Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 09:36 AM

99 posts, read 317,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeman View Post
The problem is that I am moving from Boston to California, and I am DEFINITELY not driving. I'm having my cars shipped (and they have to be empty of all items) and I am flying---no way will I drive that far, sorry.
So, any other ideas on how to get the (unloaded) guns across the country?
Will the airlines take them in cargo?
I don't know about cargo but, I've sent them checked baggage. The airlines have rules posted on their web sites for this. It's nerve wracking. Checked bags go missing all the time. How many of those are "appropriated" by some baggage handler? What are the odds on a gun case?

Those were the thoughts in my mind when traveling with $4000 worth of shotguns for a shoot in Montana. They made it, but the airport has a separate area for them which I didn't know about. When they never came down the luggage chute, I freaked!

You can buy additional insurance for them but it would be cheaper to sell them and buy new ones at the other end. The insurance bill to cover $4000 worth of guns for one round trip flight? $1800. CRAZY

Forget Ammo. One box is all they will allow.

Only one end of a UPS shipment must have an FFL. You could UPS them to a gun shop in your new town. Check with them first of course. Use a UPS hub rather than a store. The store clerks 1.don't know jack abut it. 2. are just as likely as a baggage handler to steal them. 3. reluctant to take the responsibility. I've shipped guns back to manufacturers and repair facilities this way. A proper box, hand them to the guy at the UPS hub, done. At a store? Mass confusion, argument, attitude, editorial comment, etc.

They will ship ammo as well. Extra hasmat fee. Can go from you to you rather than an intermediary. Expensive any way you cut it.

Happy reading!

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-13-2010 at 02:04 PM.. Reason: Deleted off-topic comments (plus, this thread is almost 2 years old)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 08:11 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
Quote:
Well, I have a number of firearms and ammo, plus propane tanks for the grill, matches, candles, paint, houseplants, all the crap everybody usually has! How are you supposed to move this stuff across country??
Generally when you move long distances, you don't take every.single.little.thing you own.

They don't take house plants because they will die en route. If you refuse to drive cross country yourself, then throw them out. Or plant them in the backyard for the new owners to enjoy. Or donate them to the hospital. Is it really that much of a problem to get new houseplants when you get there?? I'm having trouble imaging it.

Obviously a full propane tank is a hazard, and an empty one....why would you want to pay to move an empty tank to the other side of the continent? Based on the cost of a new tank and a refill, the estimated value of an empty tank is ~$30. At the rates interstate movers charge why would you even think of taking it with you, even if they agreed? It's cheaper to buy a new one than to pay the relocation cost.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:11 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Check the Californina laws. IIRC, if you ship to a CA-FFL they are going to have to enter it into their system, you'll have to go through the NICS check all over again, and pay an additional transfer fee.

I believe yu can UPS the ammo to yourself, if CA law allows it, better check on that one too. CA has some pretty restrictive firearms laws that they have attempted to extend to ammo in the past. DOn't recall if they were successful on the ammo measures. Shipping UPS won't be cheap and will have to have the appropriate ordinance marking on the exterior of the box.

Personally, with guns & ammo, I would absolutely take the time and effort to make the drive. It will only take 3.5-4 days and you'll see lots of the country along the way.

Old 03-28-2010, 02:01 PM

99 posts, read 317,490 times
We rectently had several moving companies give us estimates for our move from San Diego to Idaho. A 1500 mile move. The quotes are in the range of $.55-$.60 a pound. There would be a minimum but I didn't catch what it is. Their estimate of our stuff is 7900 pounds. One might infer that a similar size load going twice the distance would be about twice the cost per pound. I don't know if that's true but, I might infer it. Our estimate includes an extra "bulk" charge for our quads. Total estimate:$4400 (not to exceed) with extra insurance. They get the back injury, not me. Totally worth it.

Surprizingly, they do take guns! We were told to pack them in cases then box the cases. Have a list of the serial numbers for the driver (the responsible party.) DO NOT LABLE THE BOXES AS FIREARMS. The crews are often local hire / day labor. They do not take ammo, propane tanks, things that might bo boom. They do take empty fuel tanks, like the ones on our quads, which they will be moving.

As mentioned in another post, I'd junk the propane tank and get a new one. Either discard the ammo and get new or UPS it to someone on the other end. It's about $20 hazard fee plus whatever the shipping rate is for the weight of the box. FFL is not required, signature is. UPS will cover your box with stickers proclaiming it to be EXPLOSIVE! The drivers seem to enjoy this (not.)

Hope this helps.

Old 03-29-2010, 05:02 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Honestly if you are a gun guy, store your guns with parents or other people not living in CA, do your minimal stint of work there and move on to greener pastures.

I have carried guns packed in soft cases and then all the soft cases packed tight into a gun safe. If you don't yet own a gun safe, let this be your excuse to get one, not necessarily a really good heavy one, but a decent one.

To do the above you would need to drive a U-haul or similar. Their smallest truck is not horrible on gas, you can take most of your non-shippable stuff.

The propane bottles, though, I would sell where you are and buy new ones when you arrive.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:37 AM

54 posts, read 108,757 times
I couldnt move to cali with my weapons. (Class III)

Either way, I am moving to VA with them and about 35,000 roudns of ammo. I trust no one and am moving them myself on a rental truck. My ammo alone weighs 2000 pounds.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:04 AM

1,194 posts, read 4,125,728 times
I think Borsig is correct in the trust thing. I trust almost no one either with the exception of my Vietnam Veteran buddies. After being wounded 3x in Nam trust is huge and today's world is just how much can I jam the next guy....

Nevah happen to a VN Vet using Vietnam buddies for assistance. However, I would sell most of my stash if I had the amount of rounds you have. I have 9,000 rounds for my 7 handguns and 3,000 rounds for my M16. I would reduce my stash to less than half.

Think about it but do what you believe is good for you and good luck in traveling.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:45 PM

1 posts, read 5,704 times
Default Moving with Guns

Check with Atlas Van Lines/Mayflower. They WILL pack and move guns across the country. No ammo, though: that you will have to pack in the car (locked in some states).

Good luck.

S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues