage or dirt.

Since our king mattress was so heavy and awkward, we let hem bag that one. We did the box springs and the queen set ourselves.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:48 PM

25 posts, read 25,653 times
You don’t state the size or distance of the move but at any rate you got what you paid for. We are doing a double move. My husband is in a 700 sq ft apartment and they are moving him 15 miles- $500 quote- he’s packing but not tearing down any furniture. Indianapolis- United Van Lines. My pack and move for a PARTIALLY furnished 3,000 sq ft house from SC to Indianapolis-7k.

Old 11-09-2017, 06:37 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,940,752 times
I would definitely call and let them know the facts. Understandably the weather was a factor, and maybe they felt pressured by your "under an hour" parameter. Give them both the positive (information prior to move, the price/quote itself and the fact that it was complete in less than an hour) and the reality of what happened. Keep it simple and to the fact, the scheduler should know that you were slightly inconvenienced and that the handling of some of the furniture was careless.

Old 11-09-2017, 06:56 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,269,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
They called me close to the moving date to verify the appointment and showed up on time. I would probably use them against just for the cheap price. lol
I'd say they did all right for the "cheap price" and considering it was during a very heavy downpour.....guess you get what you pay for......couldn't have been that bad , as you say you'd "use them again".
Complaining won't do any good anyways.

Old 11-09-2017, 09:28 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,069,126 times
I would have boxed or bagged my mattress as well . I always do and I have made 5 trips going to a lot of states back and forth . Last time we had everything packed 2 months beforehand and it was a breeze . Next time will be our last move hopefully because we will be retiring and moving to our retirement home and I will hire movers but I will pack most of the stuff myself and they can load the truck . It is so much easier and more smooth doing it that way . You got a deal at 200 don't sweat it and chalk this up to a learning experience .

Old 11-09-2017, 01:14 PM

384 posts, read 376,086 times
You said that you want to complain yet use them again for the cheap price? It was your responsibility to cover the mattress. They didn't ruin anything , don't complain if anything be grateful that you are moved and its over. Yes , you got a deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.