Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 06:21 PM

65 posts, read 522,298 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at the rules for ABF-U pack and these are things (among other things) that cannot be shipped on one of their trailers:

Fuels/oil Fire Arms or Ammunition
Paint/Varnishes Cleaning chemicals
Propane Live plants
Paint thinner Aerosol cans
Matches/Candles Insecticides

Well, I have a number of firearms and ammo, plus propane tanks for the grill, matches, candles, paint, houseplants, all the crap everybody usually has! How are you supposed to move this stuff across country?? I planned to use ABF-U pack to move my stuff, and I would fly out. If they won't take anything from the above list, I don't suppose a big mover like Berkins would take it either!

So what do you do? Especially about the guns and ammo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 07:44 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,987,000 times
Everytime I've moved I have just gotten a U-Haul truck and drove myself. With gun locks on the guns and them boxed up in the back.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:46 PM

16,174 posts, read 32,327,276 times
Hi Joe,

We had the same problem as you when we moved from TX to TN. We had two propane tanks that they wouldn't transport, even if we had them certified empty. We ended up giving those to a neighbor and bought new when we got to TN. We got rid of all candles, live plants and cleaning stuff before we left. We put a small box of cleaning stuff in our car and transported that ourselves. As for guns and ammo; we have a virtual arsenal. My husband and his dad owned a gun and knife shop in TX and we had years of collection also. The van lines did take/bring the empty steel gun safes but hubby loaded a truck down with the guns and ammo and here he came. He drove the 17 hours pretty much straight through with only a 4 hour nap in the truck as he was afraid to leave it unattended. He did cover and insulate everything well with blankets, etc. When his dad passed away last year he did the trip again to bring up those knives and guns, but this time in our personal truck. Just make sure that all of your guns are unloaded. Our ammo was boxed and our guns were cased all except for the one loaded handgun he carried. He did check all state laws for the states he was traveling through for reciprocity laws.

Good luck and may your move be stress free!

I forgot to add one other thing; the movers had us take our lawn mower to a shop and certify that it was empty of all fluids before they would transport it. That was a bit of a hassle as well.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:11 PM

The problem is that I am moving from Boston to California, and I am DEFINITELY not driving. I'm having my cars shipped (and they have to be empty of all items) and I am flying---no way will I drive that far, sorry.
So, any other ideas on how to get the (unloaded) guns across the country?
Will the airlines take them in cargo?

Old 03-18-2008, 09:23 PM

Airlines will take them as cargo and also some cargo airlines will take them. If you go air pack them well. Consider having them shipped from a licensed gun shop to a licensed gun shop via UPS. For these options you have to have approved shipping containers.

By the way, ammo has to go by ground when it is in large quantities. It weighs so much that it might not be worth it. Also, check with DHL.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:26 PM

Thanks to everyone for your answers. It sucks having to get rid of all my paint, cleaning stuff, propane, and the like, but at least the airlines will take my guns and ammo! That's the expensive stuff anyway!

Old 03-18-2008, 09:31 PM

Joe, I just asked my husband about all of this and he asked if you could pack a PODS container yourself and have that shipped? I have no idea but might be worth looking into. Good Luck.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:14 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,198,514 times
We moved from CA to NC. Hubbie drained all fluids from his mower, generator, air compresser etc. We didn't bring any kinds of liquids with us. He packed his guns and ammo seperately in crates but we drove those in a Pensky truck with us. People go hunting all over the world and take their guns with them so I'm sure there is a way to take your guns on an airplane!!

Old 03-19-2008, 11:13 AM

21 posts, read 126,489 times
joeman, first off I would recommend checking on the gun laws in California just to make sure what you're bringing in is OK, especially if you have anything semi-auotmatic. U-Pack is probably asking you to not ship firearms due to liability. Keep in mind its a self-load service and you're not providing an inventory. You do not need to ship through a gun shop.

Last edited by JoeBud; 03-19-2008 at 11:33 AM..

Old 04-01-2008, 02:16 PM

39 posts, read 154,393 times
Joe.. just drive. its not that far and driving across country is really fun. Most Gun lovers move out of Kommifornia. I can not wait to move to a free state and buy whatever my trigger finger wants ... soon..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues