Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 07:36 AM

73 posts, read 113,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezhilan View Post
Hi,
Today most of the movers need your mail id and phone number, not to contact you they want to promote themselves. Your personal information is one of their bases to improve their sales. It's mandatory for them to select those. You can ask them to make the onsight survey and do the rest of the things like that. Other than surveying and delivery quotes, they won't use the mailing system.

Or else use one junk mail to get your inbox spam free.
This is an inaccurate statement.

Movers are salesmen, Yes, But it's not like we are going to convince you to purchase our services like a Door to Door salesman, or a Used Car Salesmen. You either need us, Or you don't. You're not going to get an email from a mover saying "Hey, We've got a great deal if you want to move to the Pacific North West next week!"

It doesn't work like this, because nobody wakes up and says "I think i'm going to move today..." We don't gather up your information to sell it off either. We've got better things to do, like our jobs.

A number that you can be reached at is crucial for communication. an Email is crucial for sending documents and information to you.

Now, If you're going through a Broker, This is a different story. You should always deal directly with the mover themselves, Not a third party management company. These folks are only adding commission on top of the costs that you would be already paying. Selling your information isn't out of the question with these folks, as all they're doing is playing the middle man between you, and the mover they contracted out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 08:47 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,698,541 times
FWIW I moved from San Francisco to South Carolina in 2015. The cost was just under $5000. I moved one bed (no mattresses) a couple of dressers, kitchen items, art works, lamps, clothes and a couple of small tables. Total of 189 boxes/pieces. It ended up being about $1/lb. It took about 2 weeks from end to end transportation.
One factor to watch out for is time of year premium. You will pay more moving during the late spring and summer than you will in the fall or winter.

Old 07-05-2022, 06:47 PM

114 posts, read 600,808 times
Sorry for bumping an old thread but do not give moving companies your real email or phone number! Use an app like Text Now to make a fake number and use a email you don’t mind getting spammed.

When I moved to Colorado five years ago I gave a company my real number/email and within days I had over 1,000 emails and 300 calls from them. It was so bad I had to change my number/email. I sued the company and we settled out of court. I’ll never make that mistake again.

Old 07-09-2022, 07:58 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty0604 View Post
Sorry for bumping an old thread but do not give moving companies your real email or phone number! Use an app like Text Now to make a fake number and use a email you don’t mind getting spammed.

When I moved to Colorado five years ago I gave a company my real number/email and within days I had over 1,000 emails and 300 calls from them. It was so bad I had to change my number/email. I sued the company and we settled out of court. I’ll never make that mistake again.

Good advice. I'm noticing a lot of different sites want an email addy for just about everything these days. I close the page

Old 07-10-2022, 07:00 AM

3,067 posts, read 2,394,719 times
I used U-pack (with the Relocube option) and I don't think I ever got any spam or extra calls.

Two Men and a Truck unloaded my stuff--no spam from them, either.

I recommend both companies.

Old 07-17-2022, 02:36 PM

398 posts, read 206,154 times
Lost my phone had to get a new one and was forced to get a G-mail, THEN ! Google wants my birthday, OK and quickly made up a fake.

Anyway search temporary e-mail
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues